Odd behavior?

Patrick O'Rourke
I suppose this is an edge case, but I accidentally stopped / started
xend and then "re-created" a domU that was already running at the time
of the restart.  After this, xm list showed two instances of the the
domU running:

> [root@laurel log]# xm list
> Name              Id  Mem(MB)  CPU VCPU(s)  State  Time(s)  Console
> Domain-0           0      251    -      2   r----   9078.8
> x5                 8      128    1      1   -----      2.9     9608
> x5                 8      128    1      1   -----      2.9     9608

A subsequent restart of xend stopped the double listing of the domU.
However after this I could no longer get a console to the domU after the
restart.  This was on xen-unstable bits downloaded / built on 8/1/05.

> [root@laurel xen]# xm console x5
> ************ REMOTE CONSOLE: CTRL-] TO QUIT ********
> Cannot connect to console 0 on domain 8
>
> ************ REMOTE CONSOLE EXITED *****************

FWIW,

Pat

p.s. One last question is that I often notice that the state presented
by "xm list" shows all blanks and was curious as to why that is.  Is it
something broken in my environment?  My machine is running FC4, but I am
not using the FC4 xen code, but the rather the latest (or fairly recent)
xen-unstable tree.

--
Patrick O'Rourke

Re: Odd behavior?

Mark Williamson
> A subsequent restart of xend stopped the double listing of the domU.
> However after this I could no longer get a console to the domU after the
> restart.  This was on xen-unstable bits downloaded / built on 8/1/05.

Sounds like the tools are a bit confused!  You might like to see if this goes
away as the tools get "broken out" further.  After a few weeks of 3.0-testing
if it's still there you should probably scream loudly :-)

> p.s. One last question is that I often notice that the state presented
> by "xm list" shows all blanks and was curious as to why that is.  Is it
> something broken in my environment?  My machine is running FC4, but I am
> not using the FC4 xen code, but the rather the latest (or fairly recent)
> xen-unstable tree.

If the domain has been pre-empted, it's not running 'r' (because it doesn't
have the CPU), blocked 'b' (because it was pre-empted), paused 'p', crashed
'c' or stopped 's', so the state fields will be blank.  It's perfectly
normal.

Cheers,
Mark

Re: Odd behavior?

Sean Dague
On Wed, Aug 03, 2005 at 03:08:36PM +0100, Mark Williamson wrote:

> > A subsequent restart of xend stopped the double listing of the domU.
> > However after this I could no longer get a console to the domU after the
> > restart.  This was on xen-unstable bits downloaded / built on 8/1/05.
>
> Sounds like the tools are a bit confused!  You might like to see if this goes
> away as the tools get "broken out" further.  After a few weeks of 3.0-testing
> if it's still there you should probably scream loudly :-)
>
> > p.s. One last question is that I often notice that the state presented
> > by "xm list" shows all blanks and was curious as to why that is.  Is it
> > something broken in my environment?  My machine is running FC4, but I am
> > not using the FC4 xen code, but the rather the latest (or fairly recent)
> > xen-unstable tree.
>
> If the domain has been pre-empted, it's not running 'r' (because it doesn't
> have the CPU), blocked 'b' (because it was pre-empted), paused 'p', crashed
> 'c' or stopped 's', so the state fields will be blank.  It's perfectly
> normal.
It might be really useful to change the display behavior to be much more
like what is returned with 'ps' for processes, with additional Xen states.
The 5 colums that never seem to show more than 1 at once (though it is
possible) seems very odd from an interface perspective.

Possible States (using PS states when appropriate)

R - running
B - blocked
P - paused
C - crashed
S - sleeping
H - halted (aka stopped)

As with ps you could have multiple state flags set (like SN), so getting rid
of the 5 columns wouldn't limit your options.

        -Sean

Sean Dague                                       Mid-Hudson Valley
sean at dague dot net                            Linux Users Group
http://dague.net                                 http://mhvlug.org

There is no silver bullet.  Plus, werewolves make better neighbors

Re: Odd behavior?

Mark Williamson
> It might be really useful to change the display behavior to be much more
> like what is returned with 'ps' for processes, with additional Xen states.
> The 5 colums that never seem to show more than 1 at once (though it is
> possible) seems very odd from an interface perspective.

I guess so.  I don't think I've often actually *seen* more than one active and
I'm not even sure you can have more than two.

> Possible States (using PS states when appropriate)
>
> R - running
> B - blocked
> P - paused
> C - crashed
> S - sleeping
> H - halted (aka stopped)
>
> As with ps you could have multiple state flags set (like SN), so getting
> rid of the 5 columns wouldn't limit your options.

Being closer to PS might make the tools more accessible to Unix-y people.  I'm
personally not too bothered one way or another but if someone were to submit
a patch (with corresponding updates to the user manual!) then I wouldn't
object to it :-)

Cheers,
Mark