Adaptec 7892 Not Showing

David Isaac Wolinsky
Hi all,

I am trying to boot Xen on a Adaptec 7892 SCSI controller and it isn't even
going into the check routines for the disk!  (Ie, no disks are found and I
can't boot into Xen...)...  It works fine on FC3 and the drivers are
compiled into the kernel (I tried both new and old...).  The machine is an
IBM eSeries 330.

Anyone else have it running on a 7892?

Thanks,
David

RE: Adaptec 7892 Not Showing

Ian Pratt

> I am trying to boot Xen on a Adaptec 7892 SCSI controller and
> it isn't even going into the check routines for the disk!
> (Ie, no disks are found and I can't boot into Xen...)...  It
> works fine on FC3 and the drivers are compiled into the
> kernel (I tried both new and old...).  The machine is an IBM
> eSeries 330.

Are you using the -xen kernel? I doubt the -xen0 kernel has a driver
compiled in for that card.

Are you actually seeing the startup messages for the driver?

[The -xen kernel has a wide variety of modules, but you'll need to build
an initrd]

Ian

Re: Adaptec 7892 Not Showing

David Isaac Wolinsky

>>I am trying to boot Xen on a Adaptec 7892 SCSI controller and
>>it isn't even going into the check routines for the disk!
>>(Ie, no disks are found and I can't boot into Xen...)...  It
>>works fine on FC3 and the drivers are compiled into the
>>kernel (I tried both new and old...).  The machine is an IBM
>>eSeries 330.
>>

>Are you using the -xen kernel? I doubt the -xen0 kernel has a driver
>compiled in for that card.
>
>Are you actually seeing the startup messages for the driver?
>
>[The -xen kernel has a wide variety of modules, but you'll need to build
>an initrd]
>
>Ian

I compiled support directly into the kernel for the AIC7xxx driver, and
it supposedly has support for the 7892.  No I'm not seeing start-up
messages, just that the "SCSI subsystem initialized".

David

RE: Adaptec 7892 Not Showing

Ian Pratt

> I compiled support directly into the kernel for the AIC7xxx
> driver, and it supposedly has support for the 7892.  No I'm
> not seeing start-up messages, just that the "SCSI subsystem
> initialized".

I'd double check that its actually in there...
You might want to add a printk(KERN_ALERT to the start of the driver
init function.

Ian