Xen 3 with PAE and more than 4GB of memory on X86 32bit

Xen 3 with PAE and more than 4GB of memory on X86 32bit

Andrew Turnbull
Hi

This is a general question has anyone got Xen 3 to work with more than
4GIG of memory installed on there physical machine?

I have tried 2 different machines with more than 4 GIG of memory with
no success as yet.

I can get Xen0 booting no problem, i run service xend start with no
problem, i then run xm info and it sees more than 4 gig of memory
available. Fantastic up to this point.

After creating my xenU config script. I then run into problems.

However when I try to do an xm create xen01 (for instance) it comes up
with invalid argument error 22 and then the second time its error 14,
then 22 then 14 and so.

I would be happy to send my logs etc.

Thanks

Andrew

RE: Xen 3 with PAE and more than 4GB of memory on X86 32bit

Ian Pratt
> This is a general question has anyone got Xen 3 to work with
> more than 4GIG of memory installed on there physical machine?
>
> I have tried 2 different machines with more than 4 GIG of
> memory with no success as yet.
>
> I can get Xen0 booting no problem, i run service xend start
> with no problem, i then run xm info and it sees more than 4
> gig of memory available. Fantastic up to this point.
>
> After creating my xenU config script. I then run into problems.
>
> However when I try to do an xm create xen01 (for instance) it
> comes up with invalid argument error 22 and then the second
> time its error 14, then 22 then 14 and so.

We use PAE on up to 16GB systems all the time. Try using xen-bugtool to
create a report.

Thanks,
Ian

Re: Xen 3 with PAE and more than 4GB of memory on X86 32bit

Andrew Turnbull
Hi

I think I found the answer, I wasnt setting the memory in both Xen0
and XenU to 64GB.

Xen0 was 64G and XenU was 4GB.

Thanks