The problem of max number of PV guests in ubuntu host

The problem of max number of PV guests in ubuntu host

zhiyong ye
Hi,
     What I want to do is concurrent running 64 paravirtualized guests on one physical machine and I can successful deploy 30 PV guests. But I'm experiencing problems when trying to deploy more than 30 PV guests. No error appear in console and no relevant messages in logs I found. I'm sure there are enough resources but DomU dies immediately after create.

Follow xl-guest log:
Waiting for domain ubuntu-pv-60 (domid 55) to die [pid 11873]
Domain 55 has shut down, reason code 3 0x3
Action for shutdown reason code 3 is destroy
Domain 55 needs to be cleaned up: destroying the domain
Done. Exiting now

Each guest config is the same as follow:
name = "ubuntu-pv-1"
bootloader = "pygrub"
memory = 256
vcpus = 1
vif = [ 'bridge=xenbr0' ]
disk = [ 'file:/home/ye/ubuntu-pv/ubuntu-pv-1/ubuntu-pv-1.img,xvda,rw' ]
pci_permissive = 1

 I'm running in Ubuntu 14 using Xen-4.6. I have tested in other machine using the same environment but encountering the same problem.

Re: The problem of max number of PV guests in ubuntu host

andy smith-10
Hi,

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 09:16:56PM +0800, zhiyong ye wrote:
> I'm experiencing problems when trying to deploy more than 30 PV
> guests. No error appear in console and no relevant messages in
> logs I found.

I'm not likely to be able to work out what is wrong, but I think
first thing you will be asked is for output of "xl create -vvv", and
also if anything useful appears in "xl dmesg".

>  I'm running in Ubuntu 14 using Xen-4.6. I have tested in other machine
> using the same environment but encountering the same problem.

FWIW on Debian 8 with Xen 4.4 and lately a backported Xen 4.8 I am
running 70+ PV guests without issue. (Other than that the
initscripts xendomains etc aren't really up to this).

Cheers,
Andy

Re: The problem of max number of PV guests in ubuntu host

Sarah Newman
On 01/31/2018 05:16 AM, zhiyong ye wrote:

> Hi,
>      What I want to do is concurrent running 64 paravirtualized guests on
> one physical machine and I can successful deploy 30 PV guests. But I'm
> experiencing problems when trying to deploy more than 30 PV guests. No
> error appear in console and no relevant messages in logs I found. I'm sure
> there are enough resources but DomU dies immediately after create.
>
> Follow xl-guest log:
>
>> Waiting for domain ubuntu-pv-60 (domid 55) to die [pid 11873]
>> Domain 55 has shut down, reason code 3 0x3
>> Action for shutdown reason code 3 is destroy
>> Domain 55 needs to be cleaned up: destroying the domain
>> Done. Exiting now
>

> Each guest config is the same as follow:

That can't be true because you can't have identical names for a guest. So I'm going to assume you're incrementing the number on both the name and the
disk.

>> name = "ubuntu-pv-1"
>> bootloader = "pygrub"
>> memory = 256
>> vcpus = 1
>> vif = [ 'bridge=xenbr0' ]
>> disk = [ 'file:/home/ye/ubuntu-pv/ubuntu-pv-1/ubuntu-pv-1.img,xvda,rw' ]
>> pci_permissive = 1
>

>  I'm running in Ubuntu 14 using Xen-4.6. I have tested in other machine
> using the same environment but encountering the same problem.

Have you attempted any process of elimination to isolate the issue? There are 7 lines in that config file, 4 of which can reasonably be changed or
removed.

--Sarah