[Xen-Users] System reboots after "Scrubbing free RAM" Xen 4.0.1 linux 2.6.37-rc3

[Xen-Users] System reboots after "Scrubbing free RAM" Xen 4.0.1 linux 2.6.37-rc3

Marek Kaszycki
Hi Everyone

I have sorted out the initial issues I've had and decided to give Xen
another go.

I'm trying to run Xen using kernel 2.6.37-rc3 (previous attempt with rc1
failed, and when I gave it a second go, rc3 was already out).

As previously, 2.6.37-rc3 boots fine natively. 2.6.32 boots natively and
under Xen as dom0, but I have reservations against running 2.6.32, please
bear with me.
Booting 2.6.37-rc3 under Xen (4.0.1-1, squeeze) causes a reboot right
after "Scrubbing free RAM" appears -- I believe some tables appear just to
blink on the screen right afterwards, but I am unable to confirm just what
exactly is there -- I don't have a serial console attached -- so I am
unable to capture the output from Xen or dom0.

I am at a loss as to what causes this. I have compiled the kernel myself,
following the advice on http://wiki.xen.org/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps

Since there are additional lines after the error message, I believe the
hypervisor completes its init and the reboot happens just when the
hypervisor wants to boot dom0.

I have checked the threads:
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2010-11/msg00420.html
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2010-04/msg01227.html
My system has just 8 GB of RAM and just one CPU. Following the advice, I
have added 'noreboot' to Xen entry in grub.cfg, but even though Xen
doesn't reboot the system now, it's worse because right after "Scrubbing
free RAM", the screen goes blank, no cursor or anything, and just stays
this way.

I have uploaded the grub.cfg and kernel .config to the following locations:
http://www.kaszycki.pl/xen/grub.cfg
http://www.kaszycki.pl/xen/kconfig

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Regards,
Marek

Re: System reboots after "Scrubbing free RAM" Xen 4.0.1 linux 2.6.37-rc3

Pasi Kärkkäinen
On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 12:16:19AM +0100, Marek Kaszycki wrote:

> Hi Everyone
>
> I have sorted out the initial issues I've had and decided to give Xen
> another go.
>
> I'm trying to run Xen using kernel 2.6.37-rc3 (previous attempt with rc1
> failed, and when I gave it a second go, rc3 was already out).
>
> As previously, 2.6.37-rc3 boots fine natively. 2.6.32 boots natively and
> under Xen as dom0, but I have reservations against running 2.6.32, please
> bear with me.
> Booting 2.6.37-rc3 under Xen (4.0.1-1, squeeze) causes a reboot right
> after "Scrubbing free RAM" appears -- I believe some tables appear just
> to blink on the screen right afterwards, but I am unable to confirm just
> what exactly is there -- I don't have a serial console attached -- so I
> am unable to capture the output from Xen or dom0.
>
> I am at a loss as to what causes this. I have compiled the kernel myself,
> following the advice on http://wiki.xen.org/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps
>
> Since there are additional lines after the error message, I believe the
> hypervisor completes its init and the reboot happens just when the
> hypervisor wants to boot dom0.
>
> I have checked the threads:
> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2010-11/msg00420.html
> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2010-04/msg01227.html
> My system has just 8 GB of RAM and just one CPU. Following the advice, I
> have added 'noreboot' to Xen entry in grub.cfg, but even though Xen
> doesn't reboot the system now, it's worse because right after "Scrubbing
> free RAM", the screen goes blank, no cursor or anything, and just stays
> this way.
>
> I have uploaded the grub.cfg and kernel .config to the following locations:
> http://www.kaszycki.pl/xen/grub.cfg

Try adding "dom0_mem=1024M loglvl=all guest_loglvl=all" for xen.gz.

> http://www.kaszycki.pl/xen/kconfig
>
> Thanks in advance for all your help.

You need to set up a serial console, enable all debugging output options
from both Xen and dom0 kernel, and then paste the full serial log here.

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenSerialConsole

Also check chapter "Are there more debugging options I could enable to troubleshoot booting problems?"
from XenParavirtOps wiki page.

-- Pasi

Re: System reboots after "Scrubbing free RAM" Xen 4.0.1 linux 2.6.37-rc3

Joaquin Fernandez Piqueras

Al 25/11/10 00:16, En/na Marek Kaszycki ha escrit:

> Hi Everyone
>
> I have sorted out the initial issues I've had and decided to give Xen
> another go.
>
> I'm trying to run Xen using kernel 2.6.37-rc3 (previous attempt with
> rc1 failed, and when I gave it a second go, rc3 was already out).
>
> As previously, 2.6.37-rc3 boots fine natively. 2.6.32 boots natively
> and under Xen as dom0, but I have reservations against running 2.6.32,
> please bear with me.
> Booting 2.6.37-rc3 under Xen (4.0.1-1, squeeze) causes a reboot right
> after "Scrubbing free RAM" appears -- I believe some tables appear
> just to blink on the screen right afterwards, but I am unable to
> confirm just what exactly is there -- I don't have a serial console
> attached -- so I am unable to capture the output from Xen or dom0.
>
> I am at a loss as to what causes this. I have compiled the kernel
> myself, following the advice on
> http://wiki.xen.org/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps
>
> Since there are additional lines after the error message, I believe
> the hypervisor completes its init and the reboot happens just when the
> hypervisor wants to boot dom0.
>
> I have checked the threads:
> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2010-11/msg00420.html
> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2010-04/msg01227.html
> My system has just 8 GB of RAM and just one CPU. Following the advice,
> I have added 'noreboot' to Xen entry in grub.cfg, but even though Xen
> doesn't reboot the system now, it's worse because right after
> "Scrubbing free RAM", the screen goes blank, no cursor or anything,
> and just stays this way.
>
> I have uploaded the grub.cfg and kernel .config to the following
> locations:
> http://www.kaszycki.pl/xen/grub.cfg
> http://www.kaszycki.pl/xen/kconfig
>
> Thanks in advance for all your help.

