Re: "Hello Xen Project" Book.

Lars Kurth-4
Hi Mohsen,

> On 15 Mar 2017, at 09:50, Mohsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear Xen Project community members,
>
> I have written a Xen book recently (pdf attached) which is aimed at teaching Xen newbies. I would like to make the book available to the Xen Project under a CC-BY-SA-3.0 license. Ideally, I would like to publish the content on the Xen Project wiki in an editable form, such that others can contribute and build on it and it stays up-to-date. I also noticed that the Xen Wiki has the https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Collection extension, which should make it possible to create a PDF, ODF or DocBook from the pages for those who want a manual rather than wiki pages.

Thank you for doing this. As far as I can tell the fact that you published the book under CC-BY-SA-3.0 would make it possible to move the content to the wiki.

> I had a conversation with Lars to check whether this is possible and he believes it is. He suggests that first we upload the book as pdf to the wiki and as a second step, agree an information architecture and then convert the book to mark-down. There are a number of conversion tools which should get us there some of the way, with a bit of cleanup and beautification needed after the initial import. I can make the source available in a format that makes conversion to markdown easier.

We do need to find a way to convert the content into markdown format though, which may be quite a bit of work.

I have done this before for html pages, converting them into docman markdown. I have not checked whether there are online or command line tools which do that for mediawiki markdown. In any case, the conversion is fundamentally doable, although it will be somewhat tedious to do this. If anyone has more experience, please share and advise what the best way forward is.

The main problem that I faced when doing something similar were tables, figures and other more advanced formatting. Much of this may get lost or "corrupted" in some way and will have to be re-introduced post conversion.

@Mohsen: as far as I recall, you used Word or LibreOffice to create the book? Is that correct? If so, it should be possible to save it in html, which would ensure that figures and so on are saved in some sensible way. We would probably need to find a temporary location where to store this. And we can start experimenting a little and maybe provide a quick guide on how to do this.

As for the information architecture, I was thinking about a structure such as ...

https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/<wikibook>
https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/<wikibook>/title_and_credits
https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/<wikibook>/<chapter>
... a separate article for each article in the book, such as "Virtualization and Security". As a first step, we would probably keep the original chapter structure.

This would then look something like ...
https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/HelloXenProject
https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/HelloXenProject/0/Title
https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/HelloXenProject/0/Credits
https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/HelloXenProject/0/Licence
https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/HelloXenProject/1-Intro
https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/HelloXenProject/1-Intro/History
https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/HelloXenProject/1-Intro/TypesOfVirtualization

We may need some other extensible numbering scheme, which would make it easy to create PDF's with https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Collection - again, this is something I don't have experience with.

> What do people think? Is this a good idea? Would anyone be willing to help? I am not very familiar with Markdown and would need someone else to help with the wikification of the book. Lars already volunteered to help.

I will definitely help, but this would be an activity, which could easily be distributed. So help from others would be very highly appreciated.

Best Regards
Lars

Re: "Hello Xen Project" Book.

Mohsen
Thank you so much Lars.
I used LibreOffice and I will test HTML format and inform you.
The structure that you listed was good and I hope Xen experts and developers like you dedicate some hours at the weekends for update this book and add more topics to it. I bet it is a good project for help beginners and introduce Xen to people. This book can become a Bible for Xen if friends working on it.

On Wed, 3/15/17, Lars Kurth <[hidden email]> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [Xen-users] "Hello Xen Project" Book.
 To: "Mohsen" <[hidden email]>
 Cc: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
 Date: Wednesday, March 15, 2017, 4:04 PM

 Hi Mohsen,

 > On 15 Mar 2017, at 09:50,
 Mohsen <[hidden email]>
 wrote:

> [...]

 https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/HelloXenProject/1-Intro
 https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/HelloXenProject/1-Intro/History
 https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/HelloXenProject/1-Intro/TypesOfVirtualization

 We may need some other
 extensible numbering scheme, which would make it easy to
 create PDF's with https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Collection
 - again, this is something I don't have experience
 with.

 > What do people
 think? Is this a good idea? Would anyone be willing to help?
 I am not very familiar with Markdown and would need someone
 else to help with the wikification of the book. Lars already
 volunteered to help.

