Question about NFS domUs

lsm_7
Hi,

Is it possible to start a HVM domU via NFS?? I'm having problems trying to do it. I don't have any problem when I try with paravirtualized domU.  Any idea or suggestion?

Another question: is it possible to start a domU via NFS in localhost?? I know it's tricky but I need for a project I'm working.

Thanks anyway!!

RE: Question about NFS domUs

Ian Tobin-2
Hi,

Yes you can, we do it already.

For the second, not sure but I can't see why you would want to?

Thanks

Ian

RE: Question about NFS domUs

lsm_7
Thanks for the reply.

Could you explain me how to start a HVM domU via NFS?? It would very useful for me... My domU configuration file is:

#
#  Kernel
#
kernel = '/usr/lib/xen-4.1/boot/hvmloader'
builder = 'hvm'

#
#  Hostname
#
name        = 'natty.i2cat.net'

#
#  Memory
#
memory = '1024'
shadow_memory = 8
acpi = 1
apic = 1

#
#  UUID
#
uuid = '0702dad0-644a-4263-9675-cec03359b677'

#
#  CPUs
#
vcpus = 1

#
#  Networking
#
device_model = '/usr/lib/xen-4.1/bin/qemu-dm'
vif = [ 'type=ioemu, mac=00:16:3E:FD:77:0A, bridge=eth1' ]

#
#  Disk device(s).
#
#disk = [ 'phy:/dev/vservers/natty.i2cat.net-disk,ioemu:hda,w',
#         'phy:/dev/cdrom,hdc:cdrom,r'
#         'file:/images/ubuntu-11.04-desktop-i386.iso,hdc:cdrom,r'
#       ]
root        = '/dev/nfs'
nfs_server  = 'chucknorris.i2cat.net'
nfs_root    = '/mnt/virtuals/natty'

boot='dc'
sdl=0

#
#  VNC Config
#
vfb = [ 'type=vnc,vncdisplay=96,vncpasswd=ubuntu' ]

serial='pty'
usbdevice='tablet'
localtime = 1

#
#  Behaviour
#
on_poweroff = 'destroy'
on_reboot   = 'restart'
on_crash    = 'restart'

Related to the second question, I'm migrating virtual machines when my nodes of the virtualization cluster are collapsed. Most of the nodes are diskless, so their disk is mounted via NFS connected to a central node. This central node has a partition in LVM for everyone of the diskless nodes. Then, all domUs are executed in these nodes must be started via NFS. But these domUs can be migrated to the central node, so domUs can be started without NFS but the config should be changed... so it is not a great idea... Then, the idea is to start all the domUs via NFS independently of the node where it's executed. I don't know if my explanation is clear...

I hope somebody can help me!

Thanks

Luismi

RE: Question about NFS domUs

Ian Tobin-2
If you have your nfs share mounted to say /mnt/vpsdata you don't need
what you have, just use

disk = [ 'file:/mnt/vpsdata/example.img,hda,w' ]

thanks

RE: Question about NFS domUs

Ian Tobin-2
Re the second point.

So your using a xen server also as an NFS server? I would probably
suggest you don't and have the NFS separate as you will be putting extra
load on the nfs/xenserver server.  If you are worried about nodes dying
then wouldn't it be better to cluster?

RE: Question about NFS domUs

lsm_7
Sorry, but I don't understand what you are trying to explain...

Every time a domU is created using "xen-create-image", a partition in LVM of the central node is created. So, I don't use file images. In order to start this virtual machines in diskless nodes, I use the next lines, and for paravirtualization it works, but mysteriously for hvm not:

root        = '/dev/nfs'
nfs_server  = 'chucknorris.i2cat.net'
nfs_root    = '/mnt/virtuals/natty'

In hvm, when I try to start the domain with: xm create /etc/xen/natty.i2cat.net.cfg -c. The ouptut lines are:

Using config file "/etc/xen/natty.i2cat.net.cfg".
Error: Domain 'natty.i2cat.net' does not exist.

I don't understand it... any idea??

RE: Question about NFS domUs

lsm_7
Related to the second point, you are right, but this central node is the only which has a disk array, the other nodes are diskless. So, as you said, NFS server is in the central node...

RE: Question about NFS domUs

Ian Tobin-2
In my experience this error is to do with the networking setup.  Simple
test is to comment out the vif line and boot up.

Also check your logs in /var/log/xen

Ian

RE: Question about NFS domUs

lsm_7
It happens the same... doesn't change. I really need help with this topic.

Luismi

RE: Question about NFS domUs

Ian Tobin-2
Did you check the logs?

If it is a HVM guest then I don't think you would have the root file
system defined as this is on the para guest configs.

Sorry ive not done HVM guests with NFS roots before, I just use file
based when using NFS and it works fine

Ian

It happens the same... doesn't change. I really need help with this
topic.

Luismi

RE: Question about NFS domUs

lsm_7