Re: Guest Os , network device names

Jan Brinkmann
On Wed, January 11, 2006 1:58 pm, Jan Brinkmann wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm searching for a way to assign fixed network device names to a guest
> os. The problem is I want to be able to configure a network device with
> the scripts of a guest os, for example eth0. It seems to me that the
> device names change from time to time, it happens that if I reboot the
> guest os that the network device pops up as eth1. The initscripts of the
> guest os fail in that case, because they're searching for eth0. What can I
> do to resolve that issue?
>
> -- Jan

Just in case anybody runs into this problem:

At least one possible solution for udev based systems is it to define a
udev rule in /etc/udev/rules.d/30-net_persistent_names.rules like the
following:

SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", SYSFS{address}=="<your mac here>",
IMPORT="/sbin/rename_netiface %k eth0"

Then you will get your fixed network device name. =)

-- Jan