 I will
 definitely help, but this would be an activity, which could
 easily be distributed. So help from others would be very

Dave Stevens
On Wed, 15 Mar 2017 09:50:02 +0000 (UTC)
Mohsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Xen Project community members,
>
> I have written a Xen book recently (pdf attached) which is aimed at
> teaching Xen newbies. I would like to make the book available to the
> Xen Project under a CC-BY-SA-3.0 license. Ideally, I would like to
> publish the content on the Xen Project wiki in an editable form, such
> that others can contribute and build on it and it stays up-to-date. I
> also noticed that the Xen Wiki has the
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Collection extension, which
> should make it possible to create a PDF, ODF or DocBook from the
> pages for those who want a manual rather than wiki pages.
>
> I had a conversation with Lars to check whether this is possible and
> he believes it is. He suggests that first we upload the book as pdf
> to the wiki and as a second step, agree an information architecture
> and then convert the book to mark-down. There are a number of
> conversion tools which should get us there some of the way, with a
> bit of cleanup and beautification needed after the initial import. I
> can make the source available in a format that makes conversion to
> markdown easier.
>
> What do people think? Is this a good idea? Would anyone be willing to
> help? I am not very familiar with Markdown and would need someone
> else to help with the wikification of the book. Lars already
> volunteered to help.
>
> Best Regards

you might want to look at something like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_Proofreaders

Dave

--
In modern fantasy (literary or governmental), killing people is the
usual solution to the so-called war between good and evil. My books are

----- Ursula Le Guin

Re: [Xen-devel] "Hello Xen Project" Book.

Juergen Gross-3
On 15/03/17 19:05, Mohsen wrote:
> Thank you so much Lars.
> I used LibreOffice and I will test HTML format and inform you.

You are aware of the MediaWiki export function of LibreOffice?

Juergen

Re: [Xen-devel] "Hello Xen Project" Book.

Lars Kurth-4

> On 16 Mar 2017, at 05:00, Juergen Gross <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 15/03/17 19:05, Mohsen wrote:
>> Thank you so much Lars.
>> I used LibreOffice and I will test HTML format and inform you.
>
> You are aware of the MediaWiki export function of LibreOffice?

Yes, but I have not been able to find the extension at https://extensions.libreoffice.org/
The extension seems to have been discontinued some time ago
I don't know whether there are any distros, where you can still get it from.
Lars

On 28/03/17 13:51, Lars Kurth wrote:

>> On 16 Mar 2017, at 05:00, Juergen Gross <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 15/03/17 19:05, Mohsen wrote:
>>> Thank you so much Lars.
>>> I used LibreOffice and I will test HTML format and inform you.
>>
>> You are aware of the MediaWiki export function of LibreOffice?
>
> Yes, but I have not been able to find the extension at https://extensions.libreoffice.org/
> The extension seems to have been discontinued some time ago
> I don't know whether there are any distros, where you can still get it from.

openSUSE seems to have it (libreOffice 5.2.3.3).

Juergen

Re: [Xen-devel] "Hello Xen Project" Book.

M A Young
On Tue, 28 Mar 2017, Juergen Gross wrote:

> On 28/03/17 13:51, Lars Kurth wrote:

> >> You are aware of the MediaWiki export function of LibreOffice?
> >
> > Yes, but I have not been able to find the extension at https://extensions.libreoffice.org/
> > The extension seems to have been discontinued some time ago
> > I don't know whether there are any distros, where you can still get it from.
>
> openSUSE seems to have it (libreOffice 5.2.3.3).

and fedora has the libreoffice-wiki-publisher package as part of
ite LibreOffice build (5.2.6.2 in F25)

        Michael Young

Re: [Xen-devel] "Hello Xen Project" Book.

Mohsen
Hello Lars.
How about "https://en.wikitolearn.org/WikiToLearn_Manual/Converting_LibreOffice_to_MediaWiki_Format" or "https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/libreoffice-wiki-publisher/"?
On Tue, 3/28/17, Lars Kurth <[hidden email]> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [Xen-users] "Hello Xen Project" Book.
 To: "Juergen Gross" <[hidden email]>
 Cc: "Mohsen" <[hidden email]>, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
 Date: Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 4:21 PM

 15/03/17 19:05, Mohsen wrote:
 >> Thank
 you so much Lars.
 >> I used
 LibreOffice and I will test HTML format and inform you.

