Which distro to use for Dom0

12

Which distro to use for Dom0

Donny Brooks
When I first started using Xen I was on Ubuntu 8.04 with the version of
Xen that shipped with it. Now here at work I have had to move to a
Centos based Dom0 due to the dell OMSA requirement of an rpm based os. I
have found good sources on how to install OMSA on just about any linux
distribution so I am now in the market for a new setup. Centos is fine
but I was wondering if there was something else out there that would be
better for the dom0.

All of my servers are Dell's and have 2 or 4 nics which I have and can
bond together and pass a trunk through. We now have an iSCSI SAN that I
need thrown in the mix. Do I need to dedicate half the nics for the
iSCSI or just pass the vlan to the domu's? I am unclear on this part.

Here is what we need for the distro/xen:

Live/automatic domu failover
Easy upgrade path between xen versions
Preferably web-based dom0 administration (not totally needed but is nice
for the others in my office)

What is the best distribution to accomplish this with the greatest of
ease/administration?

Thanks in advance

Donny B.

Re: Which distro to use for Dom0

Donny Brooks
How about the live migration parts, are they well supported in Debian? This is the biggest part I want to get working...live/auto migration.

On 1/12/2011 9:39 AM, Bruce Edge wrote:
Debian 6 (squeeze) beta 2 is good. Stable xen 4.01 available and no fuss apt-get xen installation.
Caveat: I did just install this yesterday, but was pleased by the progress so far. Much better Xen support than Ubuntu. I missed a few Ubuntu apps, like kvpm, but the maverick versions compiled and ran fine on debian 6 with no problems.

-Bruce

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 7:20 AM, Donny Brooks <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Juergen Gotteswinter
I whould stay with Centos, or if you want/need a newer Xen try SuSE.
Both got a pretty good Xen Integration

Am 12.01.11 16:42, schrieb Donny Brooks:

> How about the live migration parts, are they well supported in Debian?
> This is the biggest part I want to get working...live/auto migration.
>
> On 1/12/2011 9:39 AM, Bruce Edge wrote:
>> Debian 6 (squeeze) beta 2 is good. Stable xen 4.01 available and no
>> fuss apt-get xen installation.
>> Caveat: I did just install this yesterday, but was pleased by the
>> progress so far. Much better Xen support than Ubuntu. I missed a few
>> Ubuntu apps, like kvpm, but the maverick versions compiled and ran
>> fine on debian 6 with no problems.
>>
>> -Bruce
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 7:20 AM, Donny Brooks
>>
>> When I first started using Xen I was on Ubuntu 8.04 with the
>> version of Xen that shipped with it. Now here at work I have had
>> to move to a Centos based Dom0 due to the dell OMSA requirement of
>> an rpm based os. I have found good sources on how to install OMSA
>> on just about any linux distribution so I am now in the market for
>> a new setup. Centos is fine but I was wondering if there was
>> something else out there that would be better for the dom0.
>>
>> All of my servers are Dell's and have 2 or 4 nics which I have and
>> can bond together and pass a trunk through. We now have an iSCSI
>> SAN that I need thrown in the mix. Do I need to dedicate half the
>> nics for the iSCSI or just pass the vlan to the domu's? I am
>> unclear on this part.
>>

>> Here is what we need for the distro/xen:
>>
>> Live/automatic domu failover
>> Easy upgrade path between xen versions
>> Preferably web-based dom0 administration (not totally needed but
>> is nice for the others in my office)
>>
>> What is the best distribution to accomplish this with the greatest
>> of ease/administration?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> Donny B.

>> http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users

Re: Which distro to use for Dom0

Donny Brooks
I am not worried about the xen version really. I have 4.0 on centos
currently from the third party repo. I mainly need whatever supports the
best live/auto migration. Basically if I have a server fail I need
whatever was running on it to switch to the backup server "automagically".

Food for thought: What would be the difference in the above support
between Ubuntu/Debian and Fedora 14?

