Is there any profiling tools for XEN under ARM64

Is there any profiling tools for XEN under ARM64

Tom Ting[丁郁庭]

Hi All

As title, is there any way to do profiling under ARM64 platform (hypervisor-core especially)?

I’ve found there’s oprofile support for x86 system but not for arm/arm64.

Need to find out the hot-spot under high CPU usage.

Thanks

Tom

Re: Is there any profiling tools for XEN under ARM64

Julien Grall-3

On 09/05/17 13:08, Tom Ting[丁郁庭] wrote:
> Hi All

Hello,

> As title, is there any way to do profiling under ARM64 platform
> (hypervisor-core especially)?
>
> I’ve found there’s oprofile support for x86 system but not for arm/arm64.

oprofile is not yet support in Xen on ARM64. But I remember that some
people were profiling Xen (maybe with outside tools). I have CCed
Volodymyr who did mention it recently.

> Need to find out the hot-spot under high CPU usage.

Julien Grall

Re: Is there any profiling tools for XEN under ARM64

Volodymyr Babchuk
Hi Tom, Julien

>> As title, is there any way to do profiling under ARM64 platform
>> (hypervisor-core especially)?
>>
>> I’ve found there’s oprofile support for x86 system but not for arm/arm64.
>

> oprofile is not yet support in Xen on ARM64. But I remember that some people
> were profiling Xen (maybe with outside tools). I have CCed Volodymyr who did
> mention it recently.
Yes, I profiled XEN. But I used Lauterbach hardware debugger to do this.

On 09/05/17 16:35, Volodymyr Babchuk wrote:
> Hi Tom, Julien

Hi Volodymyr,

>>> As title, is there any way to do profiling under ARM64 platform
>>> (hypervisor-core especially)?
>>>
>>> I’ve found there’s oprofile support for x86 system but not for arm/arm64.
>>

>> oprofile is not yet support in Xen on ARM64. But I remember that some people
>> were profiling Xen (maybe with outside tools). I have CCed Volodymyr who did
>> mention it recently.
> Yes, I profiled XEN. But I used Lauterbach hardware debugger to do this.

Would you mind to share some details? There was question about that on
xen-users ML recently (see [1]).

Cheers,

[1] https://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-users/2017-04/msg00041.html

--
Julien Grall

Re: Is there any profiling tools for XEN under ARM64

Volodymyr Babchuk
Hi Julien,

>>> oprofile is not yet support in Xen on ARM64. But I remember that some
>>> people
>>> were profiling Xen (maybe with outside tools). I have CCed Volodymyr who
>>> did
>>> mention it recently.
>>
>> Yes, I profiled XEN. But I used Lauterbach hardware debugger to do this.
>
> Would you mind to share some details? There was question about that on
> xen-users ML recently (see [1]).
As I said in that thread, it is pretty straightforward and is covered
in documentation. I showed basic steps to load XEN symbols. Then you
just can use profiling menu in Trace32. It is pretty intuitive.
I'll gladly answer to any questions if there will be any.

> [1] https://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-users/2017-04/msg00041.html

--
WBR Volodymyr Babchuk aka lorc [+380976646013]
mailto: [hidden email]