VGA Passthrough with Xen 4.3 and Qemu 1.7 on Debian Jessie

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

VGA Passthrough with Xen 4.3 and Qemu 1.7 on Debian Jessie

Volker Klasen
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Hello,

the short version: I can't get VGA passthrough working with Xen 4.3
and Qemu 1.7. The VM won't even display a bios screen.

The long version: after successfully running Windows 7 64bit with a
passthrough'd Radeon HD 7870 about 1.5 years with Xen 4.1
(xm/qemu-dm), I decided it was time to upgrade to Jessie's current Xen
packages (4.3).

Unexpectedly, I came across several issues related to switching from
xm to xl and from qemu-dm to qemu, as well as non-functional VGA
passthrough. I found 2 setups that at least would start the VM:

1) Using qemu-dm from Wheezy packages xen-utils-4.1
In this setup I can pass through all 4 PCI devices (USB controller,
VGA card, HDMI audio and audio card), however, none is working. For
the audio card error 10 is reported, for the graphics card error 43.

2) Using qemu
In this setup PCI passthrough works as long as I do not passthrough my
VGA card (the other three are working without problems). As soon as I
passthrough the graphics card, the VM won't even startup at all (vnc
is running but no bios is displayed, only black screen); the logs are
empty, as well (the only line is "Waiting for domain ..." in
/var/log/xen/xl-domain.log).

I tried setting and unsetting the pci_* options in the domain config
file but I had no luck. Here's my current config (left some unrelated
things out) set up for 2) with VGA passthrough (01:00.0):

# qemu
device_model_version="qemu-xen"
device_model_override = '/usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64'
# qemu-dm
#device_model_version="qemu-xen-traditional"
#device_model_override = '/usr/lib/xen-4.1/bin/qemu-dm'

builder = 'hvm'
viridian = 1
vga = 'stdvga'
pci_msitranslate = 0

#pci = ['0000:00:1d.0','0000:01:00.1','0000:04:04.0']
pci = ['0000:00:1d.0','0000:01:00.0','0000:01:00.1','0000:04:04.0']


Has anyone an idea what I could try?

Thanks,
Volker
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.15 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Icedove - http://www.enigmail.net/

iEYEARECAAYFAlKkbRMACgkQgKD4KXUzSri9vQCgs5mf+tRxONXsP7Mmsc8OWW+e
qmgAnRrlDZHv7CUihp8ekWl7CN2zxw51
=bLW7
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xen.org/xen-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: VGA Passthrough with Xen 4.3 and Qemu 1.7 on Debian Jessie

Casey DeLorme
Hello Volker,

Can you supply more information about the system.  There are many possibilities, so it'll be hard to narrow it down with only what you have provided.

- What does the domu.cfg look like (complete copy)
- Can you supply your kernel config
- Any notable hardware (eg. motherboard?)
- run `xl -vvv create` and attach the output


I have been using Xen 4.3 and 4.4 on Wheezy for some time now, but I have not yet tried with Jessie.  Off the top of my head, three possibilities stand out.  Could be a syntax error in your domu.cfg (review the latest man pages: http://xenbits.xen.org/docs/4.3-testing/man/xl.cfg.5.html).  I still build pciback into my kernels as I have never had good luck with late device binding even with though the xl toolstack should do so; is pciback compiled into the kernel and your devices hidden by grub, or are you relying on late binding?  There have been problems with larger amounts of memory.  Have you tried dropping to 1~2 GB of ram in your config (yes I am aware that it is a very small amount for Windows to run well on, maybe try it just to confirm possible causes)?

Send us more info.

Cheers,

Casey


On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 7:58 AM, Volker Klasen <[hidden email]> wrote:
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Hello,

the short version: I can't get VGA passthrough working with Xen 4.3
and Qemu 1.7. The VM won't even display a bios screen.

The long version: after successfully running Windows 7 64bit with a
passthrough'd Radeon HD 7870 about 1.5 years with Xen 4.1
(xm/qemu-dm), I decided it was time to upgrade to Jessie's current Xen
packages (4.3).

