Intel Z270 support

Aaron Gray
I have two ASUS PRIME Z270-A machines based on Intel Z270 chipset and am wondering about when support will be available for them and what I can do to speed this up.

But I have not done anything to do with kernel work since years ago when I read a lot of the main parts of the Linux 2.4 Kernel. Also I did code to get into and out of protected mode before this.

Heres the datasheets that cover the chipset :-

Regards,

Aaron

--
Aaron Gray

Independent Open Source Software Engineer, Computer Language Researcher, Information Theorist, and amateur computer scientist.

Re: Intel Z270 support

Eric Duncan

On Thu, Oct 18, 2018 at 2:03 PM Aaron Gray wrote:
I have two ASUS PRIME Z270-A machines based on Intel Z270 chipset and am wondering about when support will be available for them and what I can do to speed this up.

But I have not done anything to do with kernel work since years ago when I read a lot of the main parts of the Linux 2.4 Kernel. Also I did code to get into and out of protected mode before this.

Heres the datasheets that cover the chipset :-

Regards,

Aaron

It's your Linux kernel that needs to support your hardware, not Xen itself.

I personally run Xen with an Arch Linux dom0 specifically for this purpose of getting the latest hardware support across my devices.  For example, I am on kernel 4.18.10 at this moment.  The AUR also keeps a fairly recent version of Xen, currently 4.11.

-E

Re: Intel Z270 support

Aaron Gray
On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 at 14:25, Eric Duncan <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, Oct 18, 2018 at 2:03 PM Aaron Gray wrote:
I have two ASUS PRIME Z270-A machines based on Intel Z270 chipset and am wondering about when support will be available for them and what I can do to speed this up.

But I have not done anything to do with kernel work since years ago when I read a lot of the main parts of the Linux 2.4 Kernel. Also I did code to get into and out of protected mode before this.

Heres the datasheets that cover the chipset :-

Regards,

Aaron

It's your Linux kernel that needs to support your hardware, not Xen itself.

I personally run Xen with an Arch Linux dom0 specifically for this purpose of getting the latest hardware support across my devices.  For example, I am on kernel 4.18.10 at this moment.  The AUR also keeps a fairly recent version of Xen, currently 4.11.

That sounds an interesting direction I would try Arch if I was not trying to get Xen Fedora rawhide sussed as I need this step to get my machine architecture working with Qubes.

F29 Beta has 4.11.0

At present I have one instillation on F29 that worked straight away with :-

    sudo yum groupinstall 'Virtualization'
    sudo yum install xen

And another were I did a yum update first and Xen it does not function with the missing module.mod and multiboot.mod issue that was found in F27 and F28.

I just need to do the diff's on /boot and the rpm's tomorrow to see what if I can find the issue.

Regards,

Aaron