Hi,

I have the same issue with a server with 32GB of RAM. In my case the
system reboots after "Scrubbing free RAM" when the dom0_mem parameter is
16GB or less. I don't know if my problem is related , but I
workarrounded it setting dom0_mem=17GB and when the system boots I
decrease this value to 2GB with the "xm mem-set" command.

It's not the best solution, but really I don't know how to get the
"dom0_mem=2GB" work.

Quimi

Re: System reboots after "Scrubbing free RAM" Xen 4.0.1 linux 2.6.37-rc3, crash with less than 16 GB of dom0_mem

Pasi Kärkkäinen
On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 09:06:11AM +0100, Joaquin Fernandez Piqueras wrote:

> Al 25/11/10 00:16, En/na Marek Kaszycki ha escrit:
>> Hi Everyone
>>
>> I have sorted out the initial issues I've had and decided to give Xen
>> another go.
>>
>> I'm trying to run Xen using kernel 2.6.37-rc3 (previous attempt with
>> rc1 failed, and when I gave it a second go, rc3 was already out).
>>
>> As previously, 2.6.37-rc3 boots fine natively. 2.6.32 boots natively
>> and under Xen as dom0, but I have reservations against running 2.6.32,
>> please bear with me.
>> Booting 2.6.37-rc3 under Xen (4.0.1-1, squeeze) causes a reboot right
>> after "Scrubbing free RAM" appears -- I believe some tables appear
>> just to blink on the screen right afterwards, but I am unable to
>> confirm just what exactly is there -- I don't have a serial console
>> attached -- so I am unable to capture the output from Xen or dom0.
>>
>> I am at a loss as to what causes this. I have compiled the kernel
>> myself, following the advice on
>> http://wiki.xen.org/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps
>>
>> Since there are additional lines after the error message, I believe
>> the hypervisor completes its init and the reboot happens just when the
>> hypervisor wants to boot dom0.
>>
>> I have checked the threads:
>> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2010-11/msg00420.html
>> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2010-04/msg01227.html
>> My system has just 8 GB of RAM and just one CPU. Following the advice,
>> I have added 'noreboot' to Xen entry in grub.cfg, but even though Xen
>> doesn't reboot the system now, it's worse because right after
>> "Scrubbing free RAM", the screen goes blank, no cursor or anything,
>> and just stays this way.
>>
>> I have uploaded the grub.cfg and kernel .config to the following
>> locations:
>> http://www.kaszycki.pl/xen/grub.cfg
>> http://www.kaszycki.pl/xen/kconfig
>>
>> Thanks in advance for all your help.
>>

> Hi,
>
> I have the same issue with a server with 32GB of RAM. In my case the
> system reboots after "Scrubbing free RAM" when the dom0_mem parameter is
> 16GB or less. I don't know if my problem is related , but I
> workarrounded it setting dom0_mem=17GB and when the system boots I
> decrease this value to 2GB with the "xm mem-set" command.
>
> It's not the best solution, but really I don't know how to get the
> "dom0_mem=2GB" work.

This sounds like a bug.
What dom0 kernel version were you running?
Can you post the serial log about the crash?

I added xen-devel as CC.

-- Pasi

Re: System reboots after "Scrubbing free RAM" Xen 4.0.1 linux 2.6.37-rc3, crash with less than 16 GB of dom0_mem

Joaquin Fernandez Piqueras
Al 25/11/10 09:13, En/na Pasi Kärkkäinen ha escrit:

> On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 09:06:11AM +0100, Joaquin Fernandez Piqueras wrote:
>> Al 25/11/10 00:16, En/na Marek Kaszycki ha escrit:
>>> Hi Everyone
>>>
>>> I have sorted out the initial issues I've had and decided to give Xen
>>> another go.
>>>
>>> I'm trying to run Xen using kernel 2.6.37-rc3 (previous attempt with
>>> rc1 failed, and when I gave it a second go, rc3 was already out).
>>>
>>> As previously, 2.6.37-rc3 boots fine natively. 2.6.32 boots natively
>>> and under Xen as dom0, but I have reservations against running 2.6.32,
>>> please bear with me.
>>> Booting 2.6.37-rc3 under Xen (4.0.1-1, squeeze) causes a reboot right
>>> after "Scrubbing free RAM" appears -- I believe some tables appear
>>> just to blink on the screen right afterwards, but I am unable to
>>> confirm just what exactly is there -- I don't have a serial console
>>> attached -- so I am unable to capture the output from Xen or dom0.
>>>
>>> I am at a loss as to what causes this. I have compiled the kernel
>>> myself, following the advice on
>>> http://wiki.xen.org/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps
>>>
>>> Since there are additional lines after the error message, I believe
>>> the hypervisor completes its init and the reboot happens just when the
>>> hypervisor wants to boot dom0.
>>>
>>> I have checked the threads:
>>> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2010-11/msg00420.html
>>> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2010-04/msg01227.html
>>> My system has just 8 GB of RAM and just one CPU. Following the advice,
>>> I have added 'noreboot' to Xen entry in grub.cfg, but even though Xen
>>> doesn't reboot the system now, it's worse because right after
>>> "Scrubbing free RAM", the screen goes blank, no cursor or anything,
>>> and just stays this way.
>>>
>>> I have uploaded the grub.cfg and kernel .config to the following
>>> locations:
>>> http://www.kaszycki.pl/xen/grub.cfg
>>> http://www.kaszycki.pl/xen/kconfig
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance for all your help.
>>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have the same issue with a server with 32GB of RAM. In my case the
>> system reboots after "Scrubbing free RAM" when the dom0_mem parameter is
>> 16GB or less. I don't know if my problem is related , but I
>> workarrounded it setting dom0_mem=17GB and when the system boots I
>> decrease this value to 2GB with the "xm mem-set" command.
>>
>> It's not the best solution, but really I don't know how to get the
>> "dom0_mem=2GB" work.
>>
> This sounds like a bug.
> What dom0 kernel version were you running?
> Can you post the serial log about the crash?
>
> I added xen-devel as CC.