Unexpectedly, I came across several issues related to switching from
xm to xl and from qemu-dm to qemu, as well as non-functional VGA
passthrough. I found 2 setups that at least would start the VM:

1) Using qemu-dm from Wheezy packages xen-utils-4.1
In this setup I can pass through all 4 PCI devices (USB controller,
VGA card, HDMI audio and audio card), however, none is working. For
the audio card error 10 is reported, for the graphics card error 43.

2) Using qemu
In this setup PCI passthrough works as long as I do not passthrough my
VGA card (the other three are working without problems). As soon as I
passthrough the graphics card, the VM won't even startup at all (vnc
is running but no bios is displayed, only black screen); the logs are
empty, as well (the only line is "Waiting for domain ..." in
/var/log/xen/xl-domain.log).

I tried setting and unsetting the pci_* options in the domain config
file but I had no luck. Here's my current config (left some unrelated
things out) set up for 2) with VGA passthrough (01:00.0):

# qemu
device_model_version="qemu-xen"
device_model_override = '/usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64'
# qemu-dm
#device_model_version="qemu-xen-traditional"
#device_model_override = '/usr/lib/xen-4.1/bin/qemu-dm'

builder = 'hvm'
viridian = 1
vga = 'stdvga'
pci_msitranslate = 0

#pci = ['0000:00:1d.0','0000:01:00.1','0000:04:04.0']
pci = ['0000:00:1d.0','0000:01:00.0','0000:01:00.1','0000:04:04.0']


Has anyone an idea what I could try?

Thanks,
Volker
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.15 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Icedove - http://www.enigmail.net/

iEYEARECAAYFAlKkbRMACgkQgKD4KXUzSri9vQCgs5mf+tRxONXsP7Mmsc8OWW+e
qmgAnRrlDZHv7CUihp8ekWl7CN2zxw51
=bLW7
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xen.org/xen-users


_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xen.org/xen-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: VGA Passthrough with Xen 4.3 and Qemu 1.7 on Debian Jessie

Volker Klasen
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Hi Casey,

> Can you supply more information about the system.  There are many
> possibilities, so it'll be hard to narrow it down with only what
> you have provided.

I'll do:

> - What does the domu.cfg look like (complete copy)

I just did a new test without any disks so we can discard the guest OS
as the cause. With my graphics card (0000:01:00.0) passed through the
BIOS is not displayed; without (0000:01:00.1 is the HDMI device of the
graphics card) it is and says that it cannot find anything to boot.
Here's the complete config for those tests:

name = 'test'
builder = 'hvm'
device_model_version = 'qemu-xen'
device_model_override = '/usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64'
memory = 2048
# working
#pci = ['0000:01:00.1']
# not working
pci = ['0000:01:00.1','0000:01:00.0']

And here's the output from xl pci-assignable-list:

0000:00:1d.0
0000:01:00.0
0000:01:00.1
0000:04:04.0

> - Can you supply your kernel config

see attachments (current Jessie kernel), pciback is a module and binds
the devices at initramfs time via /etc/modprobe.d/:

options xen-pciback
hide=(0000:00:1d.0)(0000:01:00.0)(0000:01:00.1)(0000:04:04.0)
install ehci_hcd /sbin/modprobe xen-pciback; /sbin/modprobe
- --first-time --ignore-install ehci_hcd
install radeon /sbin/modprobe xen-pciback; /sbin/modprobe --first-time
- --ignore-install radeon
install snd_hda_intel /sbin/modprobe xen-pciback; /sbin/modprobe
- --first-time --ignore-install snd_hda_intel
install snd_virtuoso /sbin/modprobe xen-pciback; /sbin/modprobe
- --first-time --ignore-install snd_virtuoso

> - Any notable hardware (eg. motherboard?)

MSI Z77A-GD65, i7 3770 (non-k), Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition

The hardware worked 18 month with VGA passthrough, so I would exclude
it as cause, as well.

