Re: removal of ia64 port

KUWAMURA Shin'ya
Hi Jan,

Thank you for your work on ia64.
I am sorry that ia64 remains broken for a long time.

> Given that the ia64 port hasn't really been maintained for the last couple
> of years (I am apparently the only one to try to keep it building at least,
> but I suspect that it has been non-functional for quite a while), I'd like to
> propose to remove the port. After quite some time of trying to get an
> opinion from Intel on this, I was now notified of their agreement to this
> move.
> From my pov, the only thing to discuss here is whether this should
> happen right away, or after 4.2 went out (then with a formal removal
> proposal in that release - the port's state isn't being reflected correctly
> anyway in ./MAINTAINERS afaict).

I hope that ia64 code remains in xen-unstable for the time being.
I am inspecting the problem of hypervisor now.

Current ia64 status is:

- xen-4.0-testing: work
It still work on ia64 with small fixes. I will send patches later.

- xen-4.1-testing: probably work with xend
  - libxl does not work on ia64.

- xen-unstable: not work
  - The hypervisor cannot boot.
  - It worked on ia64 in October, 2010.

Best regards,
--
  KUWAMURA Shin'ya

Re: [Xen-devel] removal of ia64 port

KUWAMURA Shin'ya
Hi Ian and Jan,

> Kuwamura, what is your motivation for wanting to keeping the ia64 port
> in 4.2 and beyond?

As the result of my consideration,
I agree that ia64 port will be dropped on xen-unstable, since it seems
to be hardly needed:
- There was little discussion on xen-ia64-devel ML recently.
- There are few Xen ia64 developers.
- No new feature will be added.

Best regards,
--