On 1/12/2011 10:27 AM, Juergen Gotteswinter wrote:

> I whould stay with Centos, or if you want/need a newer Xen try SuSE.
> Both got a pretty good Xen Integration
>
> Am 12.01.11 16:42, schrieb Donny Brooks:
>> How about the live migration parts, are they well supported in Debian?
>> This is the biggest part I want to get working...live/auto migration.
>>
>> On 1/12/2011 9:39 AM, Bruce Edge wrote:
>>> Debian 6 (squeeze) beta 2 is good. Stable xen 4.01 available and no
>>> fuss apt-get xen installation.
>>> Caveat: I did just install this yesterday, but was pleased by the
>>> progress so far. Much better Xen support than Ubuntu. I missed a few
>>> Ubuntu apps, like kvpm, but the maverick versions compiled and ran
>>> fine on debian 6 with no problems.
>>>
>>> -Bruce
>>>
>>> On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 7:20 AM, Donny Brooks
>>>
>>> When I first started using Xen I was on Ubuntu 8.04 with the
>>> version of Xen that shipped with it. Now here at work I have had
>>> to move to a Centos based Dom0 due to the dell OMSA requirement of
>>> an rpm based os. I have found good sources on how to install OMSA
>>> on just about any linux distribution so I am now in the market for
>>> a new setup. Centos is fine but I was wondering if there was
>>> something else out there that would be better for the dom0.
>>>
>>> All of my servers are Dell's and have 2 or 4 nics which I have and
>>> can bond together and pass a trunk through. We now have an iSCSI
>>> SAN that I need thrown in the mix. Do I need to dedicate half the
>>> nics for the iSCSI or just pass the vlan to the domu's? I am
>>> unclear on this part.
>>>

>>> Here is what we need for the distro/xen:
>>>
>>> Live/automatic domu failover
>>> Easy upgrade path between xen versions
>>> Preferably web-based dom0 administration (not totally needed but
>>> is nice for the others in my office)
>>>
>>> What is the best distribution to accomplish this with the greatest
>>> of ease/administration?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance
>>>
>>> Donny B.

>>> http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users

Re: Which distro to use for Dom0

Digimer
On 01/12/2011 11:55 AM, Donny Brooks wrote:
> I am not worried about the xen version really. I have 4.0 on centos
> currently from the third party repo. I mainly need whatever supports the
> best live/auto migration. Basically if I have a server fail I need
> whatever was running on it to switch to the backup server "automagically".
>
> Food for thought: What would be the difference in the above support
> between Ubuntu/Debian and Fedora 14?

Automatic VM migration in a failure would best be achieved with a 2-node
cluster. Fedora 14 would be best there, as I believe most of the
developers of Pacemaker and RHCS use Fedora/RHEL. At the least, it's
pretty RPM-centric, then gets ported to .deb's.

That in and of itself is not always the best argument though. It was
enough to make me switch from Debian/Ubuntu to RHEL (CentOS)/Fedora though.

--
Digimer
E-Mail: [hidden email]

On 1/12/2011 10:59 AM, Digimer wrote:

> On 01/12/2011 11:55 AM, Donny Brooks wrote:
>> I am not worried about the xen version really. I have 4.0 on centos
>> currently from the third party repo. I mainly need whatever supports the
>> best live/auto migration. Basically if I have a server fail I need
>> whatever was running on it to switch to the backup server "automagically".
>>
>> Food for thought: What would be the difference in the above support
>> between Ubuntu/Debian and Fedora 14?
> Automatic VM migration in a failure would best be achieved with a 2-node
> cluster. Fedora 14 would be best there, as I believe most of the
> developers of Pacemaker and RHCS use Fedora/RHEL. At the least, it's
> pretty RPM-centric, then gets ported to .deb's.
>
> That in and of itself is not always the best argument though. It was
> enough to make me switch from Debian/Ubuntu to RHEL (CentOS)/Fedora though.

Thanks for the input. Currently we do not have any form of auto failover
so that is a must moving forward. So is pacemaker the best way to
provide auto failover with xen 4.0?

On 01/12/2011 12:12 PM, Donny Brooks wrote:

> On 1/12/2011 11:06 AM, Donny Brooks wrote:

>>> Automatic VM migration in a failure would best be achieved with a 2-node
>>> cluster. Fedora 14 would be best there, as I believe most of the
>>> developers of Pacemaker and RHCS use Fedora/RHEL. At the least, it's
>>> pretty RPM-centric, then gets ported to .deb's.
>>>
>>> That in and of itself is not always the best argument though. It was
>>> enough to make me switch from Debian/Ubuntu to RHEL (CentOS)/Fedora
>>> though.
>>>
>> Thanks for the input. Currently we do not have any form of auto
>> failover so that is a must moving forward. So is pacemaker the best
>> way to provide auto failover with xen 4.0?

