Why Xen Project need an OS for doing Virtualization?

Why Xen Project need an OS for doing Virtualization?

Jason Long
Hello.
If Xen Project is a type-1 Hypervisor then why it need an OS for doing Virtualization?

Thanks.

Re: Why Xen Project need an OS for doing Virtualization?

Simon Hobson-2
Jason Long <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If Xen Project is a type-1 Hypervisor then why it need an OS for doing Virtualization?

I suspect the answer to that is "technically it doesn't - but how are you going to interact with the hypervisor without it ?"

By default, many many things (eg network and emulated storage) are routed via Dom0, and you need a way to interact with the hypervisor (eg start & stop virtual machines). AIUI you can switch at least some of these to use another DomU - but given the current design, you still need Dom0 to control the system.

Re: Why Xen Project need an OS for doing Virtualization?

Mohsen
How about other Virtualization platforms like ESXi? I mean is why Xen Project not created its own OS?

 Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Why Xen Project need an OS for doing Virtualization?
 To: [hidden email]
 Date: Tuesday, July 17, 2018, 8:32 PM

 Jason Long <[hidden email]>