My dom0 kernel is 2.6.32 from debian squeeze amd64.
I'm working to obtain the serial log. It's not an easy task ;)

Quimi

Re: System reboots after "Scrubbing free RAM" Xen 4.0.1 linux 2.6.37-rc3

Marek Kaszycki
Thanks to Pasi for the reply. However, the issue is still unresolved,
please read below.

> Try adding "dom0_mem=1024M loglvl=all guest_loglvl=all" for xen.gz.

Done. This didn't resolve the issue, but after "Scrubbing free RAM", there
is a progress bar (dots), which fills up and with its inevitable
efficiency, the system reboots right afterwards.

> You need to set up a serial console, enable all debugging output options
> from both Xen and dom0 kernel, and then paste the full serial log here.
>
> http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenSerialConsole

I will set one up as soon as I can. It may take some time, though, since
I'll have to hunt down the COM headers for the motherboard. I anyone has
other ideas to try to resolve this, I'd be grateful.

Regards,
Marek

Re: System reboots after "Scrubbing free RAM" Xen 4.0.1 linux 2.6.37-rc3

Felix Kuperjans
I saw this effect on some recent pv_ops kernels (esp. after 2.6.32.18);
try enabling "optimize for size" in the kernel config (general options)
if it's not enabled already. It solved the problem for me, but I've got
no time to investigate this issue now.
Would be interesting if it is the reason for you reboots, too.
If this is reproducible, it seems like some XEN code fails on -O2 or
whichever is used without this option.

Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 14:42:17 +0100
From: Felix Kuperjans <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Xen-Users] System reboots after "Scrubbing free RAM" Xen
        4.0.1 linux 2.6.37-rc3
To: [hidden email]

> I saw this effect on some recent pv_ops kernels (esp. after 2.6.32.18);
> try enabling "optimize for size" in the kernel config (general options)
> if it's not enabled already. It solved the problem for me, but I've got
> no time to investigate this issue now.
> Would be interesting if it is the reason for you reboots, too.
> If this is reproducible, it seems like some XEN code fails on -O2 or
> whichever is used without this option.

Nope, unfortunately that doesn't work. The kernel was compiled with this
option set.

I'll give the extra memory 'trick' a go next and tell you how it went. I
figure giving dom0 5 GB (1 GB over the half of total memory) will be
enough?

Regards,
Marek

Re: System reboots after "Scrubbing free RAM" Xen 4.0.1 linux 2.6.37-rc3

Marek Kaszycki-2
Okay, there is some breakthrough...

1. I've started the system with 5 GB allocated for dom0. No go.
2. Next I though, what the heck, and assigned 6 GB, no go.
3. Finally decided to assign 8 GB, no go, but another message appeared,
namely that Xen was unable to allocate I/O for IOMMU, Xen gave this
information and informed that it's rebooting in 5 seconds. I thought this
may be the key.
4. For the next try, I disabled IOMMU and assigned 5 GB to dom0. No go.
5. In the final try, I assigned 8 GB to dom0, no go, but Xen also didn't
stop and did not inform me that it's rebooting in 5 seconds, just loaded
the kernel.

Apparently I'm not hitting the same bug as Quimi.

Or maybe I am. I'm thinking now if maybe the following .config option is
wrong?
CONFIG_XEN_MAX_DOMAIN_MEMORY=128
Perhaps Xen is expecting a significant fraction of this amount of memory
to be available for dom0 (half? quarter? one-eight?) and since it's not
getting the expected amount, it simply reboots? This would be rather
unexpected, since the kernel is not loading at all, but could it be
possible? I'd be grateful if someone provided an explanation of that
kernel config option.
The squeeze 2.6.32 kernel has the memory set to 32.
I'll recompile the kernel with max domain memory set to 32 and, if that
fails, to 16, just not tonight (I'll get to it tomorrow).

Just for the record, since no one asked, I figure it's not significant,
but I am running the Xen hypervisor as provided by squeeze (4.0.1-1),
there wouldn't be any caveats or catches against running that version,
would there?

Regards,
Marek

Re: System reboots after "Scrubbing free RAM" Xen 4.0.1 linux 2.6.37-rc3

Marek Kaszycki
Okay, I've tried changing the MAX_DOMAIN_MEMORY to 32 and 16, and there's
no go. I figure I'll give the safe configs a whirl with 2.6.37 and work my
way up from them assuming they boot.

I'm still open to ideas, so don't hesitate to suggest anything that might
be half useful.

Regards,
Marek

> The squeeze 2.6.32 kernel has the memory set to 32.
> I'll recompile the kernel with max domain memory set to 32 and, if that
> fails, to 16, just not tonight (I'll get to it tomorrow).
>
> Just for the record, since no one asked, I figure it's not significant,
> but I am running the Xen hypervisor as provided by squeeze (4.0.1-1),
> there wouldn't be any caveats or catches against running that version,
> would there?

Re: System reboots after "Scrubbing free RAM" Xen 4.0.1 linux 2.6.37-rc3

Marek Kaszycki
I guess I'll give up on trying, at least until I can find a way to capture
the tty logs.

Just to confirm, though, has ANYONE managed to boot up a 2.6.37 dom0 at
all, considering it's still brand new and untested? It seems that the
highest Xen kernel available is 2.6.32 (which, as I explained previously,
is still a bit outdated for my PC), and there are no 2.6.34 (which is the
lowest revision that I would consider running) or newer.

