[XEN][ARM] WiFi bridge creation

Vikram K
Hello,

We are using Hikey960 with Debian as Dom0 and DomU. This board has only WiFi interface. We want to create bridge between Dom0 and DomU so that DomU has internet access. We tried to create bridge using brtcl command, but it is not working. Please provide pointers.

This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual(s) named. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this mail and attached file/s is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secured or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.

Re: [XEN][ARM] WiFi bridge creation

Vladimir Botka
On Tue, 30 Oct 2018 10:03:22 +0530
Vikram K <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
> We are using Hikey960 with Debian as Dom0 and DomU. This board has only
> WiFi interface. We want to create bridge between Dom0 and DomU so that DomU
> has internet access. We tried to create bridge using brtcl command, but it
> is not working. Please provide pointers.

AFAIK, it's not working
https://marc.info/?l=linux-wireless&m=136743495526905&w=2
"There is a proposed fix that is included in OpenWrt"
https://marc.info/?l=linux-wireless&m=145591129008322&w=2
More details are avilable in OpenWrt WiKi
https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/relayclient

HTH,

-vlado

Re: [XEN][ARM] WiFi bridge creation

Vikram K
Hi,

  As per below link, it is possible to share Internet via WiFi between Dom0 and DomU,.

  Tried the suggested solution using ebtables, but it did not work.
 ebtables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 00:60:00:00:00:01 \
              -j snat --to-source 00:60:aa:bb:cc:dd

 In the configurations file we have added below configuration in DomU config file.
vif = ['mac=00:16:3e:64:b8:40']

Apart from that do we need to add any addition configuration?

--
Thanks & Regards
Vikram KS

This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual(s) named. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this mail and attached file/s is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secured or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.

Re: [XEN][ARM] WiFi bridge creation

Vladimir Botka
> On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 12:39 PM Vladimir Botka <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On Tue, 30 Oct 2018 10:03:22 +0530
> > Vikram K <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > > We are using Hikey960 with Debian as Dom0 and DomU. This board has only
> > > WiFi interface. We want to create bridge between Dom0 and DomU so that
> > > DomU
> > > has internet access. We tried to create bridge using brtcl command, but
> > > it
> > > is not working. Please provide pointers.

> > AFAIK, it's not working
> > https://marc.info/?l=linux-wireless&m=136743495526905&w=2
> > "There is a proposed fix that is included in OpenWrt"
> > https://marc.info/?l=linux-wireless&m=145591129008322&w=2
> > More details are avilable in OpenWrt WiKi
> > https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/relayclient
> > -vlado

On Tue, 30 Oct 2018 15:01:39 +0530
Vikram K <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> As per below link, it is possible to share Internet via WiFi between Dom0
> and DomU,.
> https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_in_WiFi_networks
> Tried the suggested solution using ebtables, but it did not work.
> * ebtables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 00:60:00:00:00:01 \
>               -j snat --to-source 00:60:aa:bb:cc:dd*
> In the configurations file we have added below configuration in DomU
> config file.
> * vif = ['mac=00:16:3e:64:b8:40']*
> Apart from that do we need to add any addition configuration?
NAT is a different story. Worked for me with Armbian(no XEN) and Atheros 9280
couple of years ago. I used Ansible to configure it.
https://github.com/vbotka/ansible-linux-postinstall/blob/master/templates/router1-iptables.j2

HTH,

- vlado

Re: [XEN][ARM] WiFi bridge creation

Vikram K
Thanks Vladimir.

Can some one provide pointer/reference on how to use NAT to share WiFi between Dom0 and DomU.
Followed the instruction provided in the below link, but no success.

Vikram K <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks Vladimir.
> Can some one provide pointer/reference on how to use NAT to share WiFi
> between Dom0 and DomU.
> Followed the instruction provided in the below link, but no success.
> https://wiki.debian.org/BridgeNetworkConnections#Bridging_with_a_wireless_NIC

NAT is feasible. Follow the links and come back with specific questions in
an appropriate list, if needed. Wifi bridge is NO-GO at the moment.

A: Because we read from top to bottom.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: The lost context.
Q: What makes top-posted replies harder to read than bottom-posted?
A: Yes.
Q: Should I trim down the quoted part of an email to which I'm replying?

-vlado