BSOD after installing EJB Digital GPLPV Drivers on fresh Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise

BSOD after installing EJB Digital GPLPV Drivers on fresh Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise

Jan Hejl
Hi everyone,

i've just installed new (clean and fully updated) Windows 2008 R2
Enterprise domU on Xen 4.3.1-r1 (Gentoo, hardened, kernel 3.11.2) as
PVHVM and tried to install GPLPV to make it work as proper PVHVM domU.
But after installing the newest signed drivers from
http://www.ejbdigital.com.au/GPLPV/ (doesn't matter which version) it
seems fine until reboot. Then it throws BSOD with
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (see attached image).

Same problem with older Univention drivers.

When I remove vif device from xen config file, windows domU goes fine,
but it's useless without internet connection.

Any ideas what can be wrong? Disabling IPv6 through regedit didn't help
at all.

Thank you all for you help
Jan

---------------
domU config
---------------

builder='hvm'
memory = 16384
name = "Win2k8R2"
vcpus=8
cpus="8-15"
acpi=1
apic=1
vif = [
        'bridge=xenbr1, script=vif-bridge, mac=00:16:3e:58:cc:24, model=e1000'
]
disk = [
        'phy:/dev/vg0/Snapshot,hda,w',
        'phy:/dev/vg0/Win2k8R2-Data,hdb,w',
        ',hdc:cdrom,r'
        ]
on_poweroff = 'destroy'
on_reboot   = 'restart'
on_crash    = 'restart'
boot="dc"
sdl=0
stdvga=1
vnc=1
vnclisten="127.0.0.1"
vncdisplay=1
xen_platform_pci=1
# localtime=0
audio=1
soundhw='ac97'

http://lists.xen.org/xen-users

xen_bsod.png (16K) Download Attachment
smime.p7s (6K) Download Attachment

Re: BSOD after installing EJB Digital GPLPV Drivers on fresh Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise

James Harper
> Hi everyone,
>
> i've just installed new (clean and fully updated) Windows 2008 R2
> Enterprise domU on Xen 4.3.1-r1 (Gentoo, hardened, kernel 3.11.2) as
> PVHVM and tried to install GPLPV to make it work as proper PVHVM domU.
> But after installing the newest signed drivers from
> http://www.ejbdigital.com.au/GPLPV/ (doesn't matter which version) it
> seems fine until reboot. Then it throws BSOD with
> DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (see attached image).
>
> Same problem with older Univention drivers.
>
> When I remove vif device from xen config file, windows domU goes fine,
> but it's useless without internet connection.
>
> Any ideas what can be wrong? Disabling IPv6 through regedit didn't help
> at all.
>

> vif = [
> 'bridge=xenbr1, script=vif-bridge, mac=00:16:3e:58:cc:24,
> model=e1000'
> ]

Can you try omitting the model from the vif declaration? That's the only difference I can see between yours and my servers.

The crashing driver is reported as sacdrv.sys, but that's part of the OS as far as I can tell. Maybe there is something about the e1000 driver that windows doesn't like having it unplugged by GPLPV?

James

http://lists.xen.org/xen-users

Dne 8.1.2014 01:06, James Harper napsal(a):

>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> i've just installed new (clean and fully updated) Windows 2008 R2
>> Enterprise domU on Xen 4.3.1-r1 (Gentoo, hardened, kernel 3.11.2) as
>> PVHVM and tried to install GPLPV to make it work as proper PVHVM domU.
>> But after installing the newest signed drivers from
>> http://www.ejbdigital.com.au/GPLPV/ (doesn't matter which version) it
>> seems fine until reboot. Then it throws BSOD with
>> DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (see attached image).
>>
>> Same problem with older Univention drivers.
>>
>> When I remove vif device from xen config file, windows domU goes fine,
>> but it's useless without internet connection.
>>
>> Any ideas what can be wrong? Disabling IPv6 through regedit didn't help
>> at all.
>>

>> vif = [
>> 'bridge=xenbr1, script=vif-bridge, mac=00:16:3e:58:cc:24,
>> model=e1000'
>> ]
>
> Can you try omitting the model from the vif declaration? That's the only difference I can see between yours and my servers.
>
> The crashing driver is reported as sacdrv.sys, but that's part of the OS as far as I can tell. Maybe there is something about the e1000 driver that windows doesn't like having it unplugged by GPLPV?
>
> James

Hi James,

unfortunately ommiting model declaration didn't help. I also tried to
install last drivers from uninvention.de (with ommited model
declaration) and it throws another exception (see attachment).

