Xen Questions

liebrecht
See sections labeled QUESTION. The other text is to understand the
questions and background.

I never had reason to consider Xen as I dual boot operating systems as
needed.
Now I am seemingly forced to use Xen and I want to find out if it can do
what I want.
This is for personal use and not commercial.

I have a 24 core 64GB mem. rackserver that needs to run windows and
linux.
Linux does just fine sees, all 24 cores all memory (even my old FC7
distro) I used for numerical programming for studies long ago,

Windows is another can of worms.
It seems that Windows 7&10 Professional will do two processors each of
12 cores from the specifications.
However, there is NO WAY Windows 7 or 10 will install on this server.

QUESTION: Does Microsoft detect it is a rackserver and then
intentionally prevent the install forcing you to buy Windows server ?

Both 7 and 10 fails after the first reboot during install.
I dont particularly want to use windows server as I need the bells and
whistles of Windows 7 and 10 which server doesnt have.

It seems a hypervisor like XEN is the only way around the windows
conundrum as I can fool t to to look like a normal pc running it
virtually.

QUESTION:
How does Firewire and USB perform in XEN when hosting Windows ? Is there
any lack of USB/Firewire support or is performance sub par. ?

It seems that XEN is the only option to get 7pro and/or 10pro to run on
this machine.

thanks !

Re: Xen Questions

Kun Cheng

> See sections labeled QUESTION. The other text is to understand the questions
> and background.
>
> I never had reason to consider Xen as I dual boot operating systems as
> needed.
> Now I am seemingly forced to use Xen and I want to find out if it can do
> what I want.
> This is for personal use and not commercial.
>
> I have a 24 core 64GB mem. rackserver that needs to run windows and linux.
> Linux does just fine sees, all 24 cores all memory (even my old FC7 distro)
> I used for numerical programming for studies long ago,
>
> Windows is another can of worms.
> It seems that Windows 7&10 Professional will do two processors each of 12
> cores from the specifications.
> However, there is NO WAY Windows 7 or 10 will install on this server.
>
> QUESTION: Does Microsoft detect it is a rackserver and then intentionally
> prevent the install forcing you to buy Windows server ?
No, usually Windows installation should see it as a generic machine,
nothing related to 'rackserver' will be exposed.

> Both 7 and 10 fails after the first reboot during install.
> I dont particularly want to use windows server as I need the bells and
> whistles of Windows 7 and 10 which server doesnt have.
>
> It seems a hypervisor like XEN is the only way around the windows conundrum
> as I can fool t to to look like a normal pc running it virtually.
>
> QUESTION:
> How does Firewire and USB perform in XEN when hosting Windows ? Is there any
> lack of USB/Firewire support or is performance sub par. ?
Pretty good in my case, I haven't found any serious issues in my daily use.

> It seems that XEN is the only option to get 7pro and/or 10pro to run on this
> machine.
>
> thanks !

Re: Xen Questions

admin-3
Thank you for the response.
It seems like XEN might help me a lot due to your response.

I started installing Xenserver and it chokes at "select video modes" and
the Xen installer just hangs hard. No luck.

Since I can install about every linux distro on this machine it is not
an issue with the machine itself, this must be a Citrix issue, so I wont
entertain you with Citrix issues here.

Is there any linux distro with a built in XEN kernel from which I can
install windows and maybe two other linux distros in order that I dont
have to use Citrix's ISO ?.

The online information is confusing and I always gets to Citrix's isos
looking for the purely community Xen distribution.

Thanks

Kun Cheng wrote:

>> See sections labeled QUESTION. The other text is to understand the
>> questions
>> and background.
>>
>> I never had reason to consider Xen as I dual boot operating systems as
>> needed.
>> Now I am seemingly forced to use Xen and I want to find out if it can
>> do
>> what I want.
>> This is for personal use and not commercial.
>>
>> I have a 24 core 64GB mem. rackserver that needs to run windows and
>> linux.
>> Linux does just fine sees, all 24 cores all memory (even my old FC7
>> distro)
>> I used for numerical programming for studies long ago,
>>
>> Windows is another can of worms.
>> It seems that Windows 7&10 Professional will do two processors each of
>> 12
>> cores from the specifications.
>> However, there is NO WAY Windows 7 or 10 will install on this server.
>>
>> QUESTION: Does Microsoft detect it is a rackserver and then
>> intentionally
>> prevent the install forcing you to buy Windows server ?
> No, usually Windows installation should see it as a generic machine,
> nothing related to 'rackserver' will be exposed.
>> Both 7 and 10 fails after the first reboot during install.
>> I dont particularly want to use windows server as I need the bells and
>> whistles of Windows 7 and 10 which server doesnt have.
>>
>> It seems a hypervisor like XEN is the only way around the windows
>> conundrum
>> as I can fool t to to look like a normal pc running it virtually.
>>
>> QUESTION:
>> How does Firewire and USB perform in XEN when hosting Windows ? Is
>> there any
>> lack of USB/Firewire support or is performance sub par. ?
> Pretty good in my case, I haven't found any serious issues in my daily
> use.
>> It seems that XEN is the only option to get 7pro and/or 10pro to run
>> on this
>> machine.
>>
>> thanks !

