Re: Problems building a xen0 kernel on Suse 9.3 Pro

Re: Problems building a xen0 kernel on Suse 9.3 Pro

Fernando Maior
On 5/21/05, James Bulpin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jeff,
>
> Please don't take this the wrong way, I don't mean to insult your
> intelligence - are you sure you're building a xen kernel tree rather than
> the native (ARCH=xen will not work on the latter). Presumably this is the
> SuSE source RPM rather than one of our tarball or BK distributions? Could
> be an issue with the location that the RPM installs the source to.
>
> Regards,
>
> James
> (will be offline from now until tomorrow)
>
> On Fri, May 20, 2005 11:03 pm, Jeffrey Buell said:
> > I installed Suse 9.3 Pro along with all the kernel tools and sources.  I
> > was
> > easily able to build a new regular kernel, but not a xen0 kernel.  With
> > ARCH=xen and using the supplied config file, "make" almost immediately
> > runs
> > into problems creating links to various asm directories in the
> > kernel/build
> > dir.  I fixed this by copying all of /usr/src/linux into kernel/build.
> > Everything then compiled but I got 2 undefined references:  teardown_irq
> > in
> > ctrl_if_suspend, and kmap_flush_unused in balloon_process.  Presumably
> > there
> > is no bug since a working xen0 kernel was supplied in the distro.  What do
> > people do differently when building a xen0 kernel vs. a regular kernel?
> >
> > Jeff

> > [hidden email]

> http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users

Jeffrey,

I did not build Xen on 9.3, instead I used 9.2, basically because
I live in a country where there is not access even to 9.2 disks,
and I downloaded the ISO images and wrote the CD myself,
what I cannot do with 9.3 yet - there is no ISO images from
Novell SUSE yet :(

Still, it should not be that different. I just downloaded Xen source
from Xen site, applied all needed and dependencies packages -
for compilation and devel - and, the most important, grab the
linux-2.6.10 from kernel.org and put the file into the directory
created by the untargzip of the Xen source.

Then I read the :

# make xen
# make tools
# make kernels

Was enough for what I want. After that,

# make install-xen
# make install-tools
# make install-kernels

--
Bye,
Fernando Maior

On 5/22/05, Fernando Maior <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5/21/05, James Bulpin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Jeff,
> >
> > Please don't take this the wrong way, I don't mean to insult your
> > intelligence - are you sure you're building a xen kernel tree rather than
> > the native (ARCH=xen will not work on the latter). Presumably this is the
> > SuSE source RPM rather than one of our tarball or BK distributions? Could
> > be an issue with the location that the RPM installs the source to.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > James
> > (will be offline from now until tomorrow)
> >
> > On Fri, May 20, 2005 11:03 pm, Jeffrey Buell said:
> > > I installed Suse 9.3 Pro along with all the kernel tools and sources.  I
> > > was
> > > easily able to build a new regular kernel, but not a xen0 kernel.  With
> > > ARCH=xen and using the supplied config file, "make" almost immediately
> > > runs
> > > into problems creating links to various asm directories in the
> > > kernel/build
> > > dir.  I fixed this by copying all of /usr/src/linux into kernel/build.
> > > Everything then compiled but I got 2 undefined references:  teardown_irq
> > > in
> > > ctrl_if_suspend, and kmap_flush_unused in balloon_process.  Presumably
> > > there
> > > is no bug since a working xen0 kernel was supplied in the distro.  What do
> > > people do differently when building a xen0 kernel vs. a regular kernel?
> > >
> > > Jeff

> > > [hidden email]
> > > http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users

> > [hidden email]
> > http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users
> >

> Jeffrey,
>
> I did not build Xen on 9.3, instead I used 9.2, basically because
> I live in a country where there is not access even to 9.2 disks,
> and I downloaded the ISO images and wrote the CD myself,
> what I cannot do with 9.3 yet - there is no ISO images from
> Novell SUSE yet :(
>
> Still, it should not be that different. I just downloaded Xen source
> from Xen site, applied all needed and dependencies packages -
> for compilation and devel - and, the most important, grab the
> linux-2.6.10 from kernel.org and put the file into the directory
> created by the untargzip of the Xen source.
>
> Then I read the :
>
> # make xen
> # make tools
> # make kernels