Debugging hvmloader and vmxassist

Sanjeepan, Vivekananthan

Hi there,

I have been trying unsuccessfully to boot FreeBSD on Xen 3.0.4-testing. From reading the mailing list I understand the problem with emulating big real mode. I would like to debug hvmloader and vmxassist to see if I can fix the issue. There are lots of printf statements in hvmloader and vmxassist. I am wondering how I can redirect them to the qemu-dm.<pid>.log log file. Please let me know if anyone on the list has a suggestion.

Thanks,

Sanjee

Re: Debugging hvmloader and vmxassist

Andrew D. Ball-2
I thought they were already redirected there or to the regular xend
logs, but can't check on this until I get back from vacation.

Peace.
Andrew

On Wed, 2007-01-03 at 10:26 -0800, Sanjeepan, Vivekananthan wrote:

> Hi there,
>

> I have been trying unsuccessfully to boot FreeBSD on Xen
> 3.0.4-testing. From reading the mailing list I understand the problem
> with emulating big real mode. I would like to debug hvmloader and
> vmxassist to see if I can fix the issue. There are lots of printf
> statements in hvmloader and vmxassist. I am wondering how I can
> redirect them to the qemu-dm.<pid>.log log file. Please let me know if
> anyone on the list has a suggestion.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Sanjee

Re: Debugging hvmloader and vmxassist

Anthony Liguori-4
Sanjeepan, Vivekananthan wrote:
> Hi there,
>

> I have been trying unsuccessfully to boot FreeBSD on Xen 3.0.4-testing.
>  From reading the mailing list I understand the problem with emulating
> big real mode. I would like to debug hvmloader and vmxassist to see if I
> can fix the issue.

The problem is unfixable as vmxassist uses vm86 mode.

You may have more luck with the V2E tree:

http://xenbits.xensource.com/ext/xen-unstable-hvm.hg

  There are lots of printf statements in hvmloader and

> vmxassist. I am wondering how I can redirect them to the
> qemu-dm.<pid>.log log file. Please let me know if anyone on the list has
> a suggestion.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Sanjee

RE: Debugging hvmloader and vmxassist

Li, Xin B
you can use this patch to get the log in your qemu log file.
-Xin

I have been trying unsuccessfully to boot FreeBSD on Xen 3.0.4-testing. From reading the mailing list I understand the problem with emulating big real mode. I would like to debug hvmloader and vmxassist to see if I can fix the issue. There are lots of printf statements in hvmloader and vmxassist. I am wondering how I can redirect them to the qemu-dm.<pid>.log log file. Please let me know if anyone on the list has a suggestion.

Thanks,

Sanjee

qemu_debug.patch (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Debugging hvmloader and vmxassist

sandbox-2
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Debugging hvmloader and vmxassist

Keir Fraser-5
On 20/05/2011 16:21, "henanwxr" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, I think it is impossible to send the print message of hvmloader to qemu
> directly.
> Becuase before qemu could work(such as show message in screen with its VGA
> driver), the VGA bios must be installed, but as wo konw, the installiation
> VAG bios is done by hvmloader.Until hvmloader and bios(including system
> bios, vga bios, etc) have done, then the qemu can work.
>
> Although we can not do this directly, you can store the message of hvmloader
> in a big buffer, when the qemu can work, then let qemu get buffer to its
> screen or logfile.

Why are you reviving a 4-year-old thread?

 -- Keir

Re:Re: Debugging hvmloader and vmxassist

sandbox-2
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Debugging hvmloader and vmxassist

Ian Jackson-2
Keir Fraser writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Debugging hvmloader and vmxassist"):
> Why are you reviving a 4-year-old thread?

The OP is using "nabble" which is a web archive with a posting
interface.  The posting interface sends emails which end up on our
list.

Lars, can we block this somehow ?  We do not want people using a web
form to email xen-devel.

Ian.

Can we block "nabble" from posting to xen lists

Lars Kurth-3
Ian,
Not sure. This would be one for Andrew
Lars