 > You are aware of the
 MediaWiki export function of LibreOffice?

 Yes, but I have not been able
 to find the extension at https://extensions.libreoffice.org/
 The extension seems to have been discontinued
 some time ago
 I don't know whether there
 are any distros, where you can still get it from.
 Lars

Re: [Xen-devel] "Hello Xen Project" Book.

Mohsen
I'm using LibreOffice 4.3.3.2 on Debian amd64 and this version not have MediaWiki export function!!
On Tue, 3/28/17, M A Young <[hidden email]> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [Xen-users] [Xen-devel]  "Hello Xen Project" Book.
 To: "Juergen Gross" <[hidden email]>
 Cc: "Lars Kurth" <[hidden email]>, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>, "Mohsen" <[hidden email]>, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
 Date: Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 5:16 PM

 wrote:

 test HTML format and inform you.

 > >> You are aware of the
 MediaWiki export function of LibreOffice?

 > > Yes, but I
 have not been able to find the extension at https://extensions.libreoffice.org/
 > > The extension seems to have been
 discontinued some time ago
 don't know whether there are any distros, where you can
 still get it from.

 > openSUSE seems to have it (libreOffice
 5.2.3.3).

 and fedora has
 the libreoffice-wiki-publisher package as part of
 ite LibreOffice build (5.2.6.2 in F25)

     Michael Young

Re: [Xen-devel] "Hello Xen Project" Book.

Mike Wright
On 03/28/2017 12:11 PM, Mohsen wrote:
> I'm using LibreOffice 4.3.3.2 on Debian amd64 and this version not have MediaWiki export function!!

There was a deb for the libreoffice extension
libreoffice-wiki-publisher.  Give that a try.

On 28/03/17 21:33, Mike Wright wrote:
> On 03/28/2017 12:11 PM, Mohsen wrote:
>> I'm using LibreOffice 4.3.3.2 on Debian amd64 and this version not
>> have MediaWiki export function!!
>
> There was a deb for the libreoffice extension
> libreoffice-wiki-publisher.  Give that a try.

In the end you need that only once for the initial conversion. So
instead of trying to find the correct package you could just use
your Xen skills to create an openSUSE VM and do it there. :-)

Juergen

Re: [Xen-devel] "Hello Xen Project" Book.

Lars Kurth-4

> On 29 Mar 2017, at 05:51, Juergen Gross <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 28/03/17 21:33, Mike Wright wrote:
>> On 03/28/2017 12:11 PM, Mohsen wrote:
>>> I'm using LibreOffice 4.3.3.2 on Debian amd64 and this version not
>>> have MediaWiki export function!!
>>
>> There was a deb for the libreoffice extension
>> libreoffice-wiki-publisher.  Give that a try.
>
> In the end you need that only once for the initial conversion. So
> instead of trying to find the correct package you could just use
> your Xen skills to create an openSUSE VM and do it there. :-)

Juergen, thanks for the tip. I installed an openSUSE VM and the libreoffice-wiki-publisher came as default, which is good. So I ran a few tests.

First, what I couldn't get to work: I tried Send > MediaWiki in the hope that this would allow transferring of images, but could not get it to work. There seems to be an issue with authentication on the XenProject wiki side. But File > Export [MediaWiki (.txt)] works.

Also, I couldn't find any docs for the converter: the help links to pages which do not exist. But hey, we can live with that.

Here is what I learned:
=======================
* The export granularity is 1 LibreOffice document to 1 Wiki Page
* URLs are correctly converted
* Headlines (aka text marked as "Heading 1", "Heading 2", etc. are not converted) to = ... =, == ... ==, etc.
* Images are not converted: when an image is found, "[[image:|top]]" is inserted
* I don't know how code snippets will come across in terms of formatting, as I don't have the ODT source of the book

What does this mean:
====================
In principle, this means that should be doable with 1-2 days worth of work. However it's not going to be entirely trivial. What we would need to do is to:
* Break the original book ODT file into smaller sections (probably along the chapter structure as exposed in the Contents)
* Then take each of the ODT files and do the following
** Save as MediaWiki (.txt) [1]. If appropriate remove tags using http://www.unit-conversion.info/texttools/strip-tags/
** Save as html [2] - to get the images. The bad news is that the images are saved using some hash names and not in the order they are in the document
** Create the wiki page from [1]
** Fix up bad formatting (such as missing = ... =, == ... ==, etc.)
** Manually upload the images from [2]
** Add appropriate [[Category:...]] tags at the bottom of each page. At least one for the wiki-book, e.g. [[Category:HelloXenProjectBook]] or something similar. But of course further categories per topic can be added as needed.