Could you please post your config, please?

Maybe i'm missing something, could you please post your install steps?
Or check mine?

1. Install clean Windows 2008 R2 machine
2. Install all windows updates
3. Install GPLPV drivers.
4. ... it should work, but it doesn't for me ...

Thank you and have a nice day
Jan

http://lists.xen.org/xen-users

xennet.sys.png (16K) Download Attachment

Dne 8.1.2014 21:55, Jan Hejl napsal(a):

[...]

Update: After uninvention.de drivers installation -> BSOD -> reboot, there's Xen network device visible, but inactive with error CODE 31 - windows cannot load driver ...

http://lists.xen.org/xen-users

smime.p7s (6K) Download Attachment

Re: BSOD after installing EJB Digital GPLPV Drivers on fresh Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise

James Harper

> Dne 8.1.2014 01:06, James Harper napsal(a):
> >> Hi everyone,
> >>
> >> i've just installed new (clean and fully updated) Windows 2008 R2
> >> Enterprise domU on Xen 4.3.1-r1 (Gentoo, hardened, kernel 3.11.2) as
> >> PVHVM and tried to install GPLPV to make it work as proper PVHVM
> domU.
> >> But after installing the newest signed drivers from
> >> http://www.ejbdigital.com.au/GPLPV/ (doesn't matter which version) it
> >> seems fine until reboot. Then it throws BSOD with
> >> DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (see attached image).
> >>
> >> Same problem with older Univention drivers.
> >>
> >> When I remove vif device from xen config file, windows domU goes fine,
> >> but it's useless without internet connection.
> >>
> >> Any ideas what can be wrong? Disabling IPv6 through regedit didn't help
> >> at all.
> >>

> >> vif = [
> >> 'bridge=xenbr1, script=vif-bridge, mac=00:16:3e:58:cc:24,
> >> model=e1000'
> >> ]
> >
> > Can you try omitting the model from the vif declaration? That's the only
> difference I can see between yours and my servers.
> >
> > The crashing driver is reported as sacdrv.sys, but that's part of the OS as far
> as I can tell. Maybe there is something about the e1000 driver that windows
> doesn't like having it unplugged by GPLPV?
> >
> > James
> >
> Hi James,
>
> unfortunately ommiting model declaration didn't help. I also tried to
> install last drivers from uninvention.de (with ommited model
> declaration) and it throws another exception (see attachment).
>
> Could you please post your config, please?
>
> Maybe i'm missing something, could you please post your install steps?
> Or check mine?
>
> 1. Install clean Windows 2008 R2 machine
> 2. Install all windows updates
> 3. Install GPLPV drivers.
> 4. ... it should work, but it doesn't for me ...

I always install PV drivers before installing updates (takes forever otherwise), but other than that that's exactly what I do. Installing the updates first won't make a difference.

Next, please make the following changes to your config file, just to test:

Change memory to 2048
Get rid of audio= and soundhw= lines
Change vcpus to 1

If that resolves the problem, please tinker with the above to see if you can isolate which caused the problem. If I get a minute I'll try your config on my server. I'm not confident that it will make any difference though.

Are you using a non-english version of Windows. I seem to remember someone else reporting a problem that I couldn't reproduce, and the only difference was that they were using a non-english version of Windows. If you are, do you have an English language version you could test with to see if the problem remains?

