Dom0 won't startx

Paul Gorman
Im using the the amdgpu driver. On gentoo, glamor is not an optional dependency of such.

In Xorg.0.log, the first error line is as follows:

> (EE) glamor0: GL error: GL_OUT_OF_MEMORY in glTextSubImage

Is there some kind of incompatibility? Or is there further setup that I need to do beyond the bootloader? Is there some out-of-project patch that I need for xen?

Re: Dom0 won't startx

Roger Pau Monné-3
On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 01:13:07PM -0400, Paul Gorman wrote:

> Im using the the amdgpu driver. On gentoo, glamor is not an optional
> dependency of such.
>
> In Xorg.0.log, the first error line is as follows:
>
> > (EE) glamor0: GL error: GL_OUT_OF_MEMORY in glTextSubImage
>
> Is there some kind of incompatibility? Or is there further setup that I
> need to do beyond the bootloader? Is there some out-of-project patch that I
> need for xen?

Not that I'm aware. How much memory are you assigning to Dom0?

Roger.

Re: Dom0 won't startx

Roger Pau Monné-3
Please keep xen-users in the Cc.

On Wed, Aug 01, 2018 at 11:47:23AM -0400, Paul Gorman wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 1, 2018, 10:49 AM Roger Pau Monné <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 01:13:07PM -0400, Paul Gorman wrote:
> > > Im using the the amdgpu driver. On gentoo, glamor is not an optional
> > > dependency of such.
> > >
> > > In Xorg.0.log, the first error line is as follows:

> > > Is there some kind of incompatibility? Or is there further setup that I
> > > need to do beyond the bootloader? Is there some out-of-project patch
> > that I
> > > need for xen?
> >
> > Not that I'm aware. How much memory are you assigning to Dom0?
> >
> > Roger.
> >

> 1024M to start, up to 8192M. Eventually, I just gave it the whole 32GiB to
> see if that would fix it. No progress.
>
> With increased verbosity on the logs, gallium seems to he the culprit. When
> I tried rebuilding the system without it (gentoo), any gui tools like
> firefox became unusably slow.
>
> I got a dirty workaround by replacing my desktop background with a solid
> color. Startx works then, but with some nasty screen artifacts
> *everywhere*, especially in firefox. And opening up an image file crashes X.
>
> Still have no such problems when booting the kernel directly, only when
> using it as Dom0. The firmware is compiled directly into the kernel. Any
> Xen related options are compiled in. Kernel side amdgpu drivers are
> compiled in as well.
>
> Should I need gpu passthrough to even get dom0's Xorg to function
> correctly?

Dom0 already has all the devices passed-through, you shouldn't need
anything else.

Which version of Xen and Linux are you using, and on what hardware?

Roger.

Re: Dom0 won't startx

Paul Gorman

On Wed, Aug 1, 2018, 12:05 PM Roger Pau Monné <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please keep xen-users in the Cc.

On Wed, Aug 01, 2018 at 11:47:23AM -0400, Paul Gorman wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 1, 2018, 10:49 AM Roger Pau Monné <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 01:13:07PM -0400, Paul Gorman wrote:
> > > Im using the the amdgpu driver. On gentoo, glamor is not an optional
> > > dependency of such.
> > >
> > > In Xorg.0.log, the first error line is as follows:

> > > Is there some kind of incompatibility? Or is there further setup that I
> > > need to do beyond the bootloader? Is there some out-of-project patch
> > that I
> > > need for xen?
> >
> > Not that I'm aware. How much memory are you assigning to Dom0?
> >
> > Roger.
> >

> 1024M to start, up to 8192M. Eventually, I just gave it the whole 32GiB to
> see if that would fix it. No progress.
>
> With increased verbosity on the logs, gallium seems to he the culprit. When
> I tried rebuilding the system without it (gentoo), any gui tools like
> firefox became unusably slow.
>
> I got a dirty workaround by replacing my desktop background with a solid
> color. Startx works then, but with some nasty screen artifacts
> *everywhere*, especially in firefox. And opening up an image file crashes X.
>
> Still have no such problems when booting the kernel directly, only when
> using it as Dom0. The firmware is compiled directly into the kernel. Any
> Xen related options are compiled in. Kernel side amdgpu drivers are
> compiled in as well.
>
> Should I need gpu passthrough to even get dom0's Xorg to function
> correctly?

Dom0 already has all the devices passed-through, you shouldn't need
anything else.

Which version of Xen and Linux are you using, and on what hardware?

Roger.

I'm on Gentoo Linux, kernel 4.17.[5-11], Xen v4.11.0. An AMD-FX8350 processor, 32GiB ram. Radeon HD7770 gpu.

Nothing fancy. Just enough for the task.

Re: Dom0 won't startx

Roger Pau Monné-3
On Wed, Aug 01, 2018 at 10:08:42PM -0400, Paul Gorman wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 1, 2018, 12:05 PM Roger Pau Monné <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Please keep xen-users in the Cc.
> >
> > On Wed, Aug 01, 2018 at 11:47:23AM -0400, Paul Gorman wrote:

> > that I

> > > 1024M to start, up to 8192M. Eventually, I just gave it the whole 32GiB
> > > see if that would fix it. No progress.
> > >
> > > With increased verbosity on the logs, gallium seems to he the culprit.
> > When
> > > I tried rebuilding the system without it (gentoo), any gui tools like
> > > firefox became unusably slow.
> > >
> > > I got a dirty workaround by replacing my desktop background with a solid
> > > color. Startx works then, but with some nasty screen artifacts
> > > *everywhere*, especially in firefox. And opening up an image file
> > crashes X.
> > >
> > > Still have no such problems when booting the kernel directly, only when
> > > using it as Dom0. The firmware is compiled directly into the kernel. Any
> > > Xen related options are compiled in. Kernel side amdgpu drivers are
> > > compiled in as well.
> > >
> > > Should I need gpu passthrough to even get dom0's Xorg to function
> > > correctly?
> >
> > Dom0 already has all the devices passed-through, you shouldn't need
> > anything else.
> >
> > Which version of Xen and Linux are you using, and on what hardware?
> >
> > Roger.
> >

> I'm on Gentoo Linux, kernel 4.17.[5-11], Xen v4.11.0. An AMD-FX8350
> processor, 32GiB ram. Radeon HD7770 gpu.

Since you said you increased the debug level of the logs, do you have
a more specific error message?

Roger.