I also found the following on the wiki:
Features queued for 2.6.37:
Initial Xen dom0 support (no backend drivers yet).
Xen PCI frontend driver required for Xen PCI Passthru to PV guest/domU.
Enhanced PV-on-HVM drivers: pirq remappings. Deliver IRQs as Xen event
channels for better performance.

What does the 'yet' in 'no backend drivers yet' refer to -- current
release candidates or the stable release?

Thanks in advance for clearing that up.

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 10:24:18PM +0100, Marek Kaszycki wrote:

> I guess I'll give up on trying, at least until I can find a way to
> capture the tty logs.
>
> Just to confirm, though, has ANYONE managed to boot up a 2.6.37 dom0 at
> all, considering it's still brand new and untested? It seems that the
> highest Xen kernel available is 2.6.32 (which, as I explained previously,
> is still a bit outdated for my PC), and there are no 2.6.34 (which is the
> lowest revision that I would consider running) or newer.
>
> I also found the following on the wiki:
> Features queued for 2.6.37:
> Initial Xen dom0 support (no backend drivers yet).
> Xen PCI frontend driver required for Xen PCI Passthru to PV guest/domU.
> Enhanced PV-on-HVM drivers: pirq remappings. Deliver IRQs as Xen event
> channels for better performance.
>
> What does the 'yet' in 'no backend drivers yet' refer to -- current
> release candidates or the stable release?

It means that no xen backend drivers have been submitted yet.
So there won't be Xen backend drivers in upcoming kernel.org Linux 2.6.37.

I believe xen-unstable includes userspace qemu blkback implementation,
so if you switch to xen 4.1 (xen-unstable) you should be able to
run guests using 2.6.37 dom0.

-- Pasi

Re: System reboots after "Scrubbing free RAM" Xen 4.0.1 linux 2.6.37-rc3

Nathan March
Not certain, but I may have encountered the same issue as you. Running
the the latest from jeremy's hg/git it crashes right after scrubbing.

Anyone have any insight? Optimizing size is turned on, I've also tried
various dom0_mem settings to no avail.