Once we have all the content, create the common pages such as contents, credits, etc. - and we should have a good starting point.

Best Regards
Lars

Re: [Xen-devel] "Hello Xen Project" Book.

Mohsen
Thank you for openSUSE VM and the libreoffice-wiki-publisher but you must split the .odt file?

On Monday, April 3, 2017 8:38 AM, Lars Kurth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 29 Mar 2017, at 05:51, Juergen Gross <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 28/03/17 21:33, Mike Wright wrote:
>> On 03/28/2017 12:11 PM, Mohsen wrote:
>>> I'm using LibreOffice 4.3.3.2 on Debian amd64 and this version not
>>> have MediaWiki export function!!
>>
>> There was a deb for the libreoffice extension
>> libreoffice-wiki-publisher.  Give that a try.
>
> In the end you need that only once for the initial conversion. So
> instead of trying to find the correct package you could just use
> your Xen skills to create an openSUSE VM and do it there. :-)

Juergen, thanks for the tip. I installed an openSUSE VM and the libreoffice-wiki-publisher came as default, which is good. So I ran a few tests.

First, what I couldn't get to work: I tried Send > MediaWiki in the hope that this would allow transferring of images, but could not get it to work. There seems to be an issue with authentication on the XenProject wiki side. But File > Export [MediaWiki (.txt)] works.

Also, I couldn't find any docs for the converter: the help links to pages which do not exist. But hey, we can live with that.

Here is what I learned:
=======================
* The export granularity is 1 LibreOffice document to 1 Wiki Page
* URLs are correctly converted
* Headlines (aka text marked as "Heading 1", "Heading 2", etc. are not converted) to = ... =, == ... ==, etc.
* Images are not converted: when an image is found, "[[image:|top]]" is inserted
* I don't know how code snippets will come across in terms of formatting, as I don't have the ODT source of the book

What does this mean:
====================
In principle, this means that should be doable with 1-2 days worth of work. However it's not going to be entirely trivial. What we would need to do is to:
* Break the original book ODT file into smaller sections (probably along the chapter structure as exposed in the Contents)
* Then take each of the ODT files and do the following
** Save as MediaWiki (.txt) [1]. If appropriate remove tags using http://www.unit-conversion.info/texttools/strip-tags/
** Save as html [2] - to get the images. The bad news is that the images are saved using some hash names and not in the order they are in the document
** Create the wiki page from [1]
** Fix up bad formatting (such as missing = ... =, == ... ==, etc.)
** Manually upload the images from [2]
** Add appropriate [[Category:...]] tags at the bottom of each page. At least one for the wiki-book, e.g. [[Category:HelloXenProjectBook]] or something similar. But of course further categories per topic can be added as needed.

Once we have all the content, create the common pages such as contents, credits, etc. - and we should have a good starting point.

Best Regards
Lars

Re: [Xen-devel] "Hello Xen Project" Book.

Lars Kurth-4
Hi all,

I had a go at converting the first chapter

All relevant information for people to help out is there. If anyone wants to help and needs some advice, feel free to do so

Best Regards
Lars

On 4 Apr 2017, at 15:25, Mohsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

** Save as html [2] - to get the images. The bad news is that the images are saved using some hash names and not in the order they are in the document
** Create the wiki page from [1]
** Fix up bad formatting (such as missing = ... =, == ... ==, etc.)
** Manually upload the images from [2]
** Add appropriate [[Category:...]] tags at the bottom of each page. At least one for the wiki-book, e.g. [[Category:HelloXenProjectBook]] or something similar. But of course further categories per topic can be added as needed.

Once we have all the content, create the common pages such as contents, credits, etc. - and we should have a good starting point.

Best Regards
Lars

Re: [Xen-devel] "Hello Xen Project" Book.

I like to see the first chapter and I must say that LibreOffice on Windows OS has the MediaWiki plug in and working very well.

