Infineon vtpm problem

Erdem Bayer-2
Hi

I have successfully applied the patch mentioned here
(http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xense-devel/2007-04/msg00005.html)
to the xen v. 3.1.3 on an HP nx8325 with Infineon TPM.

I cleared the tpm, deleted /var/vtpm/VTPM file and rebooted.

After reboot, vtpm_managerd runs ok. (output is attched to the mail.)

I created a pv vm with the option vtpm = ['instance=1, backend=0'] The
vm boots fine.

I installed trousers-0.3.1 and tpm-tools-1.3.1 from sources on the vm.

I run tcsd -f on the vm. (output is attched to the mail.)

I checkout and run the trousers test suite. 10 tests passed with 230
failed. (Is this expected?)

When I try tpm_takeownership on the vm, the command runs fine. (Although
a strange warning appers on tcsd output which is attched).

But when I try tpm_sealdata < foo on the vm I get the following error.

Tspi_Key_LoadKey failed: 0x00003113 - layer=tsp, code=0113 (275),
Authorization failed

But other tpm_version runs fine on vm.

tpm-test:~# tpm_version
  TPM 1.2 Version Info:
  Chip Version:        1.2.0.4
  Spec Level:          2
  Errata Revision:     94
  TPM Vendor ID:
  TPM Version:         01010000
  Manufacturer Info:   4554485a

Also this quote is from Xen User's Guide:

"Similarly, the TPM frontend driver must be compiled for the kernel
trying to use TPM functionality. Its driver can be selected in the
kernel configuration section Device Driver / Character Devices / TPM
Devices. Along with that the TPM driver for the built-in TPM must be
selected."

According to my understanding driver for the built-in TPM must be
selected on the kernel where TPM frontend driver is used. Am I correct
about this assumption? (The problem is tpm_infineon driver can not be
selected on an unpriviledged kernel, it can only be selected on a
priviledged kernel)

Am I missing something here? Why do I get auth errors?

Thanks in advance.

Erdem Bayer

http://lists.xensource.com/xense-devel

vtpm_managerd.out (29K) Download Attachment
tcsd.out (216 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Infineon vtpm problem

Stefan Berger

[hidden email] wrote on 02/26/2008 06:28:01 PM:

> Hi
>
> I have successfully applied the patch mentioned here
> (http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xense-devel/2007-04/msg00005.html)
> to the xen v. 3.1.3 on an HP nx8325 with Infineon TPM.
>
> I cleared the tpm, deleted /var/vtpm/VTPM file and rebooted.
>
> After reboot, vtpm_managerd runs ok. (output is attched to the mail.)
>
> I created a pv vm with the option vtpm = ['instance=1, backend=0'] The
> vm boots fine.
>
> I installed trousers-0.3.1 and tpm-tools-1.3.1 from sources on the vm.
>
> I run tcsd -f on the vm. (output is attched to the mail.)
>
> I checkout and run the trousers test suite. 10 tests passed with 230
> failed. (Is this expected?)

It is likely that this (v)TPM implementation has quite a few bugs, but I would not expect that many errors.

> When I try tpm_takeownership on the vm, the command runs fine. (Although
> a strange warning appers on tcsd output which is attched).

This error may be related to older versions of the TPM device driver having used an ioctl interface for sending/receiving commands to/from the TPM and the TSS still tries this interface first. This should not be a reason for the errors you are seeing.

> But when I try tpm_sealdata < foo on the vm I get the following error.
>
> Tspi_Key_LoadKey failed: 0x00003113 - layer=tsp, code=0113 (275),
> Authorization failed
>
> But other tpm_version runs fine on vm.
>
> tpm-test:~# tpm_version
>   TPM 1.2 Version Info:
>   Chip Version:        1.2.0.4
>   Spec Level:          2
>   Errata Revision:     94
>   TPM Vendor ID:
>   TPM Version:         01010000
>   Manufacturer Info:   4554485a
>
> Also this quote is from Xen User's Guide:
>
> "Similarly, the TPM frontend driver must be compiled for the kernel
> trying to use TPM functionality. Its driver can be selected in the
> kernel configuration section Device Driver / Character Devices / TPM
> Devices. Along with that the TPM driver for the built-in TPM must be
> selected."
>
> According to my understanding driver for the built-in TPM must be
> selected on the kernel where TPM frontend driver is used. Am I correct
> about this assumption? (The problem is tpm_infineon driver can not be