root (hd0,0)
  Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0xfd
kernel /boot/xen.gz console=com1,com2,vga com1=115200,8n1
com2=115200,8n1 dom0_ mem=1024M dom0_max_vcpus=1 dom0_vcpus_pin=true
earlyprintk=xen
    [Multiboot-elf, <0x100000:0x163000:0x145000>, shtab=0x3a8078,
entry=0x100000 ]
module /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/md0 max_loop=128 console=tty0
console=ttyS0,1152
00 console=ttyS1,115200
__  __            _  _    ___   ____              ____
  \ \/ /___ _ __   | || |  / _ \ |___ \    _ __ ___|___ \    _ __  _ __ ___
   \  // _ \ '_ \  | || |_| | | |  __) |__| '__/ __| __) |__| '_ \| '__/
_ \
   /  \  __/ | | | |__   _| |_| | / __/|__| | | (__ / __/|__| |_) | | |
__/
  /_/\_\___|_| |_|    |_|(_)___(_)_____|  |_|  \___|_____|  | .__/|_|
\___|
                                                            |_|
(XEN) Xen version 4.0.2-rc2-pre ([hidden email]) (gcc version 4.3.4
(Gentoo 4.3.4 p1.1, pie-10.1.5) ) Mon Jan 17 15:09:50 PST 2011
(XEN) Latest ChangeSet: Fri Jan 14 08:17:07 2011 +0000 21436:619a52d94f89
(XEN) Bootloader: GNU GRUB 0.97
(XEN) Command line: console=com1,com2,vga com1=115200,8n1
com2=115200,8n1 dom0_mem=1024M dom0_max_vcpus=1 dom0_vcpus_pin=true
earlyprintk=xen
(XEN) Video information:
(XEN)  VGA is text mode 80x25, font 8x16
(XEN)  VBE/DDC methods: none; EDID transfer time: 0 seconds
(XEN)  EDID info not retrieved because no DDC retrieval method detected
(XEN) Disc information:
(XEN)  Found 3 MBR signatures
(XEN)  Found 3 EDD information structures
(XEN) Xen-e820 RAM map:
(XEN)  0000000000000000 - 000000000009dc00 (usable)
(XEN)  000000000009dc00 - 00000000000a0000 (reserved)
(XEN)  00000000000e6000 - 0000000000100000 (reserved)
(XEN)  0000000000100000 - 00000000bf760000 (usable)
(XEN)  00000000bf76e000 - 00000000bf770000 type 9
(XEN)  00000000bf770000 - 00000000bf77e000 (ACPI data)
(XEN)  00000000bf77e000 - 00000000bf7d0000 (ACPI NVS)
(XEN)  00000000bf7d0000 - 00000000bf7e0000 (reserved)
(XEN)  00000000bf7ec000 - 00000000c0000000 (reserved)
(XEN)  00000000e0000000 - 00000000f0000000 (reserved)
(XEN)  00000000fee00000 - 00000000fee01000 (reserved)
(XEN)  00000000ffc00000 - 0000000100000000 (reserved)
(XEN)  0000000100000000 - 0000000c40000000 (usable)
(XEN) ACPI: RSDP 000F9FB0, 0024 (r2 ACPIAM)
(XEN) ACPI: XSDT BF770100, 008C (r1 SMCI            20101005 MSFT       97)
(XEN) ACPI: FACP BF770290, 00F4 (r3 100510 FACP1516 20101005 MSFT       97)
(XEN) ACPI: DSDT BF7706A0, 5A4A (r1  30007 30007000        0 INTL 20051117)
(XEN) ACPI: FACS BF77E000, 0040
(XEN) ACPI: APIC BF770390, 011E (r1 100510 APIC1516 20101005 MSFT       97)
(XEN) ACPI: MCFG BF7704B0, 003C (r1 100510 OEMMCFG  20101005 MSFT       97)
(XEN) ACPI: SLIT BF7704F0, 0030 (r1 100510 OEMSLIT  20101005 MSFT       97)
(XEN) ACPI: OEMB BF77E040, 0082 (r1 100510 OEMB1516 20101005 MSFT       97)
(XEN) ACPI: SRAT BF77A6A0, 0190 (r1 100510 OEMSRAT         1 INTL        1)
(XEN) ACPI: HPET BF77A830, 0038 (r1 100510 OEMHPET  20101005 MSFT       97)
(XEN) ACPI: DMAR BF77E0D0, 0130 (r1    AMI  OEMDMAR        1 MSFT       97)
(XEN) ACPI: SSDT BF780AC0, 12C9 (r1 DpgPmm    CpuPm       12 INTL 20051117)
(XEN) ACPI: EINJ BF77A870, 0130 (r1  AMIER AMI_EINJ 20101005 MSFT       97)
(XEN) ACPI: BERT BF77AA00, 0030 (r1  AMIER AMI_BERT 20101005 MSFT       97)
(XEN) ACPI: ERST BF77AA30, 01B0 (r1  AMIER AMI_ERST 20101005 MSFT       97)
(XEN) ACPI: HEST BF77ABE0, 00A8 (r1  AMIER ABC_HEST 20101005 MSFT       97)
(XEN) System RAM: 49142MB (50322420kB)
(XEN) Domain heap initialised DMA width 32 bits
(XEN) Processor #0 6:12 APIC version 21
(XEN) Processor #2 6:12 APIC version 21
(XEN) Processor #4 6:12 APIC version 21
(XEN) Processor #16 6:12 APIC version 21
(XEN) Processor #18 6:12 APIC version 21
(XEN) Processor #20 6:12 APIC version 21
(XEN) Processor #32 6:12 APIC version 21
(XEN) Processor #34 6:12 APIC version 21
(XEN) Processor #36 6:12 APIC version 21
(XEN) Processor #48 6:12 APIC version 21
(XEN) Processor #50 6:12 APIC version 21
(XEN) Processor #52 6:12 APIC version 21
(XEN) IOAPIC[0]: apic_id 1, version 32, address 0xfec00000, GSI 0-23
(XEN) IOAPIC[1]: apic_id 3, version 32, address 0xfec8a000, GSI 24-47
(XEN) Enabling APIC mode:  Phys.  Using 2 I/O APICs
(XEN) Using scheduler: SMP Credit Scheduler (credit)
(XEN) Detected 2266.801 MHz processor.
(XEN) Initing memory sharing.
(XEN) VMX: Supported advanced features:
(XEN)  - APIC MMIO access virtualisation
(XEN)  - APIC TPR shadow
(XEN)  - Extended Page Tables (EPT)
(XEN)  - Virtual-Processor Identifiers (VPID)
(XEN)  - Virtual NMI
(XEN)  - MSR direct-access bitmap
(XEN)  - Unrestricted Guest
(XEN) EPT supports 2MB super page.
