Chef Architecture for a Laptop Running Xen

Chef Architecture for a Laptop Running Xen

ray-2

I would like to better manage my experimental building of Debian 9.1 as dom0 for Xen Project hypervisor on a laptop with 500GB SSD and 16GB RAM.

This machine will be a workstation running multiple VMs for engineering, coding, and general purpose.

I have Xen up and running but have not had a successful VM created.

My biggest challenges are around networking.  There is a built in wifi and a docking station Ethernet. While I often break Internet connectivity, lately I've been able to recover connectivity.  Experimenting, I have broken this system unrecoverably to my capabilities.  So I have rebuilt it over 30 times.  I have just learned about Chet, Puppet...  So I am wondering how I might better manage the machine's configuration.

I am wondering what are the architectural considerations on how to setup Chef.  I have another laptop with Windows 10 that can be used (temporarily).  My concerns are how functional Chef will be in keeping track of the host, keeping track of the VMs, being able to use config data to rebuild this same machine if necessary, the size of this foot print in dom0 for this laptop, and is it the right tools for configuration management of VMs.

I found there is a Chef-solo but it seems to have a large foot print (that's only a guess).

Thank you in advance,

Ray

Re: Chef Architecture for a Laptop Running Xen

Mark Pryor
"experimental building of Debian 9.1 as dom0 "

If you actually start with a source build from upstream Xen, be sure to use the packaging utils in tools/misc/mkdeb, or use the deball rule, `make deball`. You can isolate your build in a pbuilder chroot, or build in a VM. Its very sound to install from packages, rather than `make install` as root.

I can only guess what you are doing, but if you broke it 30 times you might not be using distro packages. BTW, those Stretch Xen distro packages are not working as they should for HVM installs. The Xen packages are lagging, last built in May 2017, while the qemu-system-x86 package is current for 9.1.

PryMar56
##xen-packageing on Freenode

On Sunday, September 3, 2017 6:56 PM, Ray Joseph <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Mark,

I installed from the Debian website via net install.  All packages are installed via apt-get from the website.  The only  thing not from the website is the wifi driver that comes from the Intel website and loaded from USB during installation.  My goal has been to minimize all packages to keep the dom0 foot print minimal.  I use apt-get update before each package - now.  This is a very light-weight experiment, but I am a light-weight user.

I have broken the system many times.  I have choose to rebuild as each time because I could not find a cause or solution to whatever I broke.  Part of the problem is that I have not kept track of the configuration changes.  This is the purpose of pursuing Chef.  Thus my question:

How might I setup Chef for this?  Should I run Chef directly on the laptop?  My only other machine is Windows 10.  It looks like I could use a free Amazon or other free or cheap service.

I have two major drivers for Chef

1) Keep track of config during experimentation to know where I am, to plan the next steps and track what I have done

2) Readily recover the system the next time I severely break it.

How might I setup Chef?

Thanks,

Ray

"experimental building of Debian 9.1 as dom0 "
If you actually start with a source build from upstream Xen, be sure to use the packaging utils in tools/misc/mkdeb, or use the deball rule, `make deball`. You can isolate your build in a pbuilder chroot, or build in a VM. Its very sound to install from packages, rather than `make install` as root.

I can only guess what you are doing, but if you broke it 30 times you might not be using distro packages. BTW, those Stretch Xen distro packages are not working as they should for HVM installs. The Xen packages are lagging, last built in May 2017, while the qemu-system-x86 package is current for 9.1.
PryMar56##xen-packageing on Freenode

Re: Chef Architecture for a Laptop Running Xen

Niels Dettenbach (Syndicat IT&Internet)
>changes.  This is the purpose of pursuing Chef.  Thus my question:
Using chef seems the other end from "lightweight" and "very small"

Not know what Debian with apt/dpkg has as dependency hell there - i prefer using Gentoo to produce very small footprint linux setups (from sources), but just as a hint. Possibly similiar results may possible with Debian, but you stick on the build options of all packages from Debian.

A "typical working dom0" just needs - depending from if you want PV only or "full virt" with Xen:

- kernel with xen (at least dom0) stuff enabled
- binutils
- linux tools, network tools (iproute2 / ifconfig)
- xen-tools (depends from Python if remember correctly)
- a "shell"
- openrc or systemd (if required)
- lvm2 if used
- qemu if full virt is used
- filesystem tools (if required for setups)
- openssh could makes sense often

With Gentoo this easily could be configured by USE flags. No chef or similiar big toolchain required. After building anything you could delete any caches and kernel source tree to minimize further.

Just my twocents,
gold luck.

Niels.

--