Xen 3.0.0 - NFS Problems?

Linn Boyd
I know that NFS was a problem with the older kernels, but we are
currently seeing a problem when a system is placed under a high file
transfer load that it crashes not only the domU but the dom0 as well. I
am using NFS on a central server that handles transfers fine and when
you give the dom0 a high diskload or nfs load it is fine, but i a domU
gets one it will die. We aren't using a direct xen nfs mount, but the
file backed method. Also it gives 0 error logs 0 debug logs, just a
total freeze, processor load goes to 99.0% then to .2% in xm top but the
system is hung. Does anyone have any idea of where to look or any
suggestions as to how to solve this? We like the file method for
storage, because all of our scripts are setup for this. Also rebuilding
a 1.5TB NFS array just doesn't sound pleasant right now.

Thanks,

Linn

RE: Xen 3.0.0 - NFS Problems?

Ian Pratt
> I know that NFS was a problem with the older kernels, but we
> are currently seeing a problem when a system is placed under
> a high file transfer load that it crashes not only the domU
> but the dom0 as well. I am using NFS on a central server that
> handles transfers fine and when you give the dom0 a high
> diskload or nfs load it is fine, but i a domU gets one it
> will die. We aren't using a direct xen nfs mount, but the
> file backed method. Also it gives 0 error logs 0 debug logs,
> just a total freeze, processor load goes to 99.0% then to .2%
> in xm top but the system is hung. Does anyone have any idea
> of where to look or any suggestions as to how to solve this?
> We like the file method for storage, because all of our
> scripts are setup for this. Also rebuilding a 1.5TB NFS array
> just doesn't sound pleasant right now.

This is a well-known issue with native linux -- heavy writes through a
loop device to an NFS filesystem will cause the kernel to run out of
memory and Oops.

Ian