The driver for the built-in Infineon TPM must be built into Domain-0, the TPM frontend driver in the guest domain and the backend driver also into Domain-0. This has probably been done correctly since otherwise the vTPM would not work at all.

> selected on an unpriviledged kernel, it can only be selected on a
> priviledged kernel)
>
> Am I missing something here? Why do I get auth errors?

Did you try to run the same sequence of comands (tpm commands, test suite etc.) on a plain Linux kernel with the TSS stack against the built-in Infineone TPM? From what I remember, the test suite for the TSS stack either tries to set a specific TPM owner password or it must previously have been set to it by the user, otherwise many authentication errors will occur.

   Stefan

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Erdem Bayer
> [attachment "vtpm_managerd.out" deleted by Stefan Berger/Watson/IBM]
> [attachment "tcsd.out" deleted by Stefan Berger/Watson/IBM]
http://lists.xensource.com/xense-devel

Re: Infineon vtpm problem

Erdem Bayer-2
Hi

I have checked out the 0.3.2cvs version of trousers and finally get the
tsstest working with very few differences from when it is run under
non-xen host. My previous attempts was on 0.3.1 (stable).

However when run tpm_sealdata, I still get

Tspi_Key_LoadKey failed: 0x00003113 - layer=tsp, code=0113 (275),
Authorization failed.

This reminds me that maybe I am using vtpm wrong way. Is there a
document about how to use vtpm?

Here is what I do from sratch:

1. Clear and reactivate TPM from bios.
2. Run vtpm_managerd in dom0 and let it continue running on console.
3. Boot domU with vif statement in config file.
4. Run tcsd -f on domU and let it continue running on console.

 From now on every tpm operation I run on domU returns an error.

Operations tried on domU

1. I tried tpm_takeownership with success (although I see an error on
tcsd -f output, I assume it is normal because I see exact same error
when I run takeownership from non-xen host and actually prove ownership
taken by using sealdata successfully) but when I try tpm_sealdata I get
above error.

2. After starting from scratch, I tried tpm_sealdata without first try
to take ownership. This time there is a different output:

Enter SRK password:
Tspi_Key_CreateKey failed: 0x00000003 - layer=tpm, code=0003 (3), Bad
Parameter

I think I am not able to use vtpm because probably I am not doing the
right sequence of actions on domU. So if there is a document about vtpm
usage, please point me to it.

And here is another question:

I never run tpm_takeownership on dom0. Whenever I start from scratch I
let the vtpm_managerd to take ownership of tpm. However, I do not know
the owner or srk password it uses. When I use vtpm on domU and asked for
the srk pasword, which password should I enter? Also, should I take
ownership of vtpm on domU every time I booted it? How do I save state of
the vtpm for a domain across boots?

Thanks for time.
Erdem Bayer

[hidden email] wrote on 02/27/2008 04:02:41 PM:

> Hi
>
> I have checked out the 0.3.2cvs version of trousers and finally get the
> tsstest working with very few differences from when it is run under
> non-xen host. My previous attempts was on 0.3.1 (stable).
>
> However when run tpm_sealdata, I still get
>
> Tspi_Key_LoadKey failed: 0x00003113 - layer=tsp, code=0113 (275),
> Authorization failed.

So, I just tried this and I ran into the same problem. I then used some tools that let me control whether to use TPM_LoadKey() or TPM_LoadKey2(). Loading a key with TPM_LoadKey2() failed due to HMAC authorization failing, TPM_LoadKey() worked. From what I saw is that the TSS is using TPM_LoadKey2() and the TPM implementation then states that TPM_LoadKey2() is emulated using TPM_LoadKey(). Well, it seems to be a bug in the TPM_LoadKey2() implementation.

