Howto: change CD during an HVM install

Evan Lavelle-9
Heads up for anyone who's stuck with trying to change a CD half-way
through an HVM installation; I couldn't find an answer to this on Google.

1 - just changing the file which contains the ISO image does nothing

2 - in principle, you can get into the Qemu monitor from your
installation Window, and change the disk from the monitor. You should
apparently type CTL-ALT-2 to enter the monitor, or CTL CTL CTL-ALT-2.
This doesn't work for me - has this been removed from current Xens?
There was some concern about security issues on the devel mailing list.

3 - the xm way (doesn't work):

 > /usr/sbin/xm block-list -l xm_domain_name

find the entry which include "(device-type cdrom)", note the number at
the beginning of this entry (in my case, 5632).

 > /usr/sbin/xm block-detach xm-domain-name 5632
 > /usr/sbin/xm block-attach xm-domain-name file://path/to/my/ISO /dev/hdc r

Note that the mode is 'r', not 'ro'; the man page is wrong. This doesn't
work, and you get an error message on the block-attach; the man page
says that block-detach is "currently" broken. If you do a block-list
after the block-detach you'll see that nothing's changed.

4 - the virsh way (does work):

 > virsh list

get the Id number of your domain from the first column

 > virsh detach-disk Id-number hdc
 > virsh attach-disk Id-number /path/to/your/new/ISO hdc --driver file
--type cdrom --mode readonly

Evan

Re: Howto: change CD during an HVM install

Pasi Kärkkäinen
On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 11:49:39AM +0000, Evan Lavelle wrote:
> Heads up for anyone who's stuck with trying to change a CD half-way
> through an HVM installation; I couldn't find an answer to this on Google.

What distribution are you using? I assume Fedora/RHEL/CentOS based on
virsh.. and what exact xen version? Those are good to know.

-- Pasi

Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:

> What distribution are you using? I assume Fedora/RHEL/CentOS based on
> virsh.. and what exact xen version? Those are good to know.

xen: 3.1.0

xm: don't know; it doesn't seen to say. 'rpm -qf /usr/sbin/xm' returns
package 'xen-3.1.0-13.fc8'.

virsh: 'virsh version' returns:

Compiled against library: libvir 0.3.3
Using library: libvir 0.3.3
Using API: Xen 3.0.1
Running hypervisor: Xen 3.1.0

virsh appears to be from package 'libvirt-0.3.3-2.fc8'.

disti: Fedora 8

Evan

Re: Howto: change CD during an HVM install

jim burns
On Wednesday 02 January 2008 06:49:39 am Evan Lavelle wrote:
> 2 - in principle, you can get into the Qemu monitor from your
> installation Window, and change the disk from the monitor. You should
> apparently type CTL-ALT-2 to enter the monitor, or CTL CTL CTL-ALT-2.
> This doesn't work for me - has this been removed from current Xens?

You have to include the line 'monitor=1' in your hvm config to enable this.