Windows VM no longer boots

Chris-177
Hello,

I just updated my system from Debian 8 to 9.  My paravirtualized linux
boxes came up just fine, but my win10 box will not boot.  I've been
googling for a couple days now looking for insight, and have been
flipping parameters in my config file... but nothing seems to work.

when I try to start using "Xl create vmwin10.cfg":

libxl: error: libxl_create.c:152:libxl__domain_build_info_setdefault:
direct boot parameters specified but kernel missing
libxl: error: libxl_create.c:935:initiate_domain_create: Unable to set
domain build info defaults

or:

WARNING: you seem to be using "kernel" directive to override HVM guest
firmware. Ignore that. Use "firmware_override" instead if you really
want a non-default firmware
libxl: error: libxl_create.c:152:libxl__domain_build_info_setdefault:
direct boot parameters specified but kernel missing
libxl: error: libxl_create.c:935:initiate_domain_create: Unable to set
domain build info defaults

depending upon whether I have the first line in my config commented or
uncommented (I've been running for years with it commented).

My Config:
#kernel = '/usr/lib/xen-4.8/boot/hvmloader'
#builder = 'hvm'
type = 'hvm'
vcpus = '2'
cpus = "7,8"
memory = '8192'
root        = '/dev/xvda2 ro'
disk = [ 'phy:/dev/vg1/vmwin10,ioemu:xvda,w' ]
name = 'win10'
vif=['type=ioemu,bridge=xenbr0,mac=00:16:3E:36:6F:38']
on_poweroff = 'destroy'
on_reboot = 'restart'
on_crash = 'restart'
boot = 'dc'
acpi = '1'
apic = '1'
viridian = '1'
#xen_platform_pci='1'
sdl = '0'
vnc = '1'
vnclisten = '0.0.0.0'
vncpasswd = ''
stdvga = '0'
usb = '1'
usbdevice = 'tablet'
#pci = ['01:00.0','01:00.1','00:1d.0']
device_model_version = "qemu-xen"
device_model_override = "/usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64"
bios = "seabios"

It was running great under Jessie... so I'm not sure if something
changed in xen 4.8, or if I missed a dependency, but I cannot find
anything online about it, and I've looked over my packages a few times
over.  There have been no hardware changes... and my linux on linux
servers are working great.

Sorry, I hope this isn't a stupid question... but I'm exhausted at this point.

Thanks for the help.

Re: Windows VM no longer boots

Ian Tobin-2
Hi,

Not sure if it helps but I have all these commented out

# Device Model to be used
#device_model = 'qemu-dm'
#device_model_override = 'qemu-xen-traditional'
#device_model_override = 'qemu-io'
#device_model_version = 'qemu-xen-traditional'

Failing that, take an example config and edit the bits you really need.

Thanks

Ian

Re: Windows VM no longer boots

Chris-177
Yeah, I've been trying that... I've stripped it down to almost
nothing, and flipped everything I can think of.

As far as an example config goes... I'm not finding much.  Everything
out there is so old re: windows VMs.  I don't know why this would
suddenly stop working unless there is some fundamental change to the
configuration for hvm(s) or if I'm missing some component somewhere...
but I cannot find what that would be.  I've installed pretty much
everything on the system that has to do with Xen and Qemu for
x86/x86_64 architectures.

If you have working config that you can share, that would be helpful.

thanks.

Quoting Ian Tobin <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> Not sure if it helps but I have all these commented out
>
> # Device Model to be used
> #device_model = 'qemu-dm'
> #device_model_override = 'qemu-xen-traditional'
> #device_model_override = 'qemu-io'
> #device_model_version = 'qemu-xen-traditional'
>
> Failing that, take an example config and edit the bits you really need.
>
> Thanks
>
> Ian

Christoph Kaminski
This one cfg is working for me (xen 4.7 - 4.10)

name = "marax.chao5.int"
uuid = "e0de3cb7-3937-417d-8d63-b0993b377b6a"
maxmem = 4096
memory = 4096
vcpus = 8
pae = 1
acpi = 1
apic = 1
viridian = 1
rtc_timeoffset = 0
localtime = 1
on_poweroff = "destroy"
on_reboot = "restart"
on_crash = "restart"
sdl = 0
vnc = 1
vncunused = 0
vncdisplay = 100
vnclisten = "192.168.50.40"
vif = [
"mac=00:16:3e:05:01:10,bridge=xenbr5,script=vif-bridge,model=e1000" ]
parallel = "none"
serial = "none"
builder = "hvm"
boot = "d"
disk = [
"format=raw,vdev=hda,access=rw,backendtype=phy,target=/dev/vg_lilith/lv_marax_c",
"format=raw,vdev=hdb,access=rw,backendtype=phy,target=/dev/vg_lilith/lv_marax_d"
]

Am 2018-04-12 02:51, schrieb cjdl01:

> Yeah, I've been trying that... I've stripped it down to almost
> nothing, and flipped everything I can think of.
>
> As far as an example config goes... I'm not finding much.  Everything
> out there is so old re: windows VMs.  I don't know why this would
> suddenly stop working unless there is some fundamental change to the
> configuration for hvm(s) or if I'm missing some component somewhere...
>  but I cannot find what that would be.  I've installed pretty much
> everything on the system that has to do with Xen and Qemu for
> x86/x86_64 architectures.
>
> If you have working config that you can share, that would be helpful.
>
> thanks.

------
Greetz

Re: Windows VM no longer boots

Chris-177
Thank you for that, Christoph.  I appreciate it.  I used your exact
example.  Unfortunately, that yields the same results... I also tried
stripping that down to the bare minimum, also with no luck.

I'm wondering if something got botched on my system...

I guess I have to resign myself to a reinstall...