(XEN) HVM: ASIDs enabled.
(XEN) HVM: VMX enabled
(XEN) HVM: Hardware Assisted Paging detected.
(XEN) Intel VT-d Snoop Control enabled.
(XEN) Intel VT-d Dom0 DMA Passthrough not enabled.
(XEN) Intel VT-d Queued Invalidation enabled.
(XEN) Intel VT-d Interrupt Remapping not enabled.
(XEN) I/O virtualisation enabled
(XEN)  - Dom0 mode: Relaxed
(XEN) Enabled directed EOI with ioapic_ack_old on!
(XEN) Total of 12 processors activated.
(XEN) ENABLING IO-APIC IRQs
(XEN)  -> Using old ACK method
(XEN) TSC is reliable, synchronization unnecessary
(XEN) Platform timer is 14.318MHz HPET
N) Allocated console ring of 32 KiB.
(XEN) Brought up 12 CPUs
(XEN) *** LOADING DOMAIN 0 ***
(XEN)  Xen  kernel: 64-bit, lsb, compat32
(XEN)  Dom0 kernel: 64-bit, PAE, lsb, paddr 0x1000000 -> 0x1c89000
(XEN) PHYSICAL MEMORY ARRANGEMENT:
(XEN)  Dom0 alloc.:   0000000438000000->000000043a000000 (253952 pages
to be allocated)
(XEN) VIRTUAL MEMORY ARRANGEMENT:
(XEN)  Loaded kernel: ffffffff81000000->ffffffff81c89000
(XEN)  Init. ramdisk: ffffffff81c89000->ffffffff81c89000
(XEN)  Phys-Mach map: ffffffff81c89000->ffffffff81e89000
(XEN)  Start info:    ffffffff81e89000->ffffffff81e894b4
(XEN)  Page tables:   ffffffff81e8a000->ffffffff81e9d000
(XEN)  Boot stack:    ffffffff81e9d000->ffffffff81e9e000
(XEN)  TOTAL:         ffffffff80000000->ffffffff82000000
(XEN)  ENTRY ADDRESS: ffffffff81a00200
(XEN) Dom0 has maximum 1 VCPUs
(XEN) Scrubbing Free RAM:
..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................done.
(XEN) Xen trace buffers: disabled
(XEN) Std. Loglevel: Errors and warnings
(XEN) Guest Loglevel: Nothing (Rate-limited: Errors and warnings)
(XEN) Xen is relinquishing VGA console.
(XEN) *** Serial input -> DOM0 (type 'CTRL-a' three times to switch
input to Xen)
(XEN) Freed 176kB init memory.
mapping kernel into physical memory
Xen: setup ISA identity maps
about to get started...
(XEN) d0:v0: unhandled page fault (ec=0000)
(XEN) Pagetable walk from ffffffff81c984e8:
(XEN)  L4[0x1ff] = 0000000439003067 0000000000001003
(XEN)  L3[0x1fe] = 0000000439007067 0000000000001007
(XEN)  L2[0x00e] = 0000000000000000 ffffffffffffffff
(XEN) domain_crash_sync called from entry.S
(XEN) Domain 0 (vcpu#0) crashed on cpu#0:
(XEN) ----[ Xen-4.0.2-rc2-pre  x86_64  debug=n  Not tainted ]----
(XEN) CPU:    0
(XEN) RIP:    e033:[<ffffffff81037544>]
(XEN) RFLAGS: 0000000000000206   EM: 1   CONTEXT: pv guest
(XEN) rax: ffffffff81c98000   rbx: 8000000001e9d063   rcx: 000000000000000f
(XEN) rdx: 0000000000000000   rsi: 0000000001e9d000   rdi: 000000000000009d
(XEN) rbp: ffffffff81919b78   rsp: ffffffff81919b30   r8:  000000000000000e
(XEN) r9:  000000000000000f   r10: 000000000000000f   r11: 0000000001e9d000
(XEN) r12: ffffffff81a8a000   r13: 0000000000000000   r14: 0000000000000001
(XEN) r15: 0000000001e9d000   cr0: 000000008005003b   cr4: 00000000000026f0
(XEN) cr3: 0000000439001000   cr2: ffffffff81c984e8
(XEN) ds: 0000   es: 0000   fs: 0000   gs: 0000   ss: e02b   cs: e033
(XEN) Guest stack trace from rsp=ffffffff81919b30:
(XEN)    000000000000000f 0000000001e9d000 0000000000000000 ffffffff81037544
(XEN)    000000010000e030 0000000000010006 ffffffff81919b78 000000000000e02b
(XEN)    ffffffff81919bc0 ffffffff81919b88 ffffffff8103755c ffffffff81919ba0
(XEN)    ffffffff8103765e 8000000001e9d063 ffffffff81919bc0 ffffffff81037def
(XEN)    000000000000000f ffffffffff400000 ffffffff81919c10 ffffffff810373cf
(XEN)    0000000001e9d000 000000000000000f 000000000000000f 000000000000000e
(XEN)    8000000001e9d063 0000000001e9d000 8000000000000163 0000000340000000
(XEN)    ffffffff81919c48 ffffffff81a153af 0000000000000000 ffffffff81919cd8
(XEN)    ffffffff81079590 00000000000009ff 0000000001e9d000 ffffffff81919c88
(XEN)    ffffffff81a15595 8000000000000163 0000000001e9d000 8000000000000163
(XEN)    ffffffff81919d28 0000000100000000 0000000340000000 ffffffff81919c98
(XEN)    ffffffff81a15635 ffffffff81919cc8 ffffffff815f9e68 0000000000000000
(XEN)    0000000340000000 8000000000000163 ffff880001002020 ffffffff81919d58
(XEN)    ffffffff81a3c833 ffffffff81919db8 ffffffff8161c9f1 0000000000000000
(XEN)    0000000000000000 0000000340000000 ffff880001002000 0000000000000000
(XEN)    0000000000000004 0000000000000000 000000000000000f ffffffff8182b69f
(XEN)    0000000340000000 0000000000000001 ffffffff81001880 ffff880100000000
(XEN)    ffff880340000000 ffffffff81919db8 ffffffff81a3c9df ffffffff81919d88
(XEN)    0000000000000000 ffff880340000000 ffff880001007078 ffffffff81919db8
(XEN)    ffffffff81919e20 0000000000000001 0000000000000000 ffffffff81870344
(XEN) Domain 0 crashed: rebooting machine in 5 seconds.