> - run `xl -vvv create` and attach the output

I attached the output from both test runs (with and w/o vga
passthrough) and the cleaned diff (there were different memory
addresses and domain ids)

> I have been using Xen 4.3 and 4.4 on Wheezy for some time now, but
> I have not yet tried with Jessie.  Off the top of my head, three
> possibilities stand out.  Could be a syntax error in your domu.cfg
> (review the latest man pages:
> http://xenbits.xen.org/docs/4.3-testing/man/xl.cfg.5.html).  I
> still build pciback into my kernels as I have never had good luck
> with late device binding even with though the xl toolstack should
> do so; is pciback compiled into the kernel and your devices hidden
> by grub, or are you relying on late binding?  There have been
> problems with larger amounts of memory.  Have you tried dropping to
> 1~2 GB of ram in your config (yes I am aware that it is a very
> small amount for Windows to run well on, maybe try it just to
> confirm possible causes)?
I dropped the allocated RAM to 2GB, but no difference.

> Send us more info.

Hopefully, the info I now provided is more helpful.

Cheers,
Volker



> On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 7:58 AM, Volker Klasen
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> the short version: I can't get VGA passthrough working with Xen
> 4.3 and Qemu 1.7. The VM won't even display a bios screen.
>
> The long version: after successfully running Windows 7 64bit with
> a passthrough'd Radeon HD 7870 about 1.5 years with Xen 4.1
> (xm/qemu-dm), I decided it was time to upgrade to Jessie's current
> Xen packages (4.3).
>
> Unexpectedly, I came across several issues related to switching
> from xm to xl and from qemu-dm to qemu, as well as non-functional
> VGA passthrough. I found 2 setups that at least would start the
> VM:
>
> 1) Using qemu-dm from Wheezy packages xen-utils-4.1 In this setup I
> can pass through all 4 PCI devices (USB controller, VGA card, HDMI
> audio and audio card), however, none is working. For the audio card
> error 10 is reported, for the graphics card error 43.
>
> 2) Using qemu In this setup PCI passthrough works as long as I do
> not passthrough my VGA card (the other three are working without
> problems). As soon as I passthrough the graphics card, the VM won't
> even startup at all (vnc is running but no bios is displayed, only
> black screen); the logs are empty, as well (the only line is
> "Waiting for domain ..." in /var/log/xen/xl-domain.log).
>
> I tried setting and unsetting the pci_* options in the domain
> config file but I had no luck. Here's my current config (left some
> unrelated things out) set up for 2) with VGA passthrough
> (01:00.0):
>
> # qemu device_model_version="qemu-xen" device_model_override =
> '/usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64' # qemu-dm
> #device_model_version="qemu-xen-traditional" #device_model_override
> = '/usr/lib/xen-4.1/bin/qemu-dm'
>
> builder = 'hvm' viridian = 1 vga = 'stdvga' pci_msitranslate = 0
>
> #pci = ['0000:00:1d.0','0000:01:00.1','0000:04:04.0'] pci =
> ['0000:00:1d.0','0000:01:00.0','0000:01:00.1','0000:04:04.0']
>
>
> Has anyone an idea what I could try?
>
> Thanks, Volker
>>
>> _______________________________________________ Xen-users mailing
>> list [hidden email] http://lists.xen.org/xen-users
>>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________ Xen-users mailing
> list [hidden email] http://lists.xen.org/xen-users
>
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.15 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Icedove - http://www.enigmail.net/

iEYEARECAAYFAlKkq0UACgkQgKD4KXUzSri9xwCgkDbPIZ3j5Ks1gxOllEmNM2p8
5JAAoIekcrJvY/O5j2OmgWI0jNtqPX2T
=1A0F
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xen.org/xen-users

config-3.11-2-amd64.gz (49K) Download Attachment
xlcreate.txt (8K) Download Attachment
xlcreatediff.txt (1K) Download Attachment
xlcreatevga.txt (9K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: VGA Passthrough with Xen 4.3 and Qemu 1.7 on Debian Jessie

Casey DeLorme
On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 12:24 PM, Volker Klasen <[hidden email]> wrote:
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Hi Casey,

> Can you supply more information about the system.  There are many
> possibilities, so it'll be hard to narrow it down with only what
> you have provided.

I'll do:

> - What does the domu.cfg look like (complete copy)

I just did a new test without any disks so we can discard the guest OS
as the cause. With my graphics card (0000:01:00.0) passed through the
BIOS is not displayed; without (0000:01:00.1 is the HDMI device of the
graphics card) it is and says that it cannot find anything to boot.
Here's the complete config for those tests:


You should have a disk
 
name = 'test'
builder = 'hvm'
device_model_version = 'qemu-xen'
device_model_override = '/usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64'
memory = 2048
# working
#pci = ['0000:01:00.1']
# not working
pci = ['0000:01:00.1','0000:01:00.0']

The default qemu in 4.3 should be upstream, but a lot of people have had better luck with traditional for higher memory (myself included).

