XCP networking

rvegas
I have setup XCP on 2 X hp bl460c blades within a c7000 enclosure. The enclosure cisco 3020 switch has a trunk setup to a cisco 6500.
reading through the docs it says that xcp will use a virtual switch and vlans. i'm a bit confused on how to setup the nic of the actual blade.
the only option i have is to set it up as an access port. which means that its part of only one vlan.

vm1 --- vswitch= vlan 12
vm2 --- vswitch= vlan 14

blade nic0 = vlan 12

enclosure trunk vlan 12, 14

so with the setup above, only packets from vm1 will get forwarded. i guess this is more of a cisco question.

Re: XCP networking

Todd Deshane-2
On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 7:45 PM, rvegas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have setup XCP on 2 X hp bl460c blades within a c7000 enclosure. The
> enclosure cisco 3020 switch has a trunk setup to a cisco 6500.
> reading through the docs it says that xcp will use a virtual switch and
> vlans. i'm a bit confused on how to setup the nic of the actual blade.
> the only option i have is to set it up as an access port. which means that
> its part of only one vlan.
>
> vm1 --- vswitch= vlan 12
> vm2 --- vswitch= vlan 14
>
> blade nic0 = vlan 12
>
> enclosure trunk vlan 12, 14
>
> so with the setup above, only packets from vm1 will get forwarded. i guess
> this is more of a cisco question.

from: http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX123489
"Configuring the XenServer management interface on a VLAN network is
not supported"

So be sure to use a different nic (not the management one) for your vlan stuff.

Creating vlans:
http://docs.vmd.citrix.com/XenServer/5.6.0fp1/1.0/en_gb/reference.html#networking-standalone_host_config-vlans

Re: XCP networking

rvegas
Thank you for your response. My server only has 2 nics. So i need to add more interfaces to this server, in order to setup vlans?

Re: XCP networking

Christian Fischer-11
On Tuesday 22 February 2011 06:21:36 rvegas wrote:
> Thank you for your response. My server only has 2 nics. So i need to add
> more interfaces to this server, in order to setup vlans?

There's no native support handling the XenServer management interface on a
VLAN network inside XenServer/XCP. But OpenVSwitch is able to handle that.

The management interface xenbrFOO is from openvswitchs point of view a simple
switchport FOO, member of the vswitch/bridge FOO. We run our own vswitch
initialization.

What you have to do is tagging the xenbrFOO with the appropriate vlan tag.
We do that by calling configure_ovs() which is sourced from file
/etc/init.d/ovscfg inside /etc/init.d/management-interface.

/etc/init.d/ovscfg:

#!/bin/bash
# ovs additional configuration

OVS_CMD='/usr/bin/ovs-vsctl'
MANAGEMENT_VLAN=<your management vlan id>

configure_ovs() {
    # place all the additional vswitch configuration stuff here

    ${OVS_CMD} --timeout=20 -- \
    set port xenbrFOO tag=${MANAGEMENT_VLAN}
}

/etc/init.d/management-interface:

#!/bin/bash
#
# Bring up XenServer management interface
#
# chkconfig: 2345 13 76

. /etc/init.d/functions
. /etc/init.d/ovscfg
[snip]
start() {
    bring_up_mgmt_if
    bring_up_current_ifs
    configure_ovs
}
[snip]

But I think it's not a management vlan question if vlan 14 isn't forwarded,
but vlan 12 is.

Hope that helps.
Christian

Re: XCP networking

rvegas
Thanx for your response chris. just so im clear:

nic0 - no ip address set to trunk mode -- cisco3020 to 6500 (also set as trunk)

xcp configured as a trunk, with open switch.

this will allow me to have management as well as vlans for guests?

can i use xe to configure the vlans or is messing with the configs the only way?

Re: XCP networking

Christian Fischer-11
On Thursday 24 February 2011 07:08:32 rvegas wrote:

> Thanx for your response chris. just so im clear:
>
> nic0 - no ip address set to trunk mode -- cisco3020 to 6500 (also set as
> trunk)
>
> xcp configured as a trunk, with open switch.
>
> this will allow me to have management as well as vlans for guests?
>
> can i use xe to configure the vlans or is messing with the configs the only
> way?

XCP creates one vswitch per ethernet interface for you, named xenbrFOO.

It creates for nic0 vswitch (bridge) xenbr0 with one external port eth0 and
one internal port xenbr0. Internal port xenbr0 gets the management IP
assigned. Port eth0 gets nothing assinged, it carries all packets, tagged or
not, to outside per default.

If you like to have virtual lans for the guests simply create the network and
the vlan with xe. The PIF to use is eth0. If you create this XCP adds a new
internal port to vswitch xenbr0, named xapiFOO, which is a virtual network
interface. All guest network interfaces bound to this network are added to
vswitch xenbr0 as internal switch ports with the network vlanID assigned
(untagged vlan).

If you like to have a virtual lan for the management you must tag the internal
switchport xenbr0 (untagged vlan), which seems not possible with xe.

Re: XCP networking

rvegas
Thanx again for your response Chris.
So i did as you said.
xenbr0 has ip 10.0.0.10
on the switch it has vlan access mode 120

when i change this to vlan trunk allow vlan 120. i loose connectivity to the host. It seems like eth0 is not forwarding vlan packets.

Do i have to setup vlans on linux as well? or is xen adding vlan info to out going packets. is Nic0 supposed to be like a forwarding port only?

Re: XCP networking

rvegas
Nevermind it works.
for some reason it wont execute from the management-interface file.
i had to run /usr/bin/ovs-vsctl manually

chris, appreciate your help