VNC tablet instead of a mouse?

Phil Susi
VNC has never been compatible with mouse acceleration.  In the past I
just ran xset m 00 to disable it, but apparently you can't turn this
damn feature off under Wayland.

I have heard that if you have the system emulate a tablet rather than a
mouse, the acceleration desync problem goes away, but I can not seem to
find an option in Xen to do that.  Is there one?

Re: VNC tablet instead of a mouse?

James Dingwall
On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 04:00:11PM -0400, Phil Susi wrote:
> VNC has never been compatible with mouse acceleration.  In the past I
> just ran xset m 00 to disable it, but apparently you can't turn this
> damn feature off under Wayland.
>
> I have heard that if you have the system emulate a tablet rather than a
> mouse, the acceleration desync problem goes away, but I can not seem to
> find an option in Xen to do that.  Is there one?

In the guest config the default is:

usbdevice = 'mouse'

switch to tablet:

usbdevice = 'tablet'

On 10/25/2017 4:25 PM, James Dingwall wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 04:00:11PM -0400, Phil Susi wrote:
>> VNC has never been compatible with mouse acceleration.  In the past I
>> just ran xset m 00 to disable it, but apparently you can't turn this
>> damn feature off under Wayland.
>>
>> I have heard that if you have the system emulate a tablet rather than a
>> mouse, the acceleration desync problem goes away, but I can not seem to
>> find an option in Xen to do that.  Is there one?
>
> In the guest config the default is:
>
> usbdevice = 'mouse'
>
> switch to tablet:
>
> usbdevice = 'tablet'

Are you sure?  These options sound like they are for passing through USB
devices from the host to the guest.  I don't have a real mouse or tablet
I want to pass to the guest; I just want the virtual one created by VNC
to be a tablet.

Re: VNC tablet instead of a mouse?

Michel D'HOOGE
> Are you sure?  These options sound like they are for passing through USB
> devices from the host to the guest.  I don't have a real mouse or tablet
> I want to pass to the guest; I just want the virtual one created by VNC
> to be a tablet.

This is indeed quite strange that emulating a real piece of HW helps VNC :-)

But this really works, at least when both the VNC Server (which is
attached to qemu) and the VNC client run on the same computer.

M.