Using the Xen GPLPV drivers

Matthew Hook
There seems to be an outdated page to use PV drivers here:

I'd be great if that could be updated.

After installing the PV drivers in windows I didn't notice any difference in performance at all.  Windows says the drivers are working.
Some more searching and reading and it appears that I do actually need to make some changes to my windows config file.

So, I changed my disk line from:
  disk = [ 'tap2:tapdisk:aio:/home/xen/xenwin7.img,hda,w']
to:
  disk = [ 'tap2:tapdisk:aio:/home/xen/xenwin7.img,xvda,w' ]

According to the windows experience index disk performance is now several points better!

I've also changed the line:
   vif = [ 'type=ioemu, bridge=xenbr0' ]
   vif = [ '' ]

Is this all I need to do to fully enable PV drivers?

Re: Using the Xen GPLPV drivers

Pasi Kärkkäinen
On Mon, Sep 05, 2011 at 09:47:45PM +1200, Matthew Hook wrote:
>    There seems to be an outdated page to use PV drivers here:
>    [1]http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenWindowsGplPv
>    I'd be great if that could be updated.

Feel free to update the wiki page!

>    After installing the PV drivers in windows I didn't notice any difference
>    in performance at all.  Windows says the drivers are working.
>    Some more searching and reading and it appears that I do actually need to
>    make some changes to my windows config file.
>    So, I changed my disk line from:
>      disk = [ 'tap2:tapdisk:aio:/home/xen/xenwin7.img,hda,w']
>    to:
>      disk = [ 'tap2:tapdisk:aio:/home/xen/xenwin7.img,xvda,w' ]
>    According to the windows experience index disk performance is now several
>    points better!

Good!

>    I've also changed the line:
>       vif = [ 'type=ioemu, bridge=xenbr0' ]
>       vif = [ '' ]
>    Is this all I need to do to fully enable PV drivers?

You should always the the MAC specified on the vif line..

-- Pasi

Re: Using the Xen GPLPV drivers

Matthew Hook
I'd be happy to update the wiki page for GPLPV.  I've created an account but the page says it is immutable.
How do I get enough access to modify that page?

Also, can you provide more info about the vif = line in regards to PV drivers.
Are you saying I actually need to put in a mac address like this?
(e.g. vif = ['mac=aa:00:00:00:00:11'])

As I understand it, that's only useful for DHCP so that you get the same IP address.  Surely that won't stop the PV drivers from operating?

If someone could point me to information regarding virtual networks and PV drivers I'd be happy to put that in there. What's really not clear to me is
how the PV drivers and the vif line interact (if at all).

On 8 September 2011 06:21, Pasi Kärkkäinen <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Sep 05, 2011 at 09:47:45PM +1200, Matthew Hook wrote:
>    There seems to be an outdated page to use PV drivers here:
>    [1]http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenWindowsGplPv
>    I'd be great if that could be updated.

Feel free to update the wiki page!

>    After installing the PV drivers in windows I didn't notice any difference
>    in performance at all.  Windows says the drivers are working.
>    Some more searching and reading and it appears that I do actually need to
>    make some changes to my windows config file.
>    So, I changed my disk line from:
>      disk = [ 'tap2:tapdisk:aio:/home/xen/xenwin7.img,hda,w']
>    to:
>      disk = [ 'tap2:tapdisk:aio:/home/xen/xenwin7.img,xvda,w' ]
>    According to the windows experience index disk performance is now several
>    points better!

Good!

>    I've also changed the line:
>       vif = [ 'type=ioemu, bridge=xenbr0' ]
>       vif = [ '' ]
>    Is this all I need to do to fully enable PV drivers?

You should always the the MAC specified on the vif line..

-- Pasi

Re: Using the Xen GPLPV drivers

alxgomz

Le 09/09/2011 00:53, Matthew Hook a écrit :

> I'd be happy to update the wiki page for GPLPV.  I've created an
> account but the page says it is immutable.
> How do I get enough access to modify that page?
>
> Also, can you provide more info about the vif = line in regards to PV
> drivers.
> Are you saying I actually need to put in a mac address like this?
> (e.g. vif = ['mac=aa:00:00:00:00:11'])
>
> As I understand it, that's only useful for DHCP so that you get the
> same IP address.  Surely that won't stop the PV drivers from operating?

Even with static ip configuration, It is good too specify mac addr in
regard to udev enabled dsiributions. If mac is not specified you 'll end
up with a different mac address at each boot boot and udev will then
create a new NIC each time, your entwork card being eth0, then eth1,
then eth2 and so on...

--
<http://www.horoa.net>

Alexandre Chapellon

Ingénierie des systèmes open sources et réseaux.
Follow me on twitter: @alxgomz <http://www.twitter.com/alxgomz>

a_chapellon.vcf (388 bytes) Download Attachment

RE: Using the Xen GPLPV drivers

James Harper

> Le 09/09/2011 00:53, Matthew Hook a écrit :
> > I'd be happy to update the wiki page for GPLPV.  I've created an
> > account but the page says it is immutable.
> > How do I get enough access to modify that page?
> >
> > Also, can you provide more info about the vif = line in regards to PV
> > drivers.
> > Are you saying I actually need to put in a mac address like this?
> > (e.g. vif = ['mac=aa:00:00:00:00:11'])
> >
> > As I understand it, that's only useful for DHCP so that you get the
> > same IP address.  Surely that won't stop the PV drivers from operating?
> >
> Even with static ip configuration, It is good too specify mac addr in
> regard to udev enabled dsiributions. If mac is not specified you 'll end
> up with a different mac address at each boot boot and udev will then
> create a new NIC each time, your entwork card being eth0, then eth1,
> then eth2 and so on...

If the DomU was windows then you might need to re-activate if anything else changes too.

James

points better!
With pv need change hdx to xvxdx for better performance? for now i always keep hdx on hvm domus (windows) also with pv

Re: Using the Xen GPLPV drivers

Andrew Bobulsky
Hello Matthew,

I've been trying to do the same thing, but my DomU guests (Windows 7
x64) have GPUs passed through to them.  For some reason, I was able to
narrow down the USB PV driver from the GPLPV set was causing my
machines to BSOD during boot with a 7E.  Not really sure why, but I
found an older post by the developer on the list saying something
about how GPLPV USB wasn't very complete yet.

I tried instead on a different guest to use the XCP PV drivers... but
installing those caused a similar problem, though I can't remember
precisely what.  It has been a few days since I last hacked away at it
;)

Out of curiosity, have you gotten USB PV to work?  Did you install
*all* of the PV drivers, or just the PCI, disk, and NIC drivers?

Still, glad to hear a more recent report of success with them!  I'll
be back hacking away at it tonight.  I'll have my quad-head gaming box
purring like a kitten someday, even if I have to tear my hair out for
a few more weeks =)

Cheers,
Andrew Bobulsky