Debugging domain crashes

bartbraem
I have a domain that dies upon creation. The xend.log mentions
"XenDomain>reap> domain died". But how does one debug that error? I don't
see anything more, the other log output is startup or shutdown logging...

Re: Debugging domain crashes

Steven Hand

>I have a domain that dies upon creation. The xend.log mentions
>"XenDomain>reap> domain died". But how does one debug that error? I don't
>see anything more, the other log output is startup or shutdown logging...

Do you see any console output? (i.e. are you booting with
"xm create <configfile> -c")?

If not, and assuming you're using xen 3.0, you can add the following line
to your config file:

on_crash = 'preserve'

This will keep the domain around after it's crashed. Depending on how
far it got you may get some more info from "xenctx" (a debugging tool
in the tree) or "xenbugtool" (an automated bug reporting tool).

You can also take a look at /var/log/messages (or wherever your syslog goes)
and /var/log/xend-debug.log within domain0 for more information.

cheers,

S.

Re: Debugging domain crashes

jyro
Can this kind of debugging settings be used for dom0? Or are there any additional logs where the dom0 boot process writes? I have only checked /var/log/messages and in my case that doesn' t give any useful information.

Thanks,
Jayesh