Boot loop after upgrade

Duncan X Simpson
I'm running Xen on Arch Linux. I just did a full system upgrade, and a few hours later I decided to fire up a VM. It failed, spewing something about being out of loop devices. So I decided to reboot and try again. Bad choice. The computer went into a boot loop. Cycle:

Off -> BIOS -> GRUB -> Xen boot output -> Black Screen -> Off

The last message of the Xen boot output is `(XEN) Xen is relinquishing the VGA console.`, and there are no prior messages indicating any errors.

Arch Linux boots normally without Xen. Where can I find `xl dmesg` logs from the previous boot? I obviously can't run it now, since I never get a shell.
--

Duncan X. Simpson, K7DXS

Re: Boot loop after upgrade

Dario Faggioli-2
On Sun, 2017-08-06 at 19:24 +0000, Duncan X Simpson wrote:

> I'm running Xen on Arch Linux. I just did a full system upgrade, and
> a few hours later I decided to fire up a VM. It failed, spewing
> something about being out of loop devices. So I decided to reboot and
> try again. Bad choice. The computer went into a boot loop. Cycle:
>

> Off -> BIOS -> GRUB -> Xen boot output -> Black Screen -> Off
>

> The last message of the Xen boot output is `(XEN) Xen is
> relinquishing the VGA console.`, and there are no prior messages
> indicating any errors.

The best way to debug boot issues is to have a way to capture the
output, with a serial console:
https://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_Serial_Console

Is this something you can do?

Are you using the xen 'noreboot' parameter (you can add it from within
GRUB interactive mode)? That way, you can at least see some of the
output on the screen, and copy the lines (by hand! :-/), or take a
picture (and then upload it somewhere and post here the link, not the
picture itself :-D)

Dario

Re: Boot loop after upgrade

Duncan X Simpson

Sadly, I cannot. It's a pretty new laptop and as such doesn't have a serial port. I'll try the noreboot and report the results. Thank you!

On Wed, Aug 9, 2017, 03:06 Dario Faggioli <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, 2017-08-06 at 19:24 +0000, Duncan X Simpson wrote:
> I'm running Xen on Arch Linux. I just did a full system upgrade, and
> a few hours later I decided to fire up a VM. It failed, spewing
> something about being out of loop devices. So I decided to reboot and
> try again. Bad choice. The computer went into a boot loop. Cycle:
>

> Off -> BIOS -> GRUB -> Xen boot output -> Black Screen -> Off
>

> The last message of the Xen boot output is `(XEN) Xen is
> relinquishing the VGA console.`, and there are no prior messages
> indicating any errors.

The best way to debug boot issues is to have a way to capture the
output, with a serial console:
https://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_Serial_Console

Is this something you can do?

Are you using the xen 'noreboot' parameter (you can add it from within
GRUB interactive mode)? That way, you can at least see some of the
output on the screen, and copy the lines (by hand! :-/), or take a
picture (and then upload it somewhere and post here the link, not the
picture itself :-D)

Dario

Re: Boot loop after upgrade

Duncan X Simpson

I added noreboot before quiet in grub interactive but there was no change in behavior.

On Wed, Aug 9, 2017, 08:42 Duncan X Simpson <[hidden email]> wrote:

Sadly, I cannot. It's a pretty new laptop and as such doesn't have a serial port. I'll try the noreboot and report the results. Thank you!

On Wed, Aug 9, 2017, 03:06 Dario Faggioli <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, 2017-08-06 at 19:24 +0000, Duncan X Simpson wrote:
> I'm running Xen on Arch Linux. I just did a full system upgrade, and
> a few hours later I decided to fire up a VM. It failed, spewing
> something about being out of loop devices. So I decided to reboot and
> try again. Bad choice. The computer went into a boot loop. Cycle:
>

> Off -> BIOS -> GRUB -> Xen boot output -> Black Screen -> Off
>

> The last message of the Xen boot output is `(XEN) Xen is
> relinquishing the VGA console.`, and there are no prior messages
> indicating any errors.

The best way to debug boot issues is to have a way to capture the
output, with a serial console:
https://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_Serial_Console

Is this something you can do?

Are you using the xen 'noreboot' parameter (you can add it from within
GRUB interactive mode)? That way, you can at least see some of the
output on the screen, and copy the lines (by hand! :-/), or take a
picture (and then upload it somewhere and post here the link, not the
picture itself :-D)

Dario

Duncan X. Simpson, K7DXS
--

Duncan X. Simpson, K7DXS

Re: Boot loop after upgrade

WebDawg
Would a usb serial port device  work for this?

Re: Boot loop after upgrade

Duncan X Simpson

That's a good question. Dario, would that work?

On Thu, 2017-08-10 at 22:04 +0000, Duncan X Simpson wrote:
> That's a good question. Dario, would that work?
>
> On Thu, Aug 10, 2017, 14:56 WebDawg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Would a usb serial port device  work for this?

You can try, but I'm relatively sure it wont. It depends on the
specific characteristics of the USB dongle, but I've not aware of any
that works.

Reason is, Xen does not have a USB stack, it relies on Dom0 for that,
as for almost every driver. Serial is an exception --especially for
being able to debug any kind of issue-- but it's only proper, real,
serial hardware that it's handled.

Dario

Re: Boot loop after upgrade

Dario Faggioli-2
On Wed, 2017-08-09 at 15:46 +0000, Duncan X Simpson wrote:
> I added noreboot before quiet in grub interactive but there was no
> change in behavior.

Please don't top post, and switch to text only emails.

Where did you exactly put the 'noreboot'? Can we see the resulting grub
config file?

Dario

Re: Boot loop after upgrade

WebDawg
On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 6:34 AM, Dario Faggioli
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 2017-08-10 at 22:04 +0000, Duncan X Simpson wrote:
>> That's a good question. Dario, would that work?
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 10, 2017, 14:56 WebDawg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Would a usb serial port device  work for this?
>> >

> You can try, but I'm relatively sure it wont. It depends on the
> specific characteristics of the USB dongle, but I've not aware of any
> that works.
>
> Reason is, Xen does not have a USB stack, it relies on Dom0 for that,
> as for almost every driver. Serial is an exception --especially for
> being able to debug any kind of issue-- but it's only proper, real,
> serial hardware that it's handled.
>
> Dario
> --
> <<This happens because I choose it to happen!>> (Raistlin Majere)

Re: Boot loop after upgrade

Duncan X Simpson
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, 2017-08-10 at 22:04 +0000, Duncan X Simpson wrote:
>> That's a good question. Dario, would that work?
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 10, 2017, 14:56 WebDawg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Would a usb serial port device  work for this?
>> >

> You can try, but I'm relatively sure it wont. It depends on the
> specific characteristics of the USB dongle, but I've not aware of any
> that works.
>
> Reason is, Xen does not have a USB stack, it relies on Dom0 for that,
> as for almost every driver. Serial is an exception --especially for
> being able to debug any kind of issue-- but it's only proper, real,
> serial hardware that it's handled.
>
> Dario
> --
> <<This happens because I choose it to happen!>> (Raistlin Majere)
> Dario Faggioli, Ph.D, http://about.me/dario.faggioli
> Senior Software Engineer, Citrix Systems R&D Ltd., Cambridge (UK)

Do you have the capability to install a serial card in the system?
I do not. It's a pretty new laptop .
--

Duncan X. Simpson, K7DXS