A better console alternative for Windows 7?

A better console alternative for Windows 7?

Ray Barnes-3
I've noticed that a particular legacy program (timingsolution) does not behave the same way on a Xen HVM instance of Windows 7, as it does on a bare metal/non-hypervised instance of Windows 7.  On the bare metal instance i'm able to use the same version of Windows from the same media, then load up TightVNC, install the software and begin work.  But under the Xen HVM instance, it seems like many of the program elements are corrupt on-screen (via VNC) and the screen does not refresh correctly, regardless of whether I use the Xen VNC console of the virtual machine, or TinyVNC installed and connected directly to the virtual machine via its IP address.

Is there some driver I can load to make the console behave more like bare-metal hardware?  Is there some adjustment I can make to Xen?

TIA!

domU config:
----------------------
builder='hvm'

# VM/domain name
name = 'tswin7'
vcpus = '8'
memory = '9000'

vif = [ 'mac=00:16:5e:02:07:45, bridge=brian, model=e1000, script=vif-brian' ]
disk = [ 'phy:/dev/vg00/tswin7,hda,w', 'file:/home/vps/Win7_ultimate_x64.iso,hdc:cdrom,r' ]
boot='dc'
xen_platform_pci=1

# Graphics settings
sdl=0
vnc=1
vnclisten="0.0.0.0"
vncdisplay=9
vncpasswd='xxx'
vncconsole=1

pae=1
nx=1
acpi = '1' # Whether to enable ACPI for guests
apic = '1'
localtime = '1' # Whether system clock is set to localtime or UTC

# Start/stop settings
on_poweroff = 'restart'
on_reboot = 'restart'
on_crash = 'restart'

Re: A better console alternative for Windows 7?

WebDawg
It may require directx or hardware support.