Re: using domu as network backend

Czakó Krisztián
2005-05-20, p keltezéssel 09.10-kor Mark Williamson ezt írta:

> > The first steps are ok. I hide the network devices from dom0, give domu
> > access to the pci devices, and use a kernel with hw access and network
> > backend compiled in.
> > I can start a domu that can use a network card, but how can I configure
> > an other domu to use this domain as network backend instead of dom0?
>
> You need to set some config file options.
>
> For the backend domain, set "netif=1" to tell Xend it's an authorised backend.
>
> In the frontend, for each VIF you declare you need to add a "backend=dom" in
> the config list item for each vif, to connect that vif to the backend.
> Writing "dom" as a domain number will certainly work, I'm not sure if a
> textual domain name will work.

Thanx. Textual name works fine, the vif interface is created in the
right netif backend domain.
However, the vif interface isn't added to the specified bridge. If I add
it to the bridge by hand it works. How can I make it automatic (like in
dom0)?

Regards,
Slapic

RE: using domu as network backend

Ian Pratt
> Thanx. Textual name works fine, the vif interface is created
> in the right netif backend domain.
> However, the vif interface isn't added to the specified
> bridge. If I add it to the bridge by hand it works. How can I
> make it automatic (like in dom0)?

That's a problem right now: we need to execute the vif-bridge script in another domain. Once we have hotplug or rtnetlink events plumbed through we should be able to solve this.

[I think (hope :-) Jeremy might be working on part of this.]

Ian

2005-05-29, v keltezéssel 22.10-kor Ian Pratt ezt írta:
> > Thanx. Textual name works fine, the vif interface is created
> > in the right netif backend domain.
> > However, the vif interface isn't added to the specified
> > bridge. If I add it to the bridge by hand it works. How can I
> > make it automatic (like in dom0)?
>
> That's a problem right now: we need to execute the vif-bridge script in another domain. Once we have hotplug or rtnetlink events plumbed through we should be able to solve this.

Do you plan it in the 2.x series in the near future?

Regards,
Slapic