XEN, FreeRTOS, SAFERTOS

Cohen, Michele
Hello,

I saw wiki on security and XEN considering adding FreeRTOS.  I was wondering if SAFERTOS had been considered as extension to increase integrity?

SAFERTOS is based on the functional model of the FreeRTOS kernel, however, it is not the FreeRTOS kernel. It has been completely re-designed by a team of functional safety experts at WHIS. Their engineers took the FreeRTOS kernel functional model, subjected it to a full HAZOP, and generated a set of safety requirements. The resulting functional and safety requirements sets were put through an IEC 61508-3 SIL 3 development life cycle, creating the SAFERTOS code base and DAP.
https://www.freertos.org/FreeRTOS-Plus/Safety_Critical_Certified/SafeRTOS.shtml

https://www.highintegritysystems.com/downloads/manuals_and_datasheets/Upgrading_from_FreeRTOS_to_SafeRTOS.PDF

I was
Michele Cohen

Re: XEN, FreeRTOS, SAFERTOS

Phil Susi
On 9/4/2018 7:19 PM, Cohen, Michele wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I saw wiki on security and XEN considering adding FreeRTOS.  I was wondering if SAFERTOS had been considered as extension to increase integrity?

FreeRTOS/SafeRTOS is a light weight ( and not very well designed ) task
switcher for embedded systems.  How is it in any way related to Xen?

> SAFERTOS is based on the functional model of the FreeRTOS kernel, however, it is not the FreeRTOS kernel. It has been completely re-designed by a team of functional safety experts at WHIS. Their engineers took the FreeRTOS kernel functional model, subjected it to a full HAZOP, and generated a set of safety requirements. The resulting functional and safety requirements sets were put through an IEC 61508-3 SIL 3 development life cycle, creating the SAFERTOS code base and DAP.
> https://www.freertos.org/FreeRTOS-Plus/Safety_Critical_Certified/SafeRTOS.shtml

As far as I have seen, the only difference is that SafeRTOS has had many
of its object creation routines changed to take a pointer to a static
buffer instead of making heap allocations because some egg heads think
that any heap allocation must be forbidden in embedded systems.