New Win10 Home reliably crashes every other boot?!?

New Win10 Home reliably crashes every other boot?!?

Kevin Wang
Ubuntu Server 16, latest apt-get upgrade Specifically:
ii  xen-hypervisor-4.6-amd64  4.6.5-0ubuntu1.4  amd64  Xen Hypervisor on AMD64
Sample config:
 # cat /etc/xen/pos21.hvm
builder = "hvm"
name = "pos21.hvm"
memory = "4096"
vcpus = 1
vif = ['']
disk = ['phy:/dev/lvg/pos21-root,hda,w' ]
vnc = 1
vncdisplay = 1
vnclisten = '10.10.22.15'
usb = 1
usbdevice = ['tablet']  # fix mouse tracking problem
vncpasswd = 'elided'
boot = "dc"
stdvga = 1
videoram = 16
localtime = 1 # also need to manually set time inside windows to make it stick

lvg/lvm is just set up for raid 1

Windows 10 Home is also up-to-date wrt Windows Updates. According to System Information:
Version 10.0.10240 Build 10240
BIOS Version/Date Xen 4.6.5 10/13/2017
A hypervisor has been detected...

Hardware: Dell PowerEdge T30 ("desktop" form factor)
Cpu:
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1225 v5 @ 3.30GHz

Symptoms:
boot windows, and it hangs about 10 (cpu) seconds into booting. xl list shows that it's now taking up 100% of the cpu. waiting hours does nothing. xl destroy, then xl create and it boots fine but recreates the user profile as part of an automatic recovery something in windows. Start -> Shutdown, and it hangs again. repeat destroy|create, and it boots fine, but again recreates the user profile.

The puzzling thing is that these are fresh windows installs. yes, plural. all 3 installations hang in the same way! I've tried dd'ing the disks as backups to test its repeatability, and it's 100% repeatable (out of about 5 tries across 3 VMs). Unfortunately it's slow; takes about an hour for each restore, so I haven't done more iterations of tests.

I haven't the faintest idea what windows is dying on while booting. There's so far no software installed that should be starting at boot. (no office, nothing. just windows, maybe chrome. No virus software yet either. I glanced through Event Viewer, but nothing seems to stick out. I haven't the faintest idea what else to look for in Windows.

Help?

   - Kevin

Re: New Win10 Home reliably crashes every other boot?!?

Adi Pircalabu
On 12-07-2018 23:40, Kevin Wang wrote:

> Ubuntu Server 16, latest apt-get upgrade Specifically:
>
>> ii  xen-hypervisor-4.6-amd64  4.6.5-0ubuntu1.4  amd64  Xen
>> Hypervisor on AMD64
>
> Sample config:
>
>> # cat /etc/xen/pos21.hvm
>> builder = "hvm"
>> name = "pos21.hvm"
>> memory = "4096"
>> vcpus = 1
>> vif = ['']
>> disk = ['phy:/dev/lvg/pos21-root,hda,w' ]
>> vnc = 1
>> vncdisplay = 1
>> vnclisten = '10.10.22.15'
>> usb = 1
>> usbdevice = ['tablet']  # fix mouse tracking problem
>> vncpasswd = 'elided'
>> boot = "dc"
>> stdvga = 1
>> videoram = 16
>> localtime = 1 # also need to manually set time inside windows to
>> make it stick
>
> lvg/lvm is just set up for raid 1
>
> Windows 10 Home is also up-to-date wrt Windows Updates. According to
> System Information:
>
>> Version 10.0.10240 Build 10240
>
>> BIOS Version/Date Xen 4.6.5 10/13/2017
>
>> A hypervisor has been detected...
>
> Hardware: Dell PowerEdge T30 ("desktop" form factor)Cpu:
>
>> model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1225 v5 @ 3.30GHz
>
> Symptoms:
> boot windows, and it hangs about 10 (cpu) seconds into booting. xl
> list shows that it's now taking up 100% of the cpu. waiting hours does
> nothing. xl destroy, then xl create and it boots fine but recreates
> the user profile as part of an automatic recovery something in
> windows. Start -> Shutdown, and it hangs again. repeat destroy|create,
> and it boots fine, but again recreates the user profile.
>
> The puzzling thing is that these are fresh windows installs. yes,
> plural. all 3 installations hang in the same way! I've tried dd'ing
> the disks as backups to test its repeatability, and it's 100%
> repeatable (out of about 5 tries across 3 VMs). Unfortunately it's
> slow; takes about an hour for each restore, so I haven't done more
> iterations of tests.
>
> I haven't the faintest idea what windows is dying on while booting.
> There's so far no software installed that should be starting at boot.
> (no office, nothing. just windows, maybe chrome. No virus software yet
> either. I glanced through Event Viewer, but nothing seems to stick
> out. I haven't the faintest idea what else to look for in Windows.

