[Dom0]Possible to do all my activities ?

[Dom0]Possible to do all my activities ?

Berillions
Hi,

I receive my new desktop tomorrow with this caracteristics :
- Processor : AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
- Memory : 2x8Go
- GPU #1 : AMD Rx560 (Dom0)
- GPU #2 : AMD Rx480 (DomU Windows 10 64bits)
- OS : Debian Sid x86_64

In the GRUB file, i set the memory option for Dom0 to 6Go and I share all CPUs among Dom0 and DomU.

- I would like to know if it's possible to use the Xen-Kernel for my activities that i have on a Normal Kernel. Like watch video on Youtube/VLC, listen music and play at video games (Indies games and AAA games on Steam)

- Do you know if the AMDGPU driver (mesa) works out-of-box with a Xen-Kernel ?

I ask these questions because someone said me that it's not recommended to do that and i must to boot only on the Xen-Kernel only to launch the Windows VM.

I know that KVM is more easy to use but there is an issue which does not exist with Xen => I can't use more than 8 CPUs on KVM in my case else there are bad performance.

Thanks for your help and sorry for my English, i'm French :-)

Cheers,
Maxime

Re: [Dom0]Possible to do all my activities ?

Niels Dettenbach (Syndicat IT&Internet)
Am 11. Juli 2017 20:22:16 MESZ schrieb Berillions <[hidden email]>:

>- I would like to know if it's possible to use the Xen-Kernel for my
>activities that i have on a Normal Kernel. Like watch video on
>Youtube/VLC,
>listen music and play at video games (Indies games and AAA games on
>Steam)
By theory this should work (and work in many cases). I remember incompatibilities with several accelerated AGP / graphic drivers last time i tried that, but had that running without acceleration often. Since Xen is in the official kernel tree the "compatibility" with drivers got better.

Depending from the hardware it may need further Xen and kernel options to get dom0 working as expected from you on your specific hardware.

>- Do you know if the AMDGPU driver (mesa) works out-of-box with a
>Xen-Kernel ?
Not tested to build and run it yet.

>I know that KVM is more easy to use but there is an issue which does
>not
>exist with Xen => I can't use more than 8 CPUs on KVM in my case else
>there
>are bad performance.
The major feature of Xen for most Xen users is the resource optimized Xen PV i think. As a "full Virtualizer" (with the required resource overhead) Xen is just one of "many"...

>Thanks for your help and sorry for my English, i'm French :-)
Sorry for my (german) and cell typos ß)

best regards,

Niels.

--