 To: "Mohsen" <[hidden email]>
 Cc: "Mohsen Mostafa Jokar" <[hidden email]>, "Juergen Gross" <[hidden email]>, "xen-devel" <[hidden email]>, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
 Date: Wednesday, April 12, 2017, 5:36 PM

 Hi all,
 I had
 a go at converting the first chapter* See https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Category:HelloXenProjectBook (and https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Book/HelloXenProject/Instructions_for_Conversion)* And https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Book/HelloXenProject/0-Contents

 Mohsen wrote:
 >>> I'm using LibreOffice
 4.3.3.2 on Debian amd64 and this version not
 >>> have MediaWiki export
 function!!

 >> There was a
 deb for the libreoffice extension
 >> libreoffice-wiki-publisher.
 Give that a try.

 > In the end you
 need that only once for the initial conversion. So
 > instead of trying to
 find the correct package you could just use
 > your Xen skills to create an
 openSUSE VM and do it there. :-)

 Juergen, thanks for the tip. I
 installed an openSUSE VM and the libreoffice-wiki-publisher
 came as default, which is good. So I ran a few tests.

 First, what I couldn't get to
 work: I tried Send > MediaWiki in the hope that this
 would allow transferring of images, but could not get it to
 work. There seems to be an issue with authentication on the
 XenProject wiki side. But File > Export [MediaWiki
 (.txt)] works.

 Also, I couldn't find
 any docs for the converter: the help links to pages which do
 not exist. But hey, we can live with that.

 Here is what I learned:
 =======================
 * The export granularity
 is 1 LibreOffice document to 1 Wiki Page
 * Most of the basic formatting such as
 lists and tables get correctly converted, but the converter
 introduces an awful lot of <span
 style"...">...</span> and <div
 style"...">...</div> attributes.
 Basically it does this every time, something slightly out of
 the ordinary has been done with text. These may have to be
 stripped with on-line tools such as http://www.unit-conversion.info/texttools/strip-tags/
 or similar, otherwise the wiki pages become a nightmare
 to edit in future.
 *
[...]

 **
 Fix up bad formatting (such as missing = ... =, == ... ==,
 etc.)
 ** Manually
 upload the images from [2]
 ** Add appropriate [[Category:...]]
 tags at the bottom of each page. At least one for the
 wiki-book, e.g. [[Category:HelloXenProjectBook]] or
 something similar. But of course further categories per
 topic can be added as needed.

 Once we have all the content, create
 the common pages such as contents, credits, etc. - and we
 should have a good starting point.

 Best Regards
 Lars

Re: [Xen-devel] "Hello Xen Project" Book.

Jason Long
It is a good news and I hope Xen experts thinking about beginners like me. Xen is great but have some problems in documenting and easy to use. I hope to see this book on Xen Project website soon.

Thank you Xen team.

 To: "Mohsen" <[hidden email]>
 Cc: "Juergen Gross" <[hidden email]>, "xen-devel" <[hidden email]>, "Mohsen Mostafa Jokar" <[hidden email]>, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
 Date: Wednesday, April 12, 2017, 5:36 PM

 Hi all,

 wrote:
 >> On
 03/28/2017 12:11 PM, Mohsen wrote:
 >>> I'm using LibreOffice
 4.3.3.2 on Debian amd64 and this version not
 >>> have MediaWiki export
 function!!

> [...]

 ** Manually
 upload the images from [2]
 ** Add appropriate [[Category:...]]
 tags at the bottom of each page. At least one for the
 wiki-book, e.g. [[Category:HelloXenProjectBook]] or
 something similar. But of course further categories per
 topic can be added as needed.

 Once we have all the content, create
 the common pages such as contents, credits, etc. - and we
 should have a good starting point.

 Best Regards
 Lars

Re: [Xen-devel] "Hello Xen Project" Book.

Lars Kurth-4

> On 13 Apr 2017, at 14:56, Jason Long <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It is a good news and I hope Xen experts thinking about beginners like me. Xen is great but have some problems in documenting and easy to use. I hope to see this book on Xen Project website soon.

You are welcome. The content has essentially been transferred: see https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Category:HelloXenProjectBook
The formatting can probably be improved in some areas, but generally seems fine: see https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Book/HelloXenProject/Instructions_for_Improvement

Regards
Lars