Announce: rsysklogd

Michael Holzt
Slightly offtopic: I would like to announce the version 0.1 of rsysklogd, a
minimalistic (and small) sysklogd daemon which does not do local logging but
will send all messages to a remote logging host.

I use Xen to make a clean seperation of different services on a single
machine. To ease the administration and monitoring, i do not want to run
a full sysklogd with local logging in each machine, but have the virtual
machines send their messages to the sysklogd in dom0 which will log all.

rsysklogd has especially designed for this use and can not do any other
logging (unlike remote logging capable other solutions like syslog-ng)
resulting in a small footprint, which is good for the memory usage of
virtual machines. Also allows to get rid of logrotate (and therefore often
even of cron and a mta). So i think rsysklogd might be interesting for other
Xen users with a similar usage profile (therefore the announce here).

Download URL: http://kju.de/projekte/rsysklogd/rsysklogd-0.1.tar.gz

Regards
Michael

--
      It's an insane world, but i'm proud to be a part of it. -- Bill Hicks

AW: Announce: rsysklogd

gstammw
Hello Michael,

Sounds great. Is there a debian-package availabel?

Best regards,
Gunther

> -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----

Re: Announce: rsysklogd

Michael Holzt
> Sounds great. Is there a debian-package availabel?

Here you are: http://kju.de/projekte/rsysklogd/rsysklogd_0.1-1_i386.deb

Regards
Michael

--
      It's an insane world, but i'm proud to be a part of it. -- Bill Hicks

Re: Announce: rsysklogd

Nguyen Anh Quynh
On 5/23/05, Michael Holzt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Sounds great. Is there a debian-package availabel?
>
> Here you are: http://kju.de/projekte/rsysklogd/rsysklogd_0.1-1_i386.deb
>

> Regards
> Michael

Micheal, nice tool. but after quick glancing at your code, i spot a
buffer overflow bug. please fix it.

see below excerpt, with notes next to buggy lines:

^^^
  void do_klog_line(unsigned char *msg)
  {
    unsigned char     buffer[BUFSIZE],
                         *gtptr;
    int           len;

    /* copy the message */
    len = strlen(msg);                              <== this should be
len=sizeof(buffer) ?
    memcpy(buffer, msg, len);               <==== BoF here.
^^^

other note: the code mixed with tab and spaces for indentation. could
you use either, but not too at the same time?

keep up the good job ;-)

regards,
aq

Re: Announce: rsysklogd

Michael Holzt-2
> Micheal, nice tool. but after quick glancing at your code, i spot a
> buffer overflow bug. please fix it.

Untrue. Check the source for the data and you will see that it can never
exceed the buffersize. No need to add bloat in form of unnecessary checks.

Regards
Michael

--
      It's an insane world, but i'm proud to be a part of it. -- Bill Hicks