Memory ballooning of Windows DomU

Colin Boxall
My Dom0 is Xen Project 4.9.2 running OpenSUSE Leap 42.3.  I have installed the Windows PV drivers on my Windows DomUs (Windows 10 Pro and Windows Server 2012 R2).  This is a home network / test environment.  I want to use memory ballooning, if possible.  One on Windows DomU I assigned (via virt-manager) 2 GB as the minimum memory and 8 GB as the maximum and then started the domain.  As a baseline, the DomU normally only had 2 GB of memory (2 GB was set as minimum and maximum).  With the higher maximum memory the domain took just about forever to actually start, and then had terrible performance while it was running.  I checked the domain from Dom0 and saw that it was only using 2 GB of memory despite performing memory intensive operations.

So, my questions are -

1) Is there anything else I need to do to enable memory ballooning with Windows DomUs?
2) Should I be getting different results than a very significant drop in performance?
3) Does auto-ballooning work for Windows DomU?
4) Is any of this the result of turning off ballooning for Dom0?
5) Is any of this the result of my host being an ancient PowerEdge 6800 (32 GB of RAM installed)?

I tried searching for information on this elsewhere, but all I could find was dozens of sites telling me to turn off ballooning for Dom0.  Well, duh...I did that when I first setup the host.  Any help I can get with this would be greatly appreciated.