>> [hidden email]
>> http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users
> Also, where would XCP come into play with this? Is it something I should
> consider?

I don't use XCP, so I can't comment on that.

As for clustering; Pacemaker will be the main clustered resource manager
going forward (rgmanager from RHCS is now being migrated away). I've
just started this move myself, but I do think that there are well tested
Xen OCF scripts for managing Xen VMs.

The setup you will want to look at is:
- RHEL 6 (Fedora 14/CentOS 6)
- Corosync + Pacemaker (cluster core + resource manager)
- Fencing (aka Stonith) device (IPMI, PDU, etc)
- DRBD if you don't have/want a SAN
- qdisk for proper quorum support

On 1/12/2011 11:35 AM, Digimer wrote:

> On 01/12/2011 12:12 PM, Donny Brooks wrote:

>>> Thanks for the input. Currently we do not have any form of auto
>>> failover so that is a must moving forward. So is pacemaker the best
>>> way to provide auto failover with xen 4.0?

>>> [hidden email]
>>> http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users
>> Also, where would XCP come into play with this? Is it something I should
>> consider?
> I don't use XCP, so I can't comment on that.
>
> As for clustering; Pacemaker will be the main clustered resource manager
> going forward (rgmanager from RHCS is now being migrated away). I've
> just started this move myself, but I do think that there are well tested
> Xen OCF scripts for managing Xen VMs.
>
> The setup you will want to look at is:
> - RHEL 6 (Fedora 14/CentOS 6)
> - Corosync + Pacemaker (cluster core + resource manager)
> - Fencing (aka Stonith) device (IPMI, PDU, etc)
> - DRBD if you don't have/want a SAN
> - qdisk for proper quorum support

Thanks for that. So far I am leaning toward Fedora 14. The Centos cycle
is too long and usually has packages that are way out of the range I
need (for instance OpenLDAP on my Centos 5.5 is way too old to enable
the ppolicy stuff I need even though the release is not that old). I
will look into the other software now.

What about a web based administration or domu creation? Are there any
that work well with Xen and both paravirt/full-virt domu's?

On 01/12/2011 12:43 PM, Donny Brooks wrote:

>> I don't use XCP, so I can't comment on that.
>>
>> As for clustering; Pacemaker will be the main clustered resource manager
>> going forward (rgmanager from RHCS is now being migrated away). I've
>> just started this move myself, but I do think that there are well tested
>> Xen OCF scripts for managing Xen VMs.
>>
>> The setup you will want to look at is:
>> - RHEL 6 (Fedora 14/CentOS 6)
>> - Corosync + Pacemaker (cluster core + resource manager)
>> - Fencing (aka Stonith) device (IPMI, PDU, etc)
>> - DRBD if you don't have/want a SAN
>> - qdisk for proper quorum support
>>
> Thanks for that. So far I am leaning toward Fedora 14. The Centos cycle
> is too long and usually has packages that are way out of the range I
> need (for instance OpenLDAP on my Centos 5.5 is way too old to enable
> the ppolicy stuff I need even though the release is not that old). I
> will look into the other software now.
>
> What about a web based administration or domu creation? Are there any
> that work well with Xen and both paravirt/full-virt domu's?
>
> Donny B.

Regading CentOS; RHEL 6.0 is out now, so I expect CentOS 6 to be out
"real soon now". It's quite a bit more up to date (~ Fedora 12 package
versions) and *much* better tested. I'd suggest you use Fedora 14 to
learn on, but hold off going live until CentOS 6 is out. I've pushed out
a couple of Fedora based clusters and have come to regret it to a
certain extent.

The 'virt-manager' tool is good for provisioning VMs. I know there was a
bug in virt-manager with Xen VMs, but that was a while ago and I suspect
it's been resolved. I've been hand-crafting the configs for some time
now, so I can't confirm. As for the cluster configuration, ricci + luci
provides a web-based config and is, I hear, much improved since RHEL 5
(again, I've stuck to hand crafting configs, so I can't confirm).