> This reminds me that maybe I am using vtpm wrong way. Is there a
> document about how to use vtpm?

No, you are using it correctly.

  Stefan

> [...]
> > also into Domain-0. This has probably been done correctly since
> > otherwise the vTPM would not work at all.
> >

> > > selected on an unpriviledged kernel, it can only be selected on a
> > > priviledged kernel)
> > >
> > > Am I missing something here? Why do I get auth errors?
> >

> > Did you try to run the same sequence of comands (tpm commands, test
> > suite etc.) on a plain Linux kernel with the TSS stack against the
> > built-in Infineone TPM? From what I remember, the test suite for the
> > TSS stack either tries to set a specific TPM owner password or it must
> > previously have been set to it by the user, otherwise many
> > authentication errors will occur.
> >
> >    Stefan
> >

> > > Thanks in advance.
> > >
> > > Erdem Bayer
> > > [attachment "vtpm_managerd.out" deleted by Stefan Berger/Watson/IBM]
> > > [attachment "tcsd.out" deleted by Stefan Berger/Watson/IBM]

I have looked through some source code and have the following questions:

1)
in tools/vtpm/vtpm/tpm/tpm_storage.c

TPM_RESULT TPM_LoadKey2(TPM_KEY_HANDLE parentHandle, TPM_KEY *inKey,
                        TPM_AUTH *auth1, TPM_KEY_HANDLE *inkeyHandle)
{
  info("TPM_LoadKey2() is currently emulated by TPM_LoadKey()");
  return TPM_LoadKey(parentHandle, inKey, auth1, inkeyHandle);
}

So TPM_LoadKey2 is actually a wrapper around TPM_LoadKey() with exactly
same parameters. My question is if they are using same parameters why
one fails while the other succeeds?

And why is it necessary to wrap the TPM_LoadKey function with exactly
same call? Any pointers would be highly appreciated.

2)
in tools/vtpm/vtpm/tpm/tpm_commands.h

What is this TPM_Part3 document mentioned here and where can I locate
it? Is this the document named "TPM Main Part3 IBM Commands" written by
Ken Goldman and you? If that is correct, I have Revision 10 of this
document dated 25 April 2005 and that document does not have Section
10.5. Is there a  more recent version that I am not aware of?

3) Is this problem specific to TPM hardware (ie only infinion tpm) or
xen version?

4) You said you used some tools to trace and alter tss behaviour. What
is this tool and how can I obtain it?

Thanks for your time
Erdem Bayer

Stefan Berger wrote On 28-02-2008 04:47:

> [...]
> > > the TPM and the TSS still tries this interface first. This should not
> > > be a reason for the errors you are seeing.

> error.

> correct
> not be
> > >
> > > The driver for the built-in Infineon TPM must be built into Domain-0,
> > > the TPM frontend driver in the guest domain and the backend driver
> > > also into Domain-0. This has probably been done correctly since
> > > otherwise the vTPM would not work at all.

> > > Did you try to run the same sequence of comands (tpm commands, test
> > > suite etc.) on a plain Linux kernel with the TSS stack against the
> > > built-in Infineone TPM? From what I remember, the test suite for the
> > > TSS stack either tries to set a specific TPM owner password or it
> must
> > > previously have been set to it by the user, otherwise many

I have searched a little deeper and find out that tpm_emulator used in
vtpm implementation is a little outdated. I have searched the recent
changes from tpm-emulator and the last significant diff involving
TPM_LoadKey() was the below one.

I want to know if applying this diff will inprove my situation.