Is there a reason you are overriding the qemu device model?  AFAIK this is not a needed step, it should be able to get that by default.

 
And here's the output from xl pci-assignable-list:

0000:00:1d.0
0000:01:00.0
0000:01:00.1
0000:04:04.0

So your kernel/grub is binding them to pciback.  That works for me.
 
> - Can you supply your kernel config

see attachments (current Jessie kernel), pciback is a module and binds
the devices at initramfs time via /etc/modprobe.d/:

options xen-pciback
hide=(0000:00:1d.0)(0000:01:00.0)(0000:01:00.1)(0000:04:04.0)
install ehci_hcd /sbin/modprobe xen-pciback; /sbin/modprobe
- --first-time --ignore-install ehci_hcd
install radeon /sbin/modprobe xen-pciback; /sbin/modprobe --first-time
- --ignore-install radeon
install snd_hda_intel /sbin/modprobe xen-pciback; /sbin/modprobe
- --first-time --ignore-install snd_hda_intel
install snd_virtuoso /sbin/modprobe xen-pciback; /sbin/modprobe
- --first-time --ignore-install snd_virtuoso

> - Any notable hardware (eg. motherboard?)

MSI Z77A-GD65, i7 3770 (non-k), Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition

The hardware worked 18 month with VGA passthrough, so I would exclude
it as cause, as well.

I wouldn't entirely rule it out, were you using 4.1 on Jessie, or a previous debian?  The way hardware is addressed by the kernel may have changed, so knowing the model might help.
 
> - run `xl -vvv create` and attach the output

I attached the output from both test runs (with and w/o vga
passthrough) and the cleaned diff (there were different memory
addresses and domain ids)

> I have been using Xen 4.3 and 4.4 on Wheezy for some time now, but
> I have not yet tried with Jessie.  Off the top of my head, three
> possibilities stand out.  Could be a syntax error in your domu.cfg
> (review the latest man pages:
> http://xenbits.xen.org/docs/4.3-testing/man/xl.cfg.5.html).  I
> still build pciback into my kernels as I have never had good luck
> with late device binding even with though the xl toolstack should
> do so; is pciback compiled into the kernel and your devices hidden
> by grub, or are you relying on late binding?  There have been
> problems with larger amounts of memory.  Have you tried dropping to
> 1~2 GB of ram in your config (yes I am aware that it is a very
> small amount for Windows to run well on, maybe try it just to
> confirm possible causes)?

I dropped the allocated RAM to 2GB, but no difference.

> Send us more info.

Hopefully, the info I now provided is more helpful.

Cheers,
Volker


I don't see anything that stands out.  Your devices are bound to pciback, though the kernel config shows the backend drivers are as modules.  The xl output doesn't appear to explain the problem either.  Have you tried traditional without the override?



> On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 7:58 AM, Volker Klasen
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> the short version: I can't get VGA passthrough working with Xen
> 4.3 and Qemu 1.7. The VM won't even display a bios screen.
>
> The long version: after successfully running Windows 7 64bit with
> a passthrough'd Radeon HD 7870 about 1.5 years with Xen 4.1
> (xm/qemu-dm), I decided it was time to upgrade to Jessie's current
> Xen packages (4.3).
>
> Unexpectedly, I came across several issues related to switching
> from xm to xl and from qemu-dm to qemu, as well as non-functional
> VGA passthrough. I found 2 setups that at least would start the
> VM:
>
> 1) Using qemu-dm from Wheezy packages xen-utils-4.1 In this setup I
> can pass through all 4 PCI devices (USB controller, VGA card, HDMI
> audio and audio card), however, none is working. For the audio card
> error 10 is reported, for the graphics card error 43.
>
> 2) Using qemu In this setup PCI passthrough works as long as I do
> not passthrough my VGA card (the other three are working without
> problems). As soon as I passthrough the graphics card, the VM won't
> even startup at all (vnc is running but no bios is displayed, only
> black screen); the logs are empty, as well (the only line is
> "Waiting for domain ..." in /var/log/xen/xl-domain.log).
>
> I tried setting and unsetting the pci_* options in the domain
> config file but I had no luck. Here's my current config (left some
> unrelated things out) set up for 2) with VGA passthrough
> (01:00.0):
>
> # qemu device_model_version="qemu-xen" device_model_override =
> '/usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64' # qemu-dm
> #device_model_version="qemu-xen-traditional" #device_model_override
> = '/usr/lib/xen-4.1/bin/qemu-dm'
>
> builder = 'hvm' viridian = 1 vga = 'stdvga' pci_msitranslate = 0
>
> #pci = ['0000:00:1d.0','0000:01:00.1','0000:04:04.0'] pci =
> ['0000:00:1d.0','0000:01:00.0','0000:01:00.1','0000:04:04.0']
>
>
> Has anyone an idea what I could try?
>
> Thanks, Volker
>>
>> _______________________________________________ Xen-users mailing
>> list [hidden email] http://lists.xen.org/xen-users
>>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________ Xen-users mailing
> list [hidden email] http://lists.xen.org/xen-users
>

