Ubuntu 16.04 Failed after Xen Install

Amelye Chatila
Hello,

I have installed Xen on Ubuntu 16.04 Server then after reboot the system can't go up again.

I was following this tutorial Xen Tutorial

$ sudo apt-get install xen-hypervisor-amd64

$ sudo reboot

Thank you for the help.

Regards,

Chatila, Amelye | Software Developer

Re: Ubuntu 16.04 Failed after Xen Install

Ulf Volmer
On 12.04.2018 07:47, Amelye Chatila wrote:

> I have installed Xen on Ubuntu 16.04 Server then after reboot the system
> can't go up again.
>
> I was following this tutorial Xen Tutorial
> <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Xen>
>
> $ sudo apt-get install xen-hypervisor-amd64
>
> $ sudo reboot

difficult for the audience to help you without any information about
your hardware and without any error messages.

i remembered some issues with some chip sets and EFI systems on ubuntu
xen. but this is some time ago, currently i have no ubuntu with xen running.

best regards
Ulf

Re: Ubuntu 16.04 Failed after Xen Install

Amelye Chatila
I am running it on Proliant DL380 Gen10. There is no error message it just keep on restarting.

If I install CentOS 7 as first OS will that be a best alternative?

Regards,

Chatila, Amelye | Software Developer

Mobile: +255 765 154 235 | Whatsapp Only: +255 653 258 608

Skype ID: amelye.chatila1

On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 12:33 AM, Ulf Volmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 12.04.2018 07:47, Amelye Chatila wrote:

> I have installed Xen on Ubuntu 16.04 Server then after reboot the system
> can't go up again.
>
> I was following this tutorial Xen Tutorial
> <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Xen>
>
> $ sudo apt-get install xen-hypervisor-amd64
>
> $ sudo reboot

difficult for the audience to help you without any information about
your hardware and without any error messages.

i remembered some issues with some chip sets and EFI systems on ubuntu
xen. but this is some time ago, currently i have no ubuntu with xen running.

best regards
Ulf

Re: Ubuntu 16.04 Failed after Xen Install

Amelye Chatila
Hello,

Planning to use CentOS 7 instead, any comment?

I appreciate your advice!

On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 9:14 AM, Amelye Chatila <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am running it on Proliant DL380 Gen10. There is no error message it just keep on restarting.

If I install CentOS 7 as first OS will that be a best alternative?

Regards,

Chatila, Amelye | Software Developer

Mobile: +255 765 154 235 | Whatsapp Only: +255 653 258 608

Skype ID: amelye.chatila1

On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 12:33 AM, Ulf Volmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 12.04.2018 07:47, Amelye Chatila wrote:

> I have installed Xen on Ubuntu 16.04 Server then after reboot the system
> can't go up again.
>
> I was following this tutorial Xen Tutorial
> <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Xen>
>
> $ sudo apt-get install xen-hypervisor-amd64
>
> $ sudo reboot

difficult for the audience to help you without any information about
your hardware and without any error messages.

i remembered some issues with some chip sets and EFI systems on ubuntu
xen. but this is some time ago, currently i have no ubuntu with xen running.

best regards
Ulf

Re: Ubuntu 16.04 Failed after Xen Install

Linus van Geuns
On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 2:15 PM, Amelye Chatila <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>

> Planning to use CentOS 7 instead, any comment?
>
> I appreciate your advice!

Before you wipe the disks and install another OS, you should take a
look at Xen "command line option":
https://xenbits.xen.org/docs/unstable/misc/xen-command-line.html

You could interrupt the boot process during the grub boot menu and set
the following "command line option" (boot argument) for the xen
hypervisor to stop it from rebooting on error:
noreboot=true

This should enable you to catch any error messages from Xen.
Since it should stop Xen from automatically rebooting on errors, take
care that you have physical/KVM/BMC access to the system since it
should freeze with Xen console access only (no network intefaces
initialized at that point).

Gruß, Linus