Thanks

James

http://lists.xen.org/xen-users

Dne 8.1.2014 23:01, James Harper napsal(a):

>> domU.

>>> Can you try omitting the model from the vif declaration? That's the only
>> difference I can see between yours and my servers.
>>> The crashing driver is reported as sacdrv.sys, but that's part of the OS as far
>> as I can tell. Maybe there is something about the e1000 driver that windows
>> doesn't like having it unplugged by GPLPV?
>>> James
>>>
>> Hi James,
>>
>> unfortunately ommiting model declaration didn't help. I also tried to
>> install last drivers from uninvention.de (with ommited model
>> declaration) and it throws another exception (see attachment).
>>
>> Could you please post your config, please?
>>
>> Maybe i'm missing something, could you please post your install steps?
>> Or check mine?
>>
>> 1. Install clean Windows 2008 R2 machine
>> 2. Install all windows updates
>> 3. Install GPLPV drivers.
>> 4. ... it should work, but it doesn't for me ...
>>
> I always install PV drivers before installing updates (takes forever otherwise), but other than that that's exactly what I do. Installing the updates first won't make a difference.
>
> Next, please make the following changes to your config file, just to test:
>
> Change memory to 2048
> Get rid of audio= and soundhw= lines
> Change vcpus to 1
>
> If that resolves the problem, please tinker with the above to see if you can isolate which caused the problem. If I get a minute I'll try your config on my server. I'm not confident that it will make any difference though.
>
> Are you using a non-english version of Windows. I seem to remember someone else reporting a problem that I couldn't reproduce, and the only difference was that they were using a non-english version of Windows. If you are, do you have an English language version you could test with to see if the problem remains?
>
> Thanks
>
> James
Changes to domU configuration didn't help.

The only thing that left to be different (in my opinion) was Windows
edition. So I installed Windows 2008 R2 Standard x64 edition (all the
time it is packed with SP1, English version) and it works! Hell yeah! I
also was able to run domU with 8 vcpus and 16GB of memory.

Is there anything that could break things on Enterprise edition? Do you
want me to do some other tests/debugs?

Thank you!
Jan

http://lists.xen.org/xen-users

smime.p7s (6K) Download Attachment

Re: BSOD after installing EJB Digital GPLPV Drivers on fresh Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise

James Harper

> Changes to domU configuration didn't help.
>
> The only thing that left to be different (in my opinion) was Windows
> edition. So I installed Windows 2008 R2 Standard x64 edition (all the
> time it is packed with SP1, English version) and it works! Hell yeah! I
> also was able to run domU with 8 vcpus and 16GB of memory.

So both are English version?

> Is there anything that could break things on Enterprise edition? Do you
> want me to do some other tests/debugs?

2008R2 enterprise is functionally different to standard, so I guess there could be. Can you reliably reproduce this? I think I have it running on 2008R2 enterprise but it's possible that all my servers are standard.

James

http://lists.xen.org/xen-users

Dne 9.1.2014 13:03, James Harper napsal(a):
>> Changes to domU configuration didn't help.
>>
>> The only thing that left to be different (in my opinion) was Windows
>> edition. So I installed Windows 2008 R2 Standard x64 edition (all the
>> time it is packed with SP1, English version) and it works! Hell yeah! I
>> also was able to run domU with 8 vcpus and 16GB of memory.
> So both are English version?
Yes.

>> Is there anything that could break things on Enterprise edition? Do you
>> want me to do some other tests/debugs?
>>
> 2008R2 enterprise is functionally different to standard, so I guess there could be. Can you reliably reproduce this? I think I have it running on 2008R2 enterprise but it's possible that all my servers are standard.
Yes, I can. At least on my infrastructure. I did fresh install with
Enterprise twice today, results were the same. Installed from
7601.17514.101119-1850_x64fre_server_eval_en-us-GRMSXEVAL_EN_DVD.iso
image downloaded from Microsoft web page.

> James
Jan

http://lists.xen.org/xen-users

smime.p7s (6K) Download Attachment