Can you replicate the crash after installing the Windows PV drivers?
https://www.xenproject.org/downloads/windows-pv-drivers/winpv-drivers-8/winpv-drivers-821.html

Other ideas:
- Juggle with vif type and model in the domU config
- Get rid of videoram and stdvga entries

If it helps here's a domU configuration template I'm using for Win10,
2012R2 and 2016 on various dom0 Xen versions (4.6.6, 4.8.3, 4.10.1), all
running on CentOS 6 and 7

builder    = 'hvm'
memory     = 3072
shadow_memory   = '8'
cpu_weight = 256
name       = 'win10'
vif        = ['type=ioemu, bridge=br0, vifname=win10.0']
localtime  = 1
acpi        = 1
apic        = 1
vnc        = 1
vcpus      = 2
vncdisplay = 1
vncconsole = 1
vnclisten  = '0.0.0.0'
serial     = 'pty'
disk       = ['phy:/dev/vm/win10_img,hda,w']
boot       = 'c'
sdl        = 0
usb        = 1
usbdevice  = ['tablet']

HTH

---
Adi Pircalabu

Re: New Win10 Home reliably crashes every other boot?!?

Kevin Wang
Oh, one other odd thing is that start-> reboot? That doesn't trigger this behavior. I can reboot like 10 times in a row and it works fine. Only xl create has this effect. Will experiment more tomorrow, thanks for the info - kjw

On Thu, Jul 12, 2018, 20:49 Adi Pircalabu <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

shadow_memory   = '8'
cpu_weight = 256
name       = 'win10'
vif        = ['type=ioemu, bridge=br0, vifname=win10.0']
localtime  = 1
acpi        = 1
apic        = 1
vnc        = 1
vcpus      = 2
vncdisplay = 1
vncconsole = 1
vnclisten  = '0.0.0.0'
serial     = 'pty'
disk       = ['phy:/dev/vm/win10_img,hda,w']
boot       = 'c'
sdl        = 0
usb        = 1
usbdevice  = ['tablet']

HTH

---
Adi Pircalabu

Re: New Win10 Home reliably crashes every other boot?!?

Update, since the windows driver didn't want to support my old version of xen, I upgraded to ubuntu server 18 LTS. Now running Xen 4.9:
ii  xen-hypervisor-4.9-amd64  4.9.2-0ubuntu1  amd64  Xen Hypervisor on AMD64

I still have the exact same behaviour.
but booting now feels like it takes twice as long, about 120s instead of about 45-60s. sigh, but I can live with it.

I can use xl trigger nmi to force windows to crash dump, but I haven't any idea what to do with it.

looked at vif; setting mac= didn't make any sense. ditto for bridge=. nor gatewaydev=. type=ioemu is the default, but I'm using hvm, so I still need this.

huh. setting model=e1000 seems to have stopped the crashing. It's not satisfying (no actual diagnosis of the failure) but it at least unblocks me from pushing this further into production.

   - Kevin

On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 10:45 PM, Kevin Wang <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

shadow_memory   = '8'
cpu_weight = 256
name       = 'win10'
vif        = ['type=ioemu, bridge=br0, vifname=win10.0']
localtime  = 1
acpi        = 1
apic        = 1
vnc        = 1
vcpus      = 2
vncdisplay = 1
vncconsole = 1
vnclisten  = '0.0.0.0'
serial     = 'pty'
disk       = ['phy:/dev/vm/win10_img,hda,w']
boot       = 'c'
sdl        = 0
usb        = 1
usbdevice  = ['tablet']

HTH

---
Adi Pircalabu

Re: New Win10 Home reliably crashes every other boot?!?

now, it still occasionally hangs during shutdown (initiated by xl trigger $HVM power), requiring an "xl destroy". The symptoms are slightly different; it sits there consuming about .2-.3 cpu seconds per clock second (1 cpu per hvm, so no parallelism at work), even if left overnight it never finished shutting down. But it's only like 1 in 10 boot cycles now, which is much more manageable than 100% of "clean" shutdowns aren't.

I find it so odd that the simple act of booting is so difficult 8<

   - Kevin

On Sat, Jul 14, 2018 at 8:11 PM, Kevin Wang <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

shadow_memory   = '8'
cpu_weight = 256
name       = 'win10'
vif        = ['type=ioemu, bridge=br0, vifname=win10.0']
localtime  = 1
acpi        = 1
apic        = 1
vnc        = 1
vcpus      = 2
vncdisplay = 1
vncconsole = 1
vnclisten  = '0.0.0.0'
serial     = 'pty'
disk       = ['phy:/dev/vm/win10_img,hda,w']
boot       = 'c'
sdl        = 0
usb        = 1
usbdevice  = ['tablet']

HTH

---
Adi Pircalabu

Re: New Win10 Home reliably crashes every other boot?!?

Also, I can't install unsigned PV drivers on these production systems. It sounds like they will have signed drivers "soon" though.