Depicting Xen - Input requested

Frederico Cerveira
Hi xen-users,
I am writing to ask for your assistance and knowledge.
I am trying to better understand the structure of Xen, the role that
Domain-0 has in it, and how everything works together.
From some reading that I have done in the past I built the figure that
is attached to this email.

It would be great if you guys here at xen-users could share their
opinion about the figure. Do you see any mistake there? Would you add
something that is missing?
I believe that there are many more components of Xen, but I have
chosen not to represent them in the figure because it would become too
hard to understand.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Best Regards,
Frederico Cerveira

Figure_Xen_Domain0.png (113K) Download Attachment

Re: Depicting Xen - Input requested

Niels Dettenbach (Syndicat IT&Internet)
Am Montag, 24. Juli 2017, 13:22:54 CEST schrieb Frederico Cerveira:
> It would be great if you guys here at xen-users could share their
> opinion about the figure.
Your diagram still shows some of the "major principle" of a Xen environment.

Personally i did not find any really wrong details, but the HVM and PV
"difference" seems "underrepresented" a bit. While PV DomUs run "directly" on
Hardware and just a part of the interaction with the hardware is going over
dom0 or even "Xen" (xen is more a "switcher" between DomU, the HVM DomU runs
on a "fully" virtualized hardware level between hardware and DomU OS - with a
few "privileged" drivers. There is a huge difference in between both concepts
and Xen PV is one of the major "features" of Xen.

hth a bit,

Niels.

--
 ---