A final note on Xen + EL6. Red Hat dropped support for Xen because of it
not being in the mainline kernel. This changed in 2.6.37, but EL6 is
using 2.6.32, iirc. RH also disabled Xen support in the GUI tools like
virt-manager. I do know that there is work underway to get Xen'ified
dom0 kernels and rebuilt virt-manager et. al. packages into some third
party repo (EPEL, I think). The long and the short of it is; Xen should
be well supported in CentOS 6, but it won't be there on day one.

--
Digimer
E-Mail: [hidden email]
AN!Whitepapers: http://alteeve.com
Node Assassin:  http://nodeassassin.org

Re: Which distro to use for Dom0

Christian Zoffoli
debian and xen are actually in different planets ...live migration is a
pain and there are many problems in general.

If you whant something stable, updated and so on, suse sles 11 sp1 is
the way.

Here are the main reasons:
- it's based on xen 4.0 + many interesting additions (for example
virtual machines snapshots --> **not only disk snapshots**)
- it's integrated with the new cluster stack (pacemaker and friends)
- it's integrated with OCFS2 (with many interesting patches in the tree)
- it's integrated with CLVM (on pacemaker & friends)
- it has pv over hvm drivers for linux and windows (in linux pv over hvm
for 64bit VMs is better performing)
- it has a fully working and certified infiniband stack
- it's more lightweight than redhat (it's possible to make very light
installations comparable in size/occupied resources to debian)
- suse xen kernel is also the starting point of the citrix xenserver
...so it's not something different  / unmaintained etc

>From a performance perspective I suggest you to directly use CLVM for VM
images storage because I've seen poor performances in QCOW2 over OCFS2
setups.

The only big problem I can see in the future of suse is the acquisition
by a microsoft controlled company of novell ...by the way also citrix is
very microsoft dependant ...so the soup is almost the same.

Best regards,
Christian

Re: Which distro to use for Dom0

Bruce Edge

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 10:00 AM, Christian Zoffoli <[hidden email]> wrote:
debian and xen are actually in different planets ...live migration is a
pain and there are many problems in general.

If you whant something stable, updated and so on, suse sles 11 sp1 is
the way.

Here are the main reasons:
- it's based on xen 4.0 + many interesting additions (for example
virtual machines snapshots --> **not only disk snapshots**)
- it's integrated with the new cluster stack (pacemaker and friends)
- it's integrated with OCFS2 (with many interesting patches in the tree)
- it's integrated with CLVM (on pacemaker & friends)
- it has pv over hvm drivers for linux and windows (in linux pv over hvm
for 64bit VMs is better performing)
- it has a fully working and certified infiniband stack
- it's more lightweight than redhat (it's possible to make very light
installations comparable in size/occupied resources to debian)
- suse xen kernel is also the starting point of the citrix xenserver
...so it's not something different  / unmaintained etc

>From a performance perspective I suggest you to directly use CLVM for VM
images storage because I've seen poor performances in QCOW2 over OCFS2
setups.

The only big problem I can see in the future of suse is the acquisition
by a microsoft controlled company of novell ...by the way also citrix is
very microsoft dependant ...so the soup is almost the same.

Best regards,
Christian

Hard to argue with that level of functionality & integration. I'll have to look at sles 11 too.

-Bruce

Re: Which distro to use for Dom0

Christian Zoffoli
Il 12/01/2011 19:32, Bruce Edge ha scritto:
[cut]
> Hard to argue with that level of functionality & integration. I'll have
> to look at sles 11 too.

just a little note to make your life simpler ...when I've activated the
trial account I had some problem accessing the HAE packages updates (HAE
in sles 11 sp1 is pacemaker* OCFS2 CLVM ecc) ...so double check that
your trial account work as expected.