- Nathan

Re: System reboots after "Scrubbing free RAM" Xen 4.0.1 linux 2.6.37-rc3

Nathan March
Here's the output again after rebuilding with debug=y, although it
doesn't look like it's added anything useful:

root (hd0,0)
  Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0xfd
kernel /boot/xen.gz console=com1,com2,vga com1=115200,8n1
com2=115200,8n1 dom0_
mem=1024M dom0_max_vcpus=1 dom0_vcpus_pin=true earlyprintk=xen
    [Multiboot-elf, <0x100000:0x177000:0x141000>, shtab=0x3b8078,
entry=0x100000
]
module /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/md0 max_loop=128 console=tty0
console=ttyS0,1152
00 console=ttyS1,115200
  __  __            _  _    ___   ____              ____
  \ \/ /___ _ __   | || |  / _ \ |___ \    _ __ ___|___ \    _ __  _ __ ___
   \  // _ \ '_ \  | || |_| | | |  __) |__| '__/ __| __) |__| '_ \| '__/
_ \
   /  \  __/ | | | |__   _| |_| | / __/|__| | | (__ / __/|__| |_) | | |
__/
  /_/\_\___|_| |_|    |_|(_)___(_)_____|  |_|  \___|_____|  | .__/|_|
\___|
                                                            |_|
(XEN) Xen version 4.0.2-rc2-pre ([hidden email]) (gcc version 4.3.4
(Gentoo 4.3.4 p1.1, pie-10.1.5) ) Mon Jan 17 16:05:55 PST 2011
[...]
(XEN) SRAT: PXM 0 -> APIC 0 -> Node 0
(XEN) SRAT: PXM 0 -> APIC 2 -> Node 0
(XEN) SRAT: PXM 0 -> APIC 4 -> Node 0
(XEN) SRAT: PXM 0 -> APIC 16 -> Node 0
(XEN) SRAT: PXM 0 -> APIC 18 -> Node 0
(XEN) SRAT: PXM 0 -> APIC 20 -> Node 0
(XEN) SRAT: PXM 1 -> APIC 32 -> Node 1
(XEN) SRAT: PXM 1 -> APIC 34 -> Node 1
(XEN) SRAT: PXM 1 -> APIC 36 -> Node 1
(XEN) SRAT: PXM 1 -> APIC 48 -> Node 1
(XEN) SRAT: PXM 1 -> APIC 50 -> Node 1
(XEN) SRAT: PXM 1 -> APIC 52 -> Node 1
(XEN) SRAT: Node 0 PXM 0 0-a0000
(XEN) SRAT: Node 0 PXM 0 100000-c0000000
(XEN) SRAT: Node 0 PXM 0 100000000-640000000
(XEN) SRAT: Node 1 PXM 1 640000000-c40000000
(XEN) NUMA: Allocated memnodemap from c3ffed000 - c3fffa000
(XEN) NUMA: Using 8 for the hash shift.
(XEN) Domain heap initialised DMA width 32 bits
(XEN) found SMP MP-table at 000ff780
(XEN) DMI present.
(XEN) Using APIC driver default
(XEN) ACPI: PM-Timer IO Port: 0x808
(XEN) ACPI: ACPI SLEEP INFO: pm1x_cnt[804,0], pm1x_evt[800,0]
(XEN) ACPI:                  wakeup_vec[bf77e00c], vec_size[20]
(XEN) ACPI: Local APIC address 0xfee00000
(XEN) ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x01] lapic_id[0x00] enabled)
(XEN) Processor #0 6:12 APIC version 21
(XEN) ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x02] lapic_id[0x02] enabled)
(XEN) Processor #2 6:12 APIC version 21
(XEN) ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x03] lapic_id[0x04] enabled)
(XEN) Processor #4 6:12 APIC version 21
(XEN) ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x04] lapic_id[0x10] enabled)
(XEN) Processor #16 6:12 APIC version 21
(XEN) ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x05] lapic_id[0x12] enabled)
(XEN) Processor #18 6:12 APIC version 21
(XEN) ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x06] lapic_id[0x14] enabled)
(XEN) Processor #20 6:12 APIC version 21
(XEN) ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x07] lapic_id[0x20] enabled)
(XEN) Processor #32 6:12 APIC version 21
(XEN) ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x08] lapic_id[0x22] enabled)
(XEN) Processor #34 6:12 APIC version 21
(XEN) ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x09] lapic_id[0x24] enabled)
(XEN) Processor #36 6:12 APIC version 21
(XEN) ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x0a] lapic_id[0x30] enabled)
(XEN) Processor #48 6:12 APIC version 21
(XEN) ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x0b] lapic_id[0x32] enabled)
(XEN) Processor #50 6:12 APIC version 21
(XEN) ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x0c] lapic_id[0x34] enabled)
(XEN) Processor #52 6:12 APIC version 21
(XEN) ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x0d] lapic_id[0x8c] disabled)
(XEN) ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x0e] lapic_id[0x8d] disabled)
(XEN) ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x0f] lapic_id[0x8e] disabled)
(XEN) ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x10] lapic_id[0x8f] disabled)
(XEN) ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x11] lapic_id[0x90] disabled)
(XEN) ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x12] lapic_id[0x91] disabled)
(XEN) ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x13] lapic_id[0x92] disabled)
(XEN) ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x14] lapic_id[0x93] disabled)
(XEN) ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x15] lapic_id[0x94] disabled)
(XEN) ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x16] lapic_id[0x95] disabled)
(XEN) ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x17] lapic_id[0x96] disabled)
(XEN) ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x18] lapic_id[0x97] disabled)
(XEN) ACPI: LAPIC_NMI (acpi_id[0xff] dfl dfl lint[0x1])
(XEN) Overriding APIC driver with bigsmp
(XEN) ACPI: IOAPIC (id[0x01] address[0xfec00000] gsi_base[0])
(XEN) IOAPIC[0]: apic_id 1, version 32, address 0xfec00000, GSI 0-23
(XEN) ACPI: IOAPIC (id[0x03] address[0xfec8a000] gsi_base[24])
(XEN) IOAPIC[1]: apic_id 3, version 32, address 0xfec8a000, GSI 24-47
(XEN) ACPI: INT_SRC_OVR (bus 0 bus_irq 0 global_irq 2 dfl dfl)
