Quantcast

Could not boot an 2.6.23 kernel as domU

Gerhard Brauer
Hello,

first sorry for my bad english...

i try to boot our distribution (ArchLinux) as a domU on xen 3.2 (build
from source tarball).

I rebuild the distri kernel with enabled xen config as mentioned in
buildconfigs/enable-xen-config
The kernel and initrd standalone boots without problems.

But as a domU kernel, when creating the image with xm, i got:
----------------
xc_dom_allocate: cmdline="root=/dev/xvda1 ro ip=:1.2.3.4::::eth0:dhcp console=hvc0", features=""
xc_dom_kernel_file: filename="/boot/vmlinuz26-xenU"
xc_dom_malloc_filemap    : 1812 kB
xc_dom_ramdisk_file: filename="/boot/kernel26-xenU.img"
xc_dom_malloc_filemap    : 1546 kB
xc_dom_boot_xen_init: ver 3.2, caps xen-3.0-x86_32p
xc_dom_parse_image: called
xc_dom_find_loader: trying ELF-generic loader ... failed
xc_dom_find_loader: trying multiboot-binary loader ... failed
xc_dom_core.c:499: panic: xc_dom_find_loader: no loader found
xc_dom_release: called
----------------

ELF is surely enabled in kernel config.
Have i done something wrong? I thought 2.6.23 was ready for domU
support.

Searching for "no loader found" i've found following link about some
patches from Gerd Hoffmann, where he changed something in tools/libxc
tree. I have cloned a unstable mercurial repo today, but i could not
exactly see that these patches - if they are belong to my problem - are
in unstable (or still in 3.2).
I am not a programmer to see if these patches/changes are a solution.

If you need more infos i could give them surely.

Thank you
regards
        Gerhard

--
Was wir wissen, ist ein Tropfen.
Was wir nicht wissen, ein Ozean (Newton)

Re: Could not boot an 2.6.23 kernel as domU

Gerhard Brauer
Gruesse!
* Gerhard Brauer <[hidden email]> schrieb am [20.01.08 16:49]:

> xc_dom_kernel_file: filename="/boot/vmlinuz26-xenU"
> xc_dom_malloc_filemap    : 1812 kB
> xc_dom_ramdisk_file: filename="/boot/kernel26-xenU.img"
> xc_dom_malloc_filemap    : 1546 kB
> xc_dom_boot_xen_init: ver 3.2, caps xen-3.0-x86_32p
> xc_dom_parse_image: called
> xc_dom_find_loader: trying ELF-generic loader ... failed
> xc_dom_find_loader: trying multiboot-binary loader ... failed
> xc_dom_core.c:499: panic: xc_dom_find_loader: no loader found
> xc_dom_release: called

Ok, i make a step further...
Above image was a bzImage and i've found two similar threads in this mailing
list about this.

-------------
When i try the vmlinux from my kernel build then i got at the moment:
xc_dom_boot_xen_init: ver 3.2, caps xen-3.0-x86_32p
xc_dom_parse_image: called
xc_dom_find_loader: trying ELF-generic loader ... OK
elf_parse_binary: phdr: paddr=0x0 memsz=0x1c3ba4
elf_parse_binary: memory: 0x0 -> 0x1c3ba4
elf_xen_note_check: ERROR: Not a Xen-ELF image: No ELF notes or '__xen_guest' section found.
xc_dom_release: called
--------------

This error i could handle. I'm sure i've enabled all xen options in
kernel config but it's a distribution kernel with patches and so on.
I next build a vanilla kernel.

Is there still a technical reason why bzImage compressed kernels are not
regognized?

Gerhard

--
Die NASA brauchte 12 Jahre um einen Kugelschreiber zu entwickeln, der
kopfueber, in der Schwerelosigkeit und unter Wasser schreiben kann.

Re: Re: Could not boot an 2.6.23 kernel as domU

Mark Williamson
Hi there Gehard,

I've been writing a HOWTO on booking kernel.org Linux on Xen - it's available
here if you want to look at it:
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/Kernel.org_Linux_on_Xen

> Ok, i make a step further...
> Above image was a bzImage and i've found two similar threads in this
> mailing list about this.

I wans thinking that might be your problem.

> -------------
> When i try the vmlinux from my kernel build then i got at the moment:
> xc_dom_boot_xen_init: ver 3.2, caps xen-3.0-x86_32p
> xc_dom_parse_image: called
> xc_dom_find_loader: trying ELF-generic loader ... OK
> elf_parse_binary: phdr: paddr=0x0 memsz=0x1c3ba4
> elf_parse_binary: memory: 0x0 -> 0x1c3ba4
> elf_xen_note_check: ERROR: Not a Xen-ELF image: No ELF notes or
> '__xen_guest' section found. xc_dom_release: called
> --------------
>
> This error i could handle. I'm sure i've enabled all xen options in
> kernel config but it's a distribution kernel with patches and so on.

So you're still having trouble booting the domain?  You're right to use the
vmlinux directly; it can also be useful to strip that kernel image so that
it's not so huge (if you haven't done so already).

That error does make it look like the kernel got built without Xen support for
some reason...  weird.

> I next build a vanilla kernel.

Did you try this?  Did it work for you?

> Is there still a technical reason why bzImage compressed kernels are not
> regognized?

Actually yes; I was surprised at this but apparently supporting bzImage is
harder than one would think.  There was an attempt to add some flags to
indicate that the bzImage is a Xen-bootable kernel.  The problem is that it's
quite difficult to add these flags in a way that doesn't break any
bootloaders :-(

Cheers,
Mark

* Mark Williamson <[hidden email]> schrieb am [22.02.08 18:10]:
> Hi there Gehard,
>
> I've been writing a HOWTO on booking kernel.org Linux on Xen - it's available
> here if you want to look at it:
> http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/Kernel.org_Linux_on_Xen

Thank you for your answer and this link.
At the moment i haven't the time to do more on my Xen problem, but
probably next week i will start a new try.
Then i would answer your other hints in your mail.

TIA
        Gerhard

--
Try rm -rf (_R_ead _M_ail _R_ealy _F_ast)