VNC/VGA console stuck when not using 'quiet splash'

VNC/VGA console stuck when not using 'quiet splash'

Wiebe Cazemier
Hi,

I'm working on converting all my PVs to HVM (although that fact seems unrelated), and I'm having issues with VNC/VGA. When I VNC to it, I don't see anything after BIOS, except two lines, and I can't type (no agetty, even though ps axu says it runs on tty1).

See screen shot. This is taken with 'xl vncviewer'. If I connect with krdc over an SSH tunnel right after machine creation, I see the BIOS text, then it clears into garble, then after a while it clears and prints that last line.

If I change /etc/defaut/grub and remove 'quiet' and 'splash' from GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash", it works fine. But, that's only a work-around; I don't want my guests to be able to break VNC.

setting vga="stdvga" doesn't help.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Host Ubuntu: 14.04
Host Xen: 4.4.2-0ubuntu0.14.04.14
Host qemu-system-x86_64: 2.0.0 (Debian 2.0.0+dfsg-2ubuntu1.36)
Guest Ubuntu: 17.10

Regards,

Wiebe

xen-vnc.png (15K) Download Attachment

Re: VNC/VGA console stuck when not using 'quiet splash'

Wiebe Cazemier
> I'm working on converting all my PVs to HVM (although that fact seems
> unrelated), and I'm having issues with VNC/VGA. When I VNC to it, I don't see
> anything after BIOS, except two lines, and I can't type (no agetty, even though
> ps axu says it runs on tty1).
>
> See screen shot. This is taken with 'xl vncviewer'. If I connect with krdc over
> an SSH tunnel right after machine creation, I see the BIOS text, then it clears
> into garble, then after a while it clears and prints that last line.
>
> If I change /etc/defaut/grub and remove 'quiet' and 'splash' from
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash", it works fine. But, that's only a
> work-around; I don't want my guests to be able to break VNC.
>
> setting vga="stdvga" doesn't help.
>
> Does anyone know how to fix this?
>
> Host Ubuntu: 14.04
> Host Xen: 4.4.2-0ubuntu0.14.04.14
> Host qemu-system-x86_64: 2.0.0 (Debian 2.0.0+dfsg-2ubuntu1.36)
> Guest Ubuntu: 17.10
>
> Regards,
>
> Wiebe

xen-vnc-2.png (20K) Download Attachment