Quantcast

[XCP] Error when trying to import vmware images

[XCP] Error when trying to import vmware images

Jordan Tomkinson
Hi list,

I have recently migrated to XCP from Vmware Server 2 and have run into issues importing the VM's

Following citrix's guide I tried using XenCenter to do the import directly on the vmdk files
this resulted in XenCenter logging this error:

 "Failed to import. ---> System.Exception: Failed to import virtual disk file. ---> System.Xml.XmlException: Root element is missing."

Followed by a stack trace (I can attach full logs if requested)

I get this same error when trying to import exported OVF files from VMware Workstation

The citrix guide also mentions using xe vm-import, this gives me:

[root@xcp ~]# xe vm-import filename=/mnt/vmware/MyVM.vmdk sr-uuid=2c8e28b5-e0b4-2901-9635-1c824f43aeb6
The VM could not be imported.
msg: INTERNAL_ERROR: [ Failure("int_of_string") ]

I have also run "qemu-img convert -f vmdk MyVM.vmdk -O raw xen_compat.img" and tried to "xe vm-import" the img file but was presented with the same error.

What am I doing wrong here?

Re: [XCP] Error when trying to import vmware images

Jordan Tomkinson
For anyone interested, I have diagnosed the problem...

It appears as though the "Import VM" feature of XenCenter relies on a hidden "Transfer VM" that exists in XenServer but interestingly not XCP.

I found this guide from Citrix to restore the Transfer VM on a XenServer - http://blogs.citrix.com/2010/12/09/diagnosing-xenserver-appliance-wizard-failures/ - and will attempt to copy the Transfer VM into my XCP server and install it there.

I will keep the list updated on my progress.

It would be nice to know why the Transfer VM was not included with XCP 1.1 and whether it will be in XCP 1.5 ?

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 2:09 PM, Jordan Tomkinson <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Success!

copying /packages.transfer-vm/xenserver-transfer-vm-6.0.0-50762p.noarch.rpm from the XenServer 6.0 install ISO to my XCP 1.1 server and installing it (rpm -ivh xenserver-transfer-vm-6.0.0-50762p.noarch.rpm) creates the transfer vm needed to do (vmware) imports from XenCenter

I also bumped my xapi version up to 6.0 (see http://wiki.xen.org/xenwiki/XenCenterXCP) but I don't think this was required.

Hope this info helps someone else out there and looking forward to seeing the transfer vm as part of XCP 1.5 ( ?? )

Jordan

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 8:10 PM, Jordan Tomkinson <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Could someone please tell me to rtfm so i can reply with vague comments about Germans and Faulty Towers ?
It seemed to work just fine for another thread on this list, it now has 47 replies.. all spammy spam spam spam but at least the OP doesn't feel like hes talking to a brick wall.
Maybe I'm the only one using XCP, maybe your all zombies.. cat disco.

catdisco.jpg (57K) Download Attachment

Re: [XCP] Error when trying to import vmware images

Andrew Eross
Maybe this will help, Jordan: http://xkcd.com/293/

just replace toaster with XCP and you're there.

More usefully:

There's a citrix article/tool for doing vmware conversions:

The article suggests exporting to OVF from vmware first (I was using vmware ESXi myself), which works, but it's really slow. So if you have a big 300GB VM like I did, you can instead just directly copy out the VMDK files (via sftp, or via HTTP from the ESX web interface) and go from there.

The main catch is that before doing a vmdk conversion with xenconvert, you need to consolidate everything down to a single vmdk to avoid headaches (e.g. delete all snapshots, etc).. xenconvert doesn't handle multiple vmdks at once.

I can't remember exactly why, but myself, I ran into some difficulties.. and I remember I ended up converting my vmdks to VHDs first, and then I successfully used this acronis tool to migrate those VHDs into XCP:

I wanted to run that acronis tool from a separate linux box, so I setup the xe management CLI on another machine like this:

Cheers,
Andrew

Re: [XCP] Error when trying to import vmware images

Andrew Eross
ah neat also, just saw the "solved" email from before that I missed.

Did that completely work for you? e.g. basically let you use xencenter to directly import a vmdk successfully into xcp 1.1?

Cheers,
Andrew