Autoconf fail to check libncurses

fpostic
Hello,

I'm trying to build Xen on FreeBSD from sources.

Autoconf is failing to find libncurses and output this error :

checking Python.h usability... yes
checking Python.h presence... yes
checking for Python.h... yes
checking for PyArg_ParseTuple in -lpython2.7... yes
checking whether Python setup.py brokenly enables -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE... no
checking for xgettext... /usr/local/bin/xgettext
checking for iasl... /usr/sbin/iasl
checking uuid/uuid.h usability... no
checking uuid/uuid.h presence... no
checking for uuid/uuid.h... no
checking uuid.h usability... yes
checking uuid.h presence... yes
checking for uuid.h... yes
checking curses.h usability... yes
checking curses.h presence... yes
checking for curses.h... yes
checking for clear in -lcurses... no
checking ncurses.h usability... yes
checking ncurses.h presence... yes
checking for ncurses.h... yes
checking for clear in -lncurses... no
configure: error: Unable to find a suitable curses library
configure: error: ./configure failed for tools

I tried to build ncurses from source in default /usr/local and with --prefix=/usr.
I tried export CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include/ncurses"
I tried the FreeBSD package too : https://www.freshports.org/devel/ncurses-devel

Nothing works and I don't think it's on FreeBSD. The latest xen package is outdated and I want to test 4.10.

Some people said on internet that libncurses is different from libncurses-dev and that's why it doesn't work but I cant find any sources or specific build options for that.

Thank you for your help.

Re: Autoconf fail to check libncurses

George Dunlap
On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 5:31 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to build Xen on FreeBSD from sources.
>
> Autoconf is failing to find libncurses and output this error :
>
> checking Python.h usability... yes
> checking Python.h presence... yes
> checking for Python.h... yes
> checking for PyArg_ParseTuple in -lpython2.7... yes
> checking whether Python setup.py brokenly enables -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE... no
> checking for xgettext... /usr/local/bin/xgettext
> checking for iasl... /usr/sbin/iasl
> checking uuid/uuid.h usability... no
> checking uuid/uuid.h presence... no
> checking for uuid/uuid.h... no
> checking uuid.h usability... yes
> checking uuid.h presence... yes
> checking for uuid.h... yes
> checking curses.h usability... yes
> checking curses.h presence... yes
> checking for curses.h... yes
> checking for clear in -lcurses... no
> checking ncurses.h usability... yes
> checking ncurses.h presence... yes
> checking for ncurses.h... yes
> checking for clear in -lncurses... no
> configure: error: Unable to find a suitable curses library
> configure: error: ./configure failed for tools
>
> I tried to build ncurses from source in default /usr/local and with --prefix=/usr.
> I tried export CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include/ncurses"
> I tried the FreeBSD package too : https://www.freshports.org/devel/ncurses-devel
>
> Nothing works and I don't think it's on FreeBSD. The latest xen package is outdated and I want to test 4.10.
>
> Some people said on internet that libncurses is different from libncurses-dev and that's why it doesn't work but I cant find any sources or specific build options for that.

Roger, have you seen this one before?

 -George

Re: Autoconf fail to check libncurses

Roger Pau Monné-3
On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 04:47:04AM -0400, [hidden email] wrote:

> UPDATE SOLVED :
> I have found the source of the ./configure script failing and it seems that it is not related to -libncurses but to python2.7.
> I found these lines in config.log for tools :
>
> configure:7733: checking for clear in -lncurses
> configure:7758: cc -o conftest -g -O2       conftest.c -lncurses  -lpython2.7  >
> &5
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lpython2.7
> cc: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
>
> I ran :
> ld -lpython2.7 --verbose and found out that libpython2.7.so located in /usr/local/lib was not found by ld. Linked the lib in /usr/lib solved the problem.

I think this should be solved by:

http://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=xen.git;a=commit;h=fe9b60476a548de1c62d6fc985e9741b04479d36

Roger.