Debian Testing with Xen 4.11

Torben Schou Jensen
Debian Testing was just upgraded from Xen 4.8 to Xen 4.11.

All fine, except pygrub now have been removed.
I solved it by using new grub2 boot method for domu.

#bootloader = '/usr/lib/xen-4.8/bin/pygrub'
kernel = "/usr/lib/grub-xen/grub-x86_64-xen.bin"

But then I see libvirtd active and using a good part of dom0 memory.
To my knowledge Xen is now full managed by xl, and data from this is not
shared with libvirtd.
Is it safe to complete remove libvirt from system???

Brgds
Torben Schou Jensen

Re: Debian Testing with Xen 4.11

Hans van Kranenburg-2
Hi,

On 11/04/2018 09:57 PM, Torben Schou Jensen wrote:
> Debian Testing was just upgraded from Xen 4.8 to Xen 4.11.
>
> All fine, except pygrub now have been removed.

Yes, that's a bug, actually. It's supposed to be in there.

> I solved it by using new grub2 boot method for domu.

That's not a bad change. I can recommend using pvgrub2.

> #bootloader = '/usr/lib/xen-4.8/bin/pygrub'
> kernel = "/usr/lib/grub-xen/grub-x86_64-xen.bin"
>
> But then I see libvirtd active and using a good part of dom0 memory.
> To my knowledge Xen is now full managed by xl, and data from this is not
> shared with libvirtd.
> Is it safe to complete remove libvirt from system???

If you are only using xl yourself to do things, then I guess yes. Xen by
itself does not do anything with libvirt.

Hans

Re: Debian Testing with Xen 4.11

Torben Schou Jensen
Thanks for info regarding bug.
Over the weekend I thought pygrub had been deprecated and then complete
removed.

I have a production server with 3 domu, all booted with pygrub, one of
them my primary web and mail server.
Xen 4.8 is outstanding for removal in apt, but still there, and pygrub
from 4.8 make these 3 domu start up after reboot of Xen 4.11.
Now wait for fix on bug, or convert them all to new boot method.

/Torben

On 11/5/18 9:44 AM, Torben Schou Jensen wrote:
> Thanks for info regarding bug.
> Over the weekend I thought pygrub had been deprecated and then complete
> removed.
>
> I have a production server with 3 domu, all booted with pygrub, one of
> them my primary web and mail server.
> Xen 4.8 is outstanding for removal in apt, but still there, and pygrub
> from 4.8 make these 3 domu start up after reboot of Xen 4.11.
> Now wait for fix on bug, or convert them all to new boot method.

I can recommend switching to pvgrub2 instead of pygrub, but that's my
own opinion. It's a much "cleaner" solution to the problem.

Hans