Compiling Xen with gcc 7

Peter Milesson
Hi folks,

I replaced an ancient setup of Slackware 14.1 with Xen (4.3.1) on kernel
3.12, with glibc 2.24, with the fresh components of everything
(Slackware 14.2 current, kernel 4.9.40, glibc 2.26, gcc 7.1.0, xen
4.8.1). I had quite a bit of trouble compiling Xen with gcc 7.1.0, though.

gcc 7 issues a lot more warnings than previous versions, and in many
places the gcc flag -Werror effectively halts the make, as warnings are
treated as errors.

As I really needed to get the stuff working, I changed the the -Werror
to -Wno-error where ever possible. I know it's stupid, but I had only
hours to get it going. The server is working, there seems to be no real
problems, but I want to do it the proper way.

Is there anybody out there who's built xen 4.8.1, or 4.9.0 with gcc 7?
And if so, where should I tweak the flags, or patch the source?

Best regards,

Peter

Re: Compiling Xen with gcc 7

Robin Lee

On Sun, Aug 6, 2017 at 11:43 PM, Peter Milesson <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

You can have a look at the Fedora 26 build of xen 4.8.1:

-robin

Re: Compiling Xen with gcc 7

Wei Liu-2
On Sun, Aug 06, 2017 at 05:43:24PM +0200, Peter Milesson wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I replaced an ancient setup of Slackware 14.1 with Xen (4.3.1) on kernel
> 3.12, with glibc 2.24, with the fresh components of everything (Slackware
> 14.2 current, kernel 4.9.40, glibc 2.26, gcc 7.1.0, xen 4.8.1). I had quite
> a bit of trouble compiling Xen with gcc 7.1.0, though.
>
> gcc 7 issues a lot more warnings than previous versions, and in many places
> the gcc flag -Werror effectively halts the make, as warnings are treated as
> errors.
>
> As I really needed to get the stuff working, I changed the the -Werror to
> -Wno-error where ever possible. I know it's stupid, but I had only hours to
> get it going. The server is working, there seems to be no real problems, but
> I want to do it the proper way.
>
> Is there anybody out there who's built xen 4.8.1, or 4.9.0 with gcc 7? And
> if so, where should I tweak the flags, or patch the source?

Feel free to submit bug reports to xen-devel@ with complete build logs.
We will see about fixing them. We could also give you advice on how to
workaround the issues.

Re: Compiling Xen with gcc 7

Mark Pryor
I don't support Slackware, but for anyone that needs a Debian-delta or SRPM/SPEC combo, I support xen builds of 4.8.x/4.9.0 on Fedora 25/26, Centos7, Ubuntu, and Debian.

Fedora 26 defaults to gcc-7 and I've build Debian Buster with it too.

These have full build-requires and install depends.

Join me on Freenode at:
##xen-packaging

PryMar56

On Mon, Aug 07, 2017 at 01:48:38PM +0100, Wei Liu wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 06, 2017 at 05:43:24PM +0200, Peter Milesson wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I replaced an ancient setup of Slackware 14.1 with Xen (4.3.1) on kernel
> > 3.12, with glibc 2.24, with the fresh components of everything (Slackware
> > 14.2 current, kernel 4.9.40, glibc 2.26, gcc 7.1.0, xen 4.8.1). I had quite
> > a bit of trouble compiling Xen with gcc 7.1.0, though.
> >
> > gcc 7 issues a lot more warnings than previous versions, and in many places
> > the gcc flag -Werror effectively halts the make, as warnings are treated as
> > errors.
> >
> > As I really needed to get the stuff working, I changed the the -Werror to
> > -Wno-error where ever possible. I know it's stupid, but I had only hours to
> > get it going. The server is working, there seems to be no real problems, but
> > I want to do it the proper way.
> >
> > Is there anybody out there who's built xen 4.8.1, or 4.9.0 with gcc 7? And
> > if so, where should I tweak the flags, or patch the source?
> >

> Feel free to submit bug reports to xen-devel@ with complete build logs.
> We will see about fixing them. We could also give you advice on how to
> workaround the issues.

FWIW I just pushed some patches to staging to fix build with gcc 7.

It might be worth requesting backporting them to 4.8 and 4.9.

Re: Compiling Xen with gcc 7

Peter Milesson

On 2017-08-09 15:07, Wei Liu wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 07, 2017 at 01:48:38PM +0100, Wei Liu wrote:
>> On Sun, Aug 06, 2017 at 05:43:24PM +0200, Peter Milesson wrote:
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> I replaced an ancient setup of Slackware 14.1 with Xen (4.3.1) on kernel
>>> 3.12, with glibc 2.24, with the fresh components of everything (Slackware
>>> 14.2 current, kernel 4.9.40, glibc 2.26, gcc 7.1.0, xen 4.8.1). I had quite
>>> a bit of trouble compiling Xen with gcc 7.1.0, though.
>>>
>>> gcc 7 issues a lot more warnings than previous versions, and in many places
>>> the gcc flag -Werror effectively halts the make, as warnings are treated as
>>> errors.
>>>
>>> As I really needed to get the stuff working, I changed the the -Werror to
>>> -Wno-error where ever possible. I know it's stupid, but I had only hours to
>>> get it going. The server is working, there seems to be no real problems, but
>>> I want to do it the proper way.
>>>
>>> Is there anybody out there who's built xen 4.8.1, or 4.9.0 with gcc 7? And
>>> if so, where should I tweak the flags, or patch the source?
>>>
>> Feel free to submit bug reports to xen-devel@ with complete build logs.
>> We will see about fixing them. We could also give you advice on how to
>> workaround the issues.
> FWIW I just pushed some patches to staging to fix build with gcc 7.
>
> It might be worth requesting backporting them to 4.8 and 4.9.

Hi folks,

Thanks everybody for your input.

I've applied the Fedora patches as previously suggested by Robin,
leaving out the Fedora specific parts. If I leave out stubdoms, it
builds. Using stubdoms, it does not. The latter most probably not a gcc
7 problem. Under Slackware I never succeeded to build Xen with stubdoms
anyway since the introduction of them.

Concerning the use of gcc 7, the problem is solved.

Best regards,

Peter