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.15 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Icedove - http://www.enigmail.net/

iEYEARECAAYFAlKkq0UACgkQgKD4KXUzSri9xwCgkDbPIZ3j5Ks1gxOllEmNM2p8
5JAAoIekcrJvY/O5j2OmgWI0jNtqPX2T
=1A0F
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xen.org/xen-users


_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xen.org/xen-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: VGA Passthrough with Xen 4.3 and Qemu 1.7 on Debian Jessie

Volker Klasen
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Hey,

>> You should have a disk

no need, as the bios is not started and thus no disk is being accessed
(or tried to).


> The default qemu in 4.3 should be upstream, but a lot of people
> have had better luck with traditional for higher memory (myself
> included).

>> Is there a reason you are overriding the qemu device model?
>> AFAIK this is not a needed step, it should be able to get that by
>> default.

If I don't use any device_model overrides, I'll get this error:

libxl: error: libxl_dm.c:1142:libxl__spawn_local_dm: device model
/usr/lib/xen-4.3/bin/qemu-dm is not executable: No such file or directory

Qemu isn't shipped anymore with Debian or Xen itself since 4.2 [1]

> The hardware worked 18 month with VGA passthrough, so I would
> exclude it as cause, as well.
>
> I wouldn't entirely rule it out, were you using 4.1 on Jessie, or
> a
>> previous debian?  The way hardware is addressed by the kernel may
>> have changed, so knowing the model might help.

I did no kernel upgrade when updating Xen, just Xen (and some
unrelated stuff), just checked my dpkg.log

>> I don't see anything that stands out.  Your devices are bound to
>> pciback, though the kernel config shows the backend drivers are
>> as modules.  The xl output doesn't appear to explain the problem
>> either.  Have you tried traditional without the override?

I tried traditional with qemu-dm from xen-utils 4.1 (cf. above) and I
can get Windows to boot but all devices I passed through are not
working (errors 10 and 43, cf. my original post)

Cheers,
Volker

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=688311
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.15 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Icedove - http://www.enigmail.net/

iEYEARECAAYFAlKkuxsACgkQgKD4KXUzSriBqgCghvAIc2Wr3j/IdRh0aAnAvtCM
47MAoLT1EKDELNYK0pMCOGso4YVpZtWN
=FU0t
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xen.org/xen-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: VGA Passthrough with Xen 4.3 and Qemu 1.7 on Debian Jessie

Casey DeLorme

>> You should have a disk

no need, as the bios is not started and thus no disk is being accessed
(or tried to).

My mistake, you are right.  I tested but forgot to remove that sentence from my reply.
 

> The default qemu in 4.3 should be upstream, but a lot of people
> have had better luck with traditional for higher memory (myself
> included).

>> Is there a reason you are overriding the qemu device model?
>> AFAIK this is not a needed step, it should be able to get that by
>> default.

