VNC tablet instead of a mouse?

Phil Susi
VNC has never been compatible with mouse acceleration.  In the past I
just ran xset m 00 to disable it, but apparently you can't turn this
damn feature off under Wayland.

I have heard that if you have the system emulate a tablet rather than a
mouse, the acceleration desync problem goes away, but I can not seem to
find an option in Xen to do that.  Is there one?

Re: VNC tablet instead of a mouse?

James Dingwall
On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 04:00:11PM -0400, Phil Susi wrote:
> VNC has never been compatible with mouse acceleration.  In the past I
> just ran xset m 00 to disable it, but apparently you can't turn this
> damn feature off under Wayland.
>
> I have heard that if you have the system emulate a tablet rather than a
> mouse, the acceleration desync problem goes away, but I can not seem to
> find an option in Xen to do that.  Is there one?

In the guest config the default is:

usbdevice = 'mouse'

switch to tablet:

usbdevice = 'tablet'

On 10/25/2017 4:25 PM, James Dingwall wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 04:00:11PM -0400, Phil Susi wrote:
>> VNC has never been compatible with mouse acceleration.  In the past I
>> just ran xset m 00 to disable it, but apparently you can't turn this
>> damn feature off under Wayland.
>>
>> I have heard that if you have the system emulate a tablet rather than a
>> mouse, the acceleration desync problem goes away, but I can not seem to
>> find an option in Xen to do that.  Is there one?
>
> In the guest config the default is:
>
> usbdevice = 'mouse'
>
> switch to tablet:
>
> usbdevice = 'tablet'

Are you sure?  These options sound like they are for passing through USB
devices from the host to the guest.  I don't have a real mouse or tablet
I want to pass to the guest; I just want the virtual one created by VNC
to be a tablet.

Re: VNC tablet instead of a mouse?

Michel D'HOOGE
> Are you sure?  These options sound like they are for passing through USB
> devices from the host to the guest.  I don't have a real mouse or tablet
> I want to pass to the guest; I just want the virtual one created by VNC
> to be a tablet.

This is indeed quite strange that emulating a real piece of HW helps VNC :-)

But this really works, at least when both the VNC Server (which is
attached to qemu) and the VNC client run on the same computer.

M.

How to Configure Xen for Networking, System Use Case - NetVM

rayj
While the typical intent to have a vm for network interfaces is to isolate dom0 the network, my additional intent is to isolate dom0 from my tinkering with the network.  I have broken my dom0 beyond my repair many times.

I would like to determine how to build a VM for the network interfaces.  And how to establish networking to other VMs.  Additionally, are there any reasons to bring a network to dom0 now that it has been purposefully isolated from the outside (other than the mouse and keyboard).

What I have been having the biggest challenge with is that bridging cannot be used with wireless.
[Wireless base stations generally only allow packets with the source MAC address of NIC that completed the initial handshake.  Therefore, without MAC rewriting, only a single device can communicate over a single wireless link.]

The next solution I have tried is etables, which I have been unable to get working.
[https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_in_WiFi_networks]
My challenge here may be that I did not get the right configuration process.  I found bits of what the configuration should include but I did not find a step by step method.

I was wondering about using libvirt but looking into it, I see it requires building a bridge with bridge-utilities which seems in conflict with my need for a wireless front end.  Maybe the libvirt iptables provides a solution around the conflict but I don't see it.

The openvswitch seems to invoke a similar method as libvirt.

What should I be looking at to find an appropriate solution?

Ray