Xen 3.0-7608 hangs on boot with SMP

Michal Ludvig
Hi there,

I've got OpenSUSE 10.0 installed on VIA DP310 board (2xVIA C3 @1GHz).
The stock kernel 2.6.13-15.7-smp works just fine but attempting to boot
up xen-3.0_7608-2.1 with kernel 2.6.13-15.7-xen hangs up at:
ACPI: Assume root bridge [\_SB_.PCI0] segment is 0

Full screenshot (err, real screenshot this time :-) is at
http://www.logix.cz/michal/etc/dp310_xen.jpg

Any ideas what's wrong? Are there any parameters that I should try?

Thanks!

Michal Ludvig
--
* Personal homepage: http://www.logix.cz/michal

Xen 3.0-8259 hangs on boot with SMP

Michal Ludvig
Fernando Maior wrote:

> On 1/10/06, Michal Ludvig <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>I've got OpenSUSE 10.0 installed on VIA DP310 board (2xVIA C3 @1GHz).
>>The stock kernel 2.6.13-15.7-smp works just fine but attempting to boot
>>up xen-3.0_7608-2.1 with kernel 2.6.13-15.7-xen hangs up at:
>>ACPI: Assume root bridge [\_SB_.PCI0] segment is 0
>>
>>Full screenshot (err, real screenshot this time :-) is at
>>http://www.logix.cz/michal/etc/dp310_xen.jpg
>>
>>Any ideas what's wrong? Are there any parameters that I should try?
>>
> I wonder if you updated your Xen rpms with the new ones from
> http://www.suse.de/~garloff/linux/xen/RPMs-100/8259/, including
> the kernel. It seems not. And I would recomend it for you.

Just tried build 8259 and no difference. Bootup still hangs at
ACPI: Assume root bridge [\_SB_.PCI0] segment is 0

Even with most of those "failsafe" options (nosmp acpi=off noapic ...)
it hangs, just the last line is a bit different in that case:
PCI: probing PCI hardware (bus 00)

Can I switch on more verbose output? Or should I tweak some BIOS
settings? Or give some parameters to xen-3.0.gz kernel to do ...
iDontKnowWhat?

Thanks!

Michal Ludvig
--
* Personal homepage: http://www.logix.cz/michal

Re: Xen 3.0-8259 hangs on boot with SMP

Michal Ludvig
Fernando Maior wrote:

> Just checking: did you copy /lib/modules/2.6.13-15.7-xen from the
> dom0 filesystem into the guest domain filesystem? Also, what about
> you /etc/xen/<guestdomain> config file? Can you show me a copy?

Both these questions are unfortunately irrelevant as I can't even boot
dom0 :-(

> Also, have look at this:
>
> http://lse.sourceforge.net/kdump/kdump-test-reports/4/results
>
> I did try a search at Google with "ACPI: Assume root bridge" and
> found it, along with other links that may be of interest.

Could you elaborate please? I can't see a relevance to my problem.

> And, I would turn of ACPI in BIOS, if possible. Anyway, for a server,
> it is not of any use...

I'm not sure I can turn it off completely but I'll try in the evening
once I'm physically back with the machine. However I tried acpi=off
kernel option and it still hung while detecting PCI (just a guess from
the last line printed on the screen).

Michal Ludvig
--
* Personal homepage: http://www.logix.cz/michal