Re: qdisk and debian (and rbd)

James Harper

> I just turned off build of qemu-user (failed to link rbd static) and I now have a
> qemu that should work with rbd. But xen doesn't seem to allow me to select
> rbd. How should I express a rbd configuration in disk= ? Or do I now need to
> rebuild xen with rbd support?

Hmmm... it seems that xl (in 4.3.0 at least) artificially restricts the allowed formats. I had to add a "LIBXL_DISK_FORMAT_RBD" in a few places to get it to work. It would be better if backendtype=qdisk left the format parsing up to qemu rather than put artificial restrictions in and requiring a patch every time a new format is added to qemu...

James

http://lists.xen.org/xen-users

Re: qdisk and debian (and rbd)

Ian Campbell-10
On Fri, 2013-12-20 at 23:46 +0000, James Harper wrote:

> > I just turned off build of qemu-user (failed to link rbd static) and I now have a
> > qemu that should work with rbd. But xen doesn't seem to allow me to select
> > rbd. How should I express a rbd configuration in disk= ? Or do I now need to
> > rebuild xen with rbd support?
> >

> Hmmm... it seems that xl (in 4.3.0 at least) artificially restricts
> the allowed formats. I had to add a "LIBXL_DISK_FORMAT_RBD" in a few
> places to get it to work. It would be better if backendtype=qdisk left
> the format parsing up to qemu rather than put artificial restrictions
> in and requiring a patch every time a new format is added to qemu...

Please report this to xen-devel.

Although my first reaction is that RBD is not a disk format. I thought
Dave Scott had made libxl work with ceph, perhaps only in 4.4 though.
The "transport protocol" is part of the "target" specification I think.
The format for such things is "raw IIRC -- IOW regardless of what the
backend uses, what the client sees is a bare disk, unless you do
something extra clever like format the RBD volume and stick a qcow in
it.

Ian.

http://lists.xen.org/xen-users

Re: qdisk and debian (and rbd)

Ian Campbell-10
On Mon, 2014-01-06 at 09:20 +0000, Ian Campbell wrote:

> On Fri, 2013-12-20 at 23:46 +0000, James Harper wrote:
> > >
> > > I just turned off build of qemu-user (failed to link rbd static) and I now have a
> > > qemu that should work with rbd. But xen doesn't seem to allow me to select
> > > rbd. How should I express a rbd configuration in disk= ? Or do I now need to
> > > rebuild xen with rbd support?
> > >

> > Hmmm... it seems that xl (in 4.3.0 at least) artificially restricts
> > the allowed formats. I had to add a "LIBXL_DISK_FORMAT_RBD" in a few
> > places to get it to work. It would be better if backendtype=qdisk left
> > the format parsing up to qemu rather than put artificial restrictions
> > in and requiring a patch every time a new format is added to qemu...
>
> Please report this to xen-devel.

NM, I see you did already...

http://lists.xen.org/xen-users