If I don't use any device_model overrides, I'll get this error:

libxl: error: libxl_dm.c:1142:libxl__spawn_local_dm: device model
/usr/lib/xen-4.3/bin/qemu-dm is not executable: No such file or directory

Qemu isn't shipped anymore with Debian or Xen itself since 4.2 [1]

That may be the problem then.  I built xen from source, which builds qemu.  I would recommend building from source instead.  Jessie is in testing, so it's not uncommon for packages to be incomplete or misconfigured.

> The hardware worked 18 month with VGA passthrough, so I would
> exclude it as cause, as well.
>
> I wouldn't entirely rule it out, were you using 4.1 on Jessie, or
> a
>> previous debian?  The way hardware is addressed by the kernel may
>> have changed, so knowing the model might help.

I did no kernel upgrade when updating Xen, just Xen (and some
unrelated stuff), just checked my dpkg.log

Yes, the default kernel has them set as modules.  I build a kernel for xen, with all related flags set to on.  Supposedly you can do this easily to the existing kernel with `mkinitramfs`, but I have never tried that method.

The fact that your devices are bound to pciback would suggest that things are working fine though.
 
>> I don't see anything that stands out.  Your devices are bound to
>> pciback, though the kernel config shows the backend drivers are
>> as modules.  The xl output doesn't appear to explain the problem
>> either.  Have you tried traditional without the override?

I tried traditional with qemu-dm from xen-utils 4.1 (cf. above) and I
can get Windows to boot but all devices I passed through are not
working (errors 10 and 43, cf. my original post)

Yeah, 4.1 to 4.3 is a major jump.  The code that lets xen interface with the custom qemu has changed, I'm more surprised that it loaded than that it didn't load pci devices.

I would remove the xen packages and try building it from source.  At least until Jessie gets closer to a stable release.

_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xen.org/xen-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: VGA Passthrough with Xen 4.3 and Qemu 1.7 on Debian Jessie

Volker Klasen
In reply to this post by Volker Klasen
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Hey there,

as Casey suggested (thank you!) I built qemu-dm from the xen sources
and now VGA passthrough is working again. It seems that there is still
something missing in qemu upstream.

Here's the small test example which now works fine (without
device_model_override as I installed qemu-dm in the right place):

name = 'test'
builder = 'hvm'
memory = 2048
pci = ['0000:01:00.1','0000:01:00.0']

I used the debian sources from Jessie and pbuilder to build xen. I had
to modify some files in debian/ such that qemu-dm is built again; find
the patchable diff attached. I had to insert "sleep 1d" as building
the debian packages after compilation failed and pbuilder cleaned up
before I could get a hand on qemu-dm.

At the bottom are some lines to save, install and uninstall qemu-dm
after building.

Cheers,
Volker

### save built files
cd <build-dir>
mkdir /tmp/qemu-dm
cp debian/build/build-utils_amd64/tools/blktap/lib/libblktap.so.3.0.0
/tmp/qemu-dm/
cp
debian/build/build-utils_amd64/tools/qemu-xen-traditional-dir-remote/i386-dm/qemu-dm
/tmp/qemu-dm/
cp -r
debian/build/build-utils_amd64/tools/qemu-xen-traditional-dir-remote/keymaps
/tmp/qemu-dm/
cd /tmp/
tar czf ~/qemu-dm.tgz qemu-dm
rm -r qemu-dm

### install libblktap, qemu-dm and keymaps
cd /tmp
tar xf ~/qemu-dm.tgz
cp qemu-dm/libblktap.so.3.0.0 /usr/lib/
cp qemu-dm/qemu-dm /usr/lib/xen-4.3/bin/
mkdir -p /usr/share/xen/qemu/
cp -r qemu-dm/keymaps /usr/share/xen/qemu/
ldconfig
rm -r qemu-dm

### remove libblktap, qemu-dm and keymaps
rm -r /usr/lib/libblktap.so.3.* /usr/lib/xen-4.3/bin/qemu-dm
/usr/share/xen/qemu/keymaps
rmdir /usr/share/xen/qemu /usr/share/xen
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.15 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Icedove - http://www.enigmail.net/

iEYEARECAAYFAlKmIhgACgkQgKD4KXUzSrjRVACgwu6nh0rk8mfvpn8r0ZQa3OHi
PJcAnAvoCZag7j75fPORJRXyYfGWPxZa
=86/K
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xen.org/xen-users

build-qemu-dm.diff (5K) Download Attachment