Scheduling questions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Scheduling questions

Michael Heyse
Hi,

where can I find some information about how xen-3's schedulers work and
their parameters? The default setup completely locks up all domU domains
on my machine (VIA Nehemiah EPIA board) whenever the dom0 domain is
doing CPU/IO-intensive stuff, and the only solution I found so far is to
adjust the weight of each domain (eg xm sched-sedf <domID> 0 0 0 0 1 for
each domain) but this seems to be a waste of CPU capacity.

I read

sedf_scheduler_mini-HOWTO.txt
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/Scheduling
man xm

but none of them give enough information for me to know what to do. I'd
apprechiate any pointers.

Thanks,
Michael

_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Scheduling questions

Tim Freeman
On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 18:48:40 +0100
Michael Heyse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> where can I find some information about how xen-3's schedulers work and
> their parameters? The default setup completely locks up all domU domains
> on my machine (VIA Nehemiah EPIA board) whenever the dom0 domain is
> doing CPU/IO-intensive stuff, and the only solution I found so far is to
> adjust the weight of each domain (eg xm sched-sedf <domID> 0 0 0 0 1 for
> each domain) but this seems to be a waste of CPU capacity.

The second to last parameter is an extra_time flag that allows a domain to use
extra CPU time if it is available.  Change that to '1' to allow domains to use
any idle CPU during the scheduling period (you must do so from dom0 as well).

Tim



>
> I read
>
> sedf_scheduler_mini-HOWTO.txt
> http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/Scheduling
> man xm
>
> but none of them give enough information for me to know what to do. I'd
> apprechiate any pointers.
>
> Thanks,
> Michael
>
> _______________________________________________
> Xen-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users
>

_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Scheduling questions

Tim Freeman
On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 12:31:12 -0600
Tim Freeman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 18:48:40 +0100
> Michael Heyse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > where can I find some information about how xen-3's schedulers work and
> > their parameters? The default setup completely locks up all domU domains
> > on my machine (VIA Nehemiah EPIA board) whenever the dom0 domain is
> > doing CPU/IO-intensive stuff, and the only solution I found so far is to
> > adjust the weight of each domain (eg xm sched-sedf <domID> 0 0 0 0 1 for
> > each domain) but this seems to be a waste of CPU capacity.
>
> The second to last parameter is an extra_time flag that allows a domain to use
> extra CPU time if it is available.  Change that to '1' to allow domains to use
> any idle CPU during the scheduling period (you must do so from dom0 as well).

Sorry, a typo, I meant "for dom0" not "from dom0" (although the change indeed
must be done from dom0).

Tim




_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Scheduling questions

Michael Heyse
Tim Freeman wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 12:31:12 -0600
> Tim Freeman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
>>On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 18:48:40 +0100
>>Michael Heyse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>where can I find some information about how xen-3's schedulers work and
>>>their parameters? The default setup completely locks up all domU domains
>>>on my machine (VIA Nehemiah EPIA board) whenever the dom0 domain is
>>>doing CPU/IO-intensive stuff, and the only solution I found so far is to
>>>adjust the weight of each domain (eg xm sched-sedf <domID> 0 0 0 0 1 for
>>>each domain) but this seems to be a waste of CPU capacity.
>>
>>The second to last parameter is an extra_time flag that allows a domain to use
>>extra CPU time if it is available.  Change that to '1' to allow domains to use
>>any idle CPU during the scheduling period (you must do so from dom0 as well).

Allright, thanks for the tipp, now it's working perfectly!

> Sorry, a typo, I meant "for dom0" not "from dom0" (although the change indeed
> must be done from dom0).

Thanks,
Michael

_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Scheduling questions

Michael Heyse
In reply to this post by Michael Heyse
Michael Heyse wrote:
> where can I find some information about how xen-3's schedulers work and
> their parameters?

One more question: Is it possible to specify scheduling parameters in a
config file or do you have to set them manually everytime a domain is
started?

Thanks,
Michael

_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Scheduling questions

Anand Gupta
On 1/11/06, Michael Heyse <[hidden email]> wrote:
One more question: Is it possible to specify scheduling parameters in a
config file or do you have to set them manually everytime a domain is
started?

My guess is it needs to be specified everytime its started since i haven't seen any option in config file to specify one. That said, it would be nice to have a setting inside the config file to specify these options. Someone please correct me if i am wrong.

--

regards,

Anand
_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users