How do I know which packages Ubuntu needs for xen 4.11?

How do I know which packages Ubuntu needs for xen 4.11?

Chris Percol
Hi,

I have successfully built xen 4.11 on Ubuntu 18.04 from source. As I wanted to use the binaries on a few machines I did 'make debball'.

How do I know which packages are required by my debball? I want to keep things lean and not use all the packages on other machines required to build xen. For example, I had to install the yajl package on a new Ubuntu install when installing the package I made previously to stop errors.

Many thanks,

Chris

Re: How do I know which packages Ubuntu needs for xen 4.11?

Hans van Kranenburg-2
Hi,

On 11/14/18 8:22 PM, Chris Percol wrote:

> I have successfully built xen 4.11 on Ubuntu 18.04 from source.

Do you mean the upstream source? Is there a specific reason why you
would want to do that instead of just rebuilding the Xen 4.11 packages
that are in Debian testing/unstable currently?

> As I
> wanted to use the binaries on a few machines I did 'make debball'.
>
> How do I know which packages are required by my debball? I want to keep
> things lean and not use all the packages on other machines required to
> build xen. For example, I had to install the yajl package on a new
> Ubuntu install when installing the package I made previously to stop errors.

Hans

Re: How do I know which packages Ubuntu needs for xen 4.11?

Chris Percol
Hans,

I am happy for your guidance as I am not well versed in such matters. I currently look after a dozen Xenservers and want to experiment with a Xen hypervisor on Ubuntu 18.04.

Which packaged version of Xen would you recommend I run on Ubuntu 18.04 and where do I get it? I have no particular requirements. My current setup is Xenservers using local storage and Windows/Ubuntu/FreeBSD/CoreOS VMs.

I falsely presumed today the Xen kernel I had was crashing based on using relatively new CPUs when it appears to be the old chestnut of UEFI boot. Coupled with the fact Ubuntu 18.04 was running xen 4.9 in the universe rather than main repos I started tinkering with building 4.11 from upstream source.

Thanks,

Chris

On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 7:41 PM Hans van Kranenburg <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

On 11/14/18 8:22 PM, Chris Percol wrote:

> I have successfully built xen 4.11 on Ubuntu 18.04 from source.

Do you mean the upstream source? Is there a specific reason why you
would want to do that instead of just rebuilding the Xen 4.11 packages
that are in Debian testing/unstable currently?

> As I
> wanted to use the binaries on a few machines I did 'make debball'.
>
> How do I know which packages are required by my debball? I want to keep
> things lean and not use all the packages on other machines required to
> build xen. For example, I had to install the yajl package on a new
> Ubuntu install when installing the package I made previously to stop errors.

Hans

Re: How do I know which packages Ubuntu needs for xen 4.11?

Volker Janzen

if you build from upstream source, you need to try yourself which packages are needed, as of there are no dependencies added to the resulting deb file. Neither a working configuration for systemd.

I have not yet tried to change this for my setup, but I already made a metapackage for the upstream kernel and if you‘re building your own deb repo for this purpose a metapackage would be an easy option to install depending packages.

I am using Debian 9 strech as basis for my custom build setup and there libyajl2 is the only dependency for installation.

Regards,
    Volker

> Am 14.11.2018 um 20:43 schrieb Chris Percol <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have successfully built xen 4.11 on Ubuntu 18.04 from source. As I wanted to use the binaries on a few machines I did 'make debball'.
>
> How do I know which packages are required by my debball? I want to keep things lean and not use all the packages on other machines required to build xen. For example, I had to install the yajl package on a new Ubuntu install when installing the package I made previously to stop errors.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Chris

Re: How do I know which packages Ubuntu needs for xen 4.11?

Mark Pryor
you can find a hint for the build-depends here:
http://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=xen.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/staging-4.11

navigate to tree/automation/build/ubuntu/xenial.dockerfile/raw

its not exactly bionic, but its a good start.

The `make debball` is a binary build. To include all the build-deps you need to include a debian/control file inside a debian delta, part of a source build.

PryMar56