Re: Xen Questions

L. Mark Stone-4
Xen Project (not Citrix) downloads are here: https://www.xenproject.org/downloads/xen-archives.html

Linux Distro Information is here: https://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_Project_Software_Overview#Host_and_Guest_Install

Hope that helps,
Mark
A Message From...  L. Mark Stone, General Manager

"Uptime.  All the time." ®    www.reliablenetworks.com

Sixteen Years In Business!  2003 - 2018!

92 Oak Street   |   Portland, ME 04101   |   (<a onclick="window.top.Com_Zimbra_Phone.unsetOnbeforeunload()" href="callto:+1207%29%20772-5678" data-mce-href="callto:+1207%29%20772-5678">207) 772-5678

Citrix XenApp/XenDesktop Hosting  |  SOC 2 Type II Audit
Zimbra Groupware  |  Mission-Critical Cloud Hosting

This email may contain information that is privileged and confidential.
If you suspect that you were not intended to receive it, please delete
it and notify us as soon as possible. Thank you.

Kun Cheng wrote:

>> See sections labeled QUESTION. The other text is to understand the
>> questions
>> and background.
>>
>> I never had reason to consider Xen as I dual boot operating systems as
>> needed.
>> Now I am seemingly forced to use Xen and I want to find out if it can
>> do
>> what I want.
>> This is for personal use and not commercial.
>>
>> I have a 24 core 64GB mem. rackserver that needs to run windows and
>> linux.
>> Linux does just fine sees, all 24 cores all memory (even my old FC7
>> distro)
>> I used for numerical programming for studies long ago,
>>
>> Windows is another can of worms.
>> It seems that Windows 7&10 Professional will do two processors each of
>> 12
>> cores from the specifications.
>> However, there is NO WAY Windows 7 or 10 will install on this server.
>>
>> QUESTION: Does Microsoft detect it is a rackserver and then
>> intentionally
>> prevent the install forcing you to buy Windows server ?
> No, usually Windows installation should see it as a generic machine,
> nothing related to 'rackserver' will be exposed.
>> Both 7 and 10 fails after the first reboot during install.
>> I dont particularly want to use windows server as I need the bells and
>> whistles of Windows 7 and 10 which server doesnt have.
>>
>> It seems a hypervisor like XEN is the only way around the windows
>> conundrum
>> as I can fool t to to look like a normal pc running it virtually.
>>
>> QUESTION:
>> How does Firewire and USB perform in XEN when hosting Windows ? Is
>> there any
>> lack of USB/Firewire support or is performance sub par. ?
> Pretty good in my case, I haven't found any serious issues in my daily
> use.
>> It seems that XEN is the only option to get 7pro and/or 10pro to run
>> on this
>> machine.
>>
>> thanks !

Re: Xen Questions

Niels Dettenbach (Syndicat IT&Internet)
Am 8. Januar 2018 19:08:52 MEZ schrieb [hidden email]:
>Is there any linux distro with a built in XEN kernel from which I can
>install windows and maybe two other linux distros in order that I dont
>have to use Citrix's ISO ?.
>
>The online information is confusing and I always gets to Citrix's isos
>looking for the purely community Xen distribution.

I prefer Gentoo Linux as it allows to fit my dom0 onto the hardware and my expectations from sources, but afaik you could use any of the large distros. Possibly some of them have dedicated xen "flavour" kernels to install. At least Debian, Arch and Ubuntu should offer complete xen out of their main repos too.

I would just follow the howtos / mini howtos for Xen and the regarding distro.

hth a bit,

Niels.

--
Niels Dettenbach
Syndicat IT & Internet

Re: Xen Questions

Chris Laprise-2
On 01/08/2018 01:08 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Thank you for the response.
> It seems like XEN might help me a lot due to your response.
>
> I started installing Xenserver and it chokes at "select video modes" and
> the Xen installer just hangs hard. No luck.
>
> Since I can install about every linux distro on this machine it is not
> an issue with the machine itself, this must be a Citrix issue, so I wont
> entertain you with Citrix issues here.
>
> Is there any linux distro with a built in XEN kernel from which I can
> install windows and maybe two other linux distros in order that I dont
> have to use Citrix's ISO ?.

Hi,

Depending on how you need to use the Windows instances, Qubes OS may be
what you're looking for. It incorporates Xen (not Xenserver) right at
install time and has a Windows tools package.

Qubes' focus is highly secure personal computers, so I thought I'd
mention its not geared toward server use cases. It should work on server
hardware that includes a graphics card. Its also free and probably worth
a try.

https://www.qubes-os.org

--

Chris Laprise, [hidden email]