Thanks in advance
Erdem Bayer

ebayer@erdem-d tpm $ svn diff -r 201:179 tpm_storage.c
Index: tpm_storage.c
--- tpm_storage.c       (revision 201)
+++ tpm_storage.c       (revision 179)
@@ -521,13 +521,15 @@
   parent = tpm_get_key(parentHandle);
   if (parent == NULL) return TPM_INVALID_KEYHANDLE;
   /* verify authorization */
-  if (auth1->authHandle != TPM_INVALID_HANDLE) {
-    debug("[ authDataUsage=%.2x ]", parent->authDataUsage);
-    res = tpm_verify_auth(auth1, parent->usageAuth, parentHandle);
-    if (res != TPM_SUCCESS) return res;
-  } else if (parent->authDataUsage != TPM_AUTH_NEVER) {
-    debug("TPM_LoadKey(): parent key requires authorization.");
-    return TPM_AUTHFAIL;
+  if (parent->authDataUsage != TPM_AUTH_NEVER) {
+    if (auth1->authHandle != TPM_INVALID_HANDLE) {
+      debug("[ authDataUsage=%.2x ]", parent->authDataUsage);
+      res = tpm_verify_auth(auth1, parent->usageAuth, parentHandle);
+      if (res != TPM_SUCCESS) return res;
+    } else {
+      debug("TPM_LoadKey(): parent key requires authorization.");
+      return TPM_AUTHFAIL;
+    }
   }
   if (parent->keyUsage != TPM_KEY_STORAGE) return TPM_INVALID_KEYUSAGE;
   /* verify key properties */

Erdem Bayer <[hidden email]> wrote on 02/28/2008 07:28:14 AM:

> Hi
>
> I have searched a little deeper and find out that tpm_emulator used in
> vtpm implementation is a little outdated. I have searched the recent
> changes from tpm-emulator and the last significant diff involving
> TPM_LoadKey() was the below one.
>
> I want to know if applying this diff will inprove my situation.

This is already part of the tpm emulator version 0.4 that is automatically downloaded by the Xen build process.

   Stefan

> [...]
> > >
> > > 2. After starting from scratch, I tried tpm_sealdata without first try
> > > to take ownership. This time there is a different output:
> > >
> > > Enter SRK password:
> > > Tspi_Key_CreateKey failed: 0x00000003 - layer=tpm, code=0003 (3), Bad
> > > Parameter
> > >
> > > I think I am not able to use vtpm because probably I am not doing the
> > > right sequence of actions on domU. So if there is a document about vtpm
> > > usage, please point me to it.
> > >
> > > And here is another question:
> > >
> > > I never run tpm_takeownership on dom0. Whenever I start from scratch I
> > > let the vtpm_managerd to take ownership of tpm. However, I do not know
> > > the owner or srk password it uses. When I use vtpm on domU and asked
> > for
> > > the srk pasword, which password should I enter? Also, should I take
> > > ownership of vtpm on domU every time I booted it? How do I save

Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Infineon vtpm problem

Stefan Berger

[hidden email] wrote on 02/28/2008 03:42:07 AM:

> Hi
>
> I have looked through some source code and have the following questions:
>
> 1)
> in tools/vtpm/vtpm/tpm/tpm_storage.c
>
> TPM_RESULT TPM_LoadKey2(TPM_KEY_HANDLE parentHandle, TPM_KEY *inKey,
>                         TPM_AUTH *auth1, TPM_KEY_HANDLE *inkeyHandle)
> {
>   info("TPM_LoadKey2() is currently emulated by TPM_LoadKey()");
>   return TPM_LoadKey(parentHandle, inKey, auth1, inkeyHandle);
> }
>
> So TPM_LoadKey2 is actually a wrapper around TPM_LoadKey() with exactly
> same parameters. My question is if they are using same parameters why
> one fails while the other succeeds?

It's (for example) the return path that's different. TPM_LoadKey2() does NOT calculate the HMAC over the key's handle. And that's actually the source of the bug.

> And why is it necessary to wrap the TPM_LoadKey function with exactly
> same call? Any pointers would be highly appreciated.

