Error: Device 2049 (vbd) could not be connected. Backend device not found.

Error: Device 2049 (vbd) could not be connected. Backend device not found.

nocturna_gr
Hi,
i have seen a post with the same title, but didn't
help a lot -it mentioned, that the image was for LVM,
which i don't think is my case.
I downloaded the debian31 image from
http://jailtime.org. Initially, i had some problems
and changed the configuration file a little. Here it
is now:
-----------
kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6-xenU"
memory = 256
name = "debian.3-1"
nics = 1
#dhcp = "dhcp"
disk =
['file:/mnt/store2/xen/debian/debian31.img,sda1,w']
root = "/dev/sda1"
-----------
However,

vakhos:/mnt/store2/xen/debian31# xm create -c
debian.3-1.xen.cfg
Using config file "debian.3-1.xen.cfg".
Error: Device 2049 (vbd) could not be connected.
Backend device not found.

Ideas? Thanks

Re: Error: Device 2049 (vbd) could not be connected. Backend device not found.

Anand Kumria-2
On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 22:19:57 +0000, Konstantinos Pachopoulos wrote:

> Hi,
> i have seen a post with the same title, but didn't
> help a lot -it mentioned, that the image was for LVM,
> which i don't think is my case.
> I downloaded the debian31 image from
> http://jailtime.org. Initially, i had some problems
> and changed the configuration file a little. Here it
> is now:
> -----------
> kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6-xenU"
> memory = 256
> name = "debian.3-1"
> nics = 1
> #dhcp = "dhcp"
> disk =
> ['file:/mnt/store2/xen/debian/debian31.img,sda1,w']
> root = "/dev/sda1"
> -----------
> However,
>
> vakhos:/mnt/store2/xen/debian31# xm create -c
> debian.3-1.xen.cfg
> Using config file "debian.3-1.xen.cfg".
> Error: Device 2049 (vbd) could not be connected.
> Backend device not found.
>
> Ideas? Thanks

I'm assuming you are using Xen-3.0? I've found that if this error occurs
you can change the backend devices and boot (once again) but that once the
domU shutdowns down, those backend devices are no longer available.

You can continue to run through a large potential list of backend devices
but if you are doing a lot of create/destroy sequences you'll eventually
run out.

Cheers,
Anand

Re: Error: Device 2049 (vbd) could not be connected. Backend device not found.

Bryan Hundven
I get this same error on boot (link to config is in /etc/xen/auto). How could
the backend device work before I rebooted (starting the domain by hand), and
then not be available after I reboot (either auto or by hand)?