Best regards,
Christian

On 1/12/2011 12:00 PM, Christian Zoffoli wrote:

> debian and xen are actually in different planets ...live migration is a
> pain and there are many problems in general.
>
> If you whant something stable, updated and so on, suse sles 11 sp1 is
> the way.
>
> Here are the main reasons:
> - it's based on xen 4.0 + many interesting additions (for example
> virtual machines snapshots -->  **not only disk snapshots**)
> - it's integrated with the new cluster stack (pacemaker and friends)
> - it's integrated with OCFS2 (with many interesting patches in the tree)
> - it's integrated with CLVM (on pacemaker&  friends)
> - it has pv over hvm drivers for linux and windows (in linux pv over hvm
> for 64bit VMs is better performing)
> - it has a fully working and certified infiniband stack
> - it's more lightweight than redhat (it's possible to make very light
> installations comparable in size/occupied resources to debian)
> - suse xen kernel is also the starting point of the citrix xenserver
> ...so it's not something different  / unmaintained etc
>
>  From a performance perspective I suggest you to directly use CLVM for VM
> images storage because I've seen poor performances in QCOW2 over OCFS2
> setups.
>
> The only big problem I can see in the future of suse is the acquisition
> by a microsoft controlled company of novell ...by the way also citrix is
> very microsoft dependant ...so the soup is almost the same.
>

> Best regards,
> Christian

I was looking into Suse SLES 11 and it is a no go for us. Being a small
state agency with no usable budget for IT we cannot afford the $349
subscription for one year. Unless I am missing something there and they
have a totally free version.

So it looks like Fedora 14 (or centos 6) is it.

Re: Which distro to use for Dom0

Christian Zoffoli
Il 13/01/2011 16:45, Donny Brooks ha scritto:
[cut]
> I was looking into Suse SLES 11 and it is a no go for us. Being a small
> state agency with no usable budget for IT we cannot afford the $349
> subscription for one year. Unless I am missing something there and they
> have a totally free version.
>
> So it looks like Fedora 14 (or centos 6) is it.

you can use opensuse ...that's very close to sles

Best regards,
Christian

Re: Which distro to use for Dom0

shaf
I would double that from two fronts -

(1) SLES is in active development with clusterlabs providing the SLES HA
as a product that has been tested!

(2) The testing process does come in contact with the OpenSUSE project
in which lessons learned and as well as enhancements that may make it
into this project providing a huge advantage for OpenSUSE users.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Shaffin.

Il 13/01/2011 17:03, Shaffin Bhanji ha scritto:
> I would double that from two fronts -
>
> (1) SLES is in active development with clusterlabs providing the SLES HA
> as a product that has been tested!

of course ... "very close" is not "equal"

but if he cannot pay for a SLES he can use something very close.
On opensuse factory you can find almost all the packages / patches you
have on SLES.

To make a good dom0 you basically need:

1- xen: kernel + userspace
2- multipath
3- cluster stack (pacemaker & co)
4- clvm

nothing else

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/SLE11-SP1/SUSE_SLE-11_SP1/src/

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/network:/ha-clustering/SLE_11_SP1/src/

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Virtualization/SLE_11/src/

the package you can find above are a bit more updated than SLES packages
(~ next packages ...testing packages).

IMHO opensuse is better than fedora for xen purposes and centos6 is not
released (5.x with the old cluster stack is meaningless)

Best regards,
Christian

RE: Which distro to use for Dom0

Jeff Sturm

More to the point:  OpenSuSE appears to be the community flavor of SLES,
just as Fedora is the community variant of RHEL.

If I were to reject SLES due to cost in favor of Fedora, presumably I'd
reject RHEL for the same reasons, and it would be silly to ignore
OpenSuSE.

-Jeff

On Thursday, January 13, 2011 11:41 AM CST, Jeff Sturm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

We don't have any money for ANY OS so, yes I would have to dismiss RHEL for Fedora. And I do that already. All of our machines here run either Centos, Fedora, or Ubuntu. We do have a windows 2008R2 server that we were able to purchase with grant money for a project but it limited us to only windows.

I will look into the OpenSuse project and see if it will do what we want. I have not used any Suse distro in about 13 years so it may take some re-learning!

--

Donny B.

MDAH

Re: Which distro to use for Dom0

Itamar Reis Peixoto
On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 4:02 PM, Donny Brooks <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thursday, January 13, 2011 11:41 AM CST, Jeff Sturm
> <[hidden email]> wrote:

you can use centos and install a 2.6.32 dom0 on it and xen 4.0

look at fedora xen mailing list.

Itamar Reis Peixoto
msn, google talk: [hidden email]
+55 11 4063 5033 (FIXO SP)