Here's a link to a fairly recent version of the specification.

https://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/specs/TPM/mainP3Commandsrev103.zip

> 2)
> in tools/vtpm/vtpm/tpm/tpm_commands.h

> What is this TPM_Part3 document mentioned here and where can I locate
> it? Is this the document named "TPM Main Part3 IBM Commands" written by
> Ken Goldman and you? If that is correct, I have Revision 10 of this
> document dated 25 April 2005 and that document does not have Section
> 10.5. Is there a  more recent version that I am not aware of?

No, this is not referring to that document. It's referring to the one link above.

> 3) Is this problem specific to TPM hardware (ie only infinion tpm) or
> xen version?

It's a bug in the TPM emulator.

This patch here does the trick. When I have some time I'll try to prepare a patch for the patch that the Xen build process applies on top of the tpm emulator code. I'll also send it to the maintainer(s) of the tpm emualtor.

--- ./tpm_emulator/tpm/tpm_cmd_handler.c        2008-02-27 16:35:41.000000000 -0500
+++ vtpm/tpm/tpm_cmd_handler.c        2008-02-28 14:43:28.000000000 -0500
@@ -94,12 +94,18 @@ void tpm_compute_out_param_digest(TPM_CO
   sha1_ctx_t sha1;
   UINT32 res = CPU_TO_BE32(rsp->result);
   UINT32 ord = CPU_TO_BE32(ordinal);
+  UINT32 offset = 0;

   /* compute SHA1 hash */
   sha1_init(&sha1);
   sha1_update(&sha1, (BYTE*)&res, 4);
   sha1_update(&sha1, (BYTE*)&ord, 4);
-  sha1_update(&sha1, rsp->param, rsp->paramSize);
+  if (ordinal == TPM_ORD_LoadKey2) {
+      offset = 4;
+  }
+  if (rsp->paramSize - offset > 0) {
+      sha1_update(&sha1, rsp->param + offset, rsp->paramSize - offset);
+  }
   sha1_final(&sha1, rsp->auth1->digest);
   if (rsp->auth2 != NULL) memcpy(rsp->auth2->digest,
     rsp->auth1->digest, sizeof(rsp->auth1->digest));

Please try it.

> 4) You said you used some tools to trace and alter tss behaviour. What
> is this tool and how can I obtain it?

It's not a publicly available tool. It's basically forming the TPM commands directly and writes them to /dev/tpm0 and so circumvents the TSS stack.

   Stefan

> [...]
> > >
> > > 2. After starting from scratch, I tried tpm_sealdata without first try
> > > to take ownership. This time there is a different output:
> > >
> > > Enter SRK password:
> > > Tspi_Key_CreateKey failed: 0x00000003 - layer=tpm, code=0003 (3), Bad
> > > Parameter
> > >
> > > I think I am not able to use vtpm because probably I am not doing the
> > > right sequence of actions on domU. So if there is a document about vtpm
> > > usage, please point me to it.
> > >
> > > And here is another question:
> > >
> > > I never run tpm_takeownership on dom0. Whenever I start from scratch I
> > > let the vtpm_managerd to take ownership of tpm. However, I do not know
> > > the owner or srk password it uses. When I use vtpm on domU and asked
> > for
> > > the srk pasword, which password should I enter? Also, should I take
> > > ownership of vtpm on domU every time I booted it? How do I save

For the record, the patch you sent to the xen-devel list
(http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2008-02/msg01092.html)
eliminated the problem. Thank you very much for your time and effort.

Erdem Bayer

Erdem Bayer <[hidden email]> wrote on 02/29/2008 06:04:56 AM:

> Hi
>
> For the record, the patch you sent to the xen-devel list
> (http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2008-02/msg01092.html)
> eliminated the problem. Thank you very much for your time and effort.

What would really be needed is an upgrade of the tpm emulator that's being downloaded by the build process. Version 0.4 is outdated and a more recent version is 0.5.1. Actually Mario Strasser, the author of the tpm emulator, said that that particular error had been fixed in version 0.4.1.  The problem with the newer version is that the Xen patch against the emulator has almost all hunks rejected -- so forward-porting could become quite involving...

 Stefan