(XEN) ACPI: INT_SRC_OVR (bus 0 bus_irq 9 global_irq 9 high level)
(XEN) ACPI: IRQ0 used by override.
(XEN) ACPI: IRQ2 used by override.
(XEN) ACPI: IRQ9 used by override.
(XEN) Enabling APIC mode:  Phys.  Using 2 I/O APICs
(XEN) ACPI: HPET id: 0x8086a301 base: 0xfed00000
(XEN) PCI: MCFG configuration 0: base e0000000 segment 0 buses 0 - 255
(XEN) PCI: MCFG area at e0000000 reserved in E820
(XEN) Using ACPI (MADT) for SMP configuration information
(XEN) Using scheduler: SMP Credit Scheduler (credit)
(XEN) Detected 2266.799 MHz processor.
(XEN) Initing memory sharing.
(XEN) VMX: Supported advanced features:
(XEN)  - APIC MMIO access virtualisation
(XEN)  - APIC TPR shadow
(XEN)  - Extended Page Tables (EPT)
(XEN)  - Virtual-Processor Identifiers (VPID)
(XEN)  - Virtual NMI
(XEN)  - MSR direct-access bitmap
(XEN)  - Unrestricted Guest
(XEN) EPT supports 2MB super page.
(XEN) HVM: ASIDs enabled.
(XEN) HVM: VMX enabled
(XEN) HVM: Hardware Assisted Paging detected.
(XEN) Intel machine check reporting enabled
(XEN) Intel VT-d Snoop Control enabled.
(XEN) Intel VT-d Dom0 DMA Passthrough not enabled.
(XEN) Intel VT-d Queued Invalidation enabled.
(XEN) Intel VT-d Interrupt Remapping not enabled.
(XEN) I/O virtualisation enabled
(XEN)  - Dom0 mode: Relaxed
(XEN) Enabled directed EOI with ioapic_ack_old on!
(XEN) Total of 12 processors activated.
(XEN) ENABLING IO-APIC IRQs
(XEN)  -> Using old ACK method
(XEN) ..TIMER: vector=0xF0 apic1=0 pin1=2 apic2=-1 pin2=-1
(XEN) TSC is reliable, synchronization unnecessary
(XEN) Platform timer is 14.318MHz HPET
N) Allocated console ring of 128 KiB.
(XEN) microcode.c:73:d32767 microcode: CPU1 resumed
(XEN) microcode.c:73:d32767 microcode: CPU5 resumed
(XEN) microcode.c:73:d32767 microcode: CPU2 resumed
(XEN) microcode.c:73:d32767 microcode: CPU3 resumed
(XEN) microcode.c:73:d32767 microcode: CPU4 resumed
(XEN) Brought up 12 CPUs
(XEN) microcode.c:73:d32767 microcode: CPU9 resumed
(XEN) microcode.c:73:d32767 microcode: CPU7 resumed
(XEN) microcode.c:73:d32767 microcode: CPU11 resumed
(XEN) microcode.c:73:d32767 microcode: CPU6 resumed
(XEN) microcode.c:73:d32767 microcode: CPU8 resumed
(XEN) microcode.c:73:d32767 microcode: CPU10 resumed
(XEN) Turbo Mode detected!
(XEN) ACPI sleep modes: S3
(XEN) mcheck_poll: Machine check polling timer started.
(XEN) *** LOADING DOMAIN 0 ***
(XEN) elf_parse_binary: phdr: paddr=0x1000000 memsz=0x917000
(XEN) elf_parse_binary: phdr: paddr=0x1917000 memsz=0xd1228
(XEN) elf_parse_binary: phdr: paddr=0x19e9000 memsz=0x888
(XEN) elf_parse_binary: phdr: paddr=0x19ea000 memsz=0x159d8
(XEN) elf_parse_binary: phdr: paddr=0x1a00000 memsz=0x289000
(XEN) elf_parse_binary: memory: 0x1000000 -> 0x1c89000
(XEN) elf_xen_parse_note: GUEST_OS = "linux"
(XEN) elf_xen_parse_note: GUEST_VERSION = "2.6"
(XEN) elf_xen_parse_note: XEN_VERSION = "xen-3.0"
(XEN) elf_xen_parse_note: VIRT_BASE = 0xffffffff80000000
(XEN) elf_xen_parse_note: ENTRY = 0xffffffff81a00200
(XEN) elf_xen_parse_note: HYPERCALL_PAGE = 0xffffffff81009000
(XEN) elf_xen_parse_note: FEATURES =
"!writable_page_tables|pae_pgdir_above_4gb"
(XEN) elf_xen_parse_note: PAE_MODE = "yes"
(XEN) elf_xen_parse_note: LOADER = "generic"
(XEN) elf_xen_parse_note: unknown xen elf note (0xd)
(XEN) elf_xen_parse_note: SUSPEND_CANCEL = 0x1
(XEN) elf_xen_parse_note: HV_START_LOW = 0xffff800000000000
(XEN) elf_xen_parse_note: PADDR_OFFSET = 0x0
(XEN) elf_xen_addr_calc_check: addresses:
(XEN)     virt_base        = 0xffffffff80000000
(XEN)     elf_paddr_offset = 0x0
(XEN)     virt_offset      = 0xffffffff80000000
(XEN)     virt_kstart      = 0xffffffff81000000
(XEN)     virt_kend        = 0xffffffff81c89000
(XEN)     virt_entry       = 0xffffffff81a00200
(XEN)     p2m_base         = 0xffffffffffffffff
(XEN)  Xen  kernel: 64-bit, lsb, compat32
(XEN)  Dom0 kernel: 64-bit, PAE, lsb, paddr 0x1000000 -> 0x1c89000
(XEN) PHYSICAL MEMORY ARRANGEMENT:
(XEN)  Dom0 alloc.:   0000000438000000->000000043a000000 (253952 pages
to be allocated)
(XEN) VIRTUAL MEMORY ARRANGEMENT:
(XEN)  Loaded kernel: ffffffff81000000->ffffffff81c89000
(XEN)  Init. ramdisk: ffffffff81c89000->ffffffff81c89000
(XEN)  Phys-Mach map: ffffffff81c89000->ffffffff81e89000
(XEN)  Start info:    ffffffff81e89000->ffffffff81e894b4
(XEN)  Page tables:   ffffffff81e8a000->ffffffff81e9d000
(XEN)  Boot stack:    ffffffff81e9d000->ffffffff81e9e000
(XEN)  TOTAL:         ffffffff80000000->ffffffff82000000
(XEN)  ENTRY ADDRESS: ffffffff81a00200
(XEN) Dom0 has maximum 1 VCPUs
(XEN) elf_load_binary: phdr 0 at 0xffffffff81000000 -> 0xffffffff81917000
(XEN) elf_load_binary: phdr 1 at 0xffffffff81917000 -> 0xffffffff819e8228
(XEN) elf_load_binary: phdr 2 at 0xffffffff819e9000 -> 0xffffffff819e9888
(XEN) elf_load_binary: phdr 3 at 0xffffffff819ea000 -> 0xffffffff819ff9d8
(XEN) elf_load_binary: phdr 4 at 0xffffffff81a00000 -> 0xffffffff81a87000
(XEN) Scrubbing Free RAM:
..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................done.
(XEN) Xen trace buffers: disabled
(XEN) Std. Loglevel: All
(XEN) Guest Loglevel: All
(XEN) Xen is relinquishing VGA console.
(XEN) *** Serial input -> DOM0 (type 'CTRL-a' three times to switch
input to Xen)
(XEN) Freed 172kB init memory.
(XEN) ----[ Xen-4.0.2-rc2-pre  x86_64  debug=y  Not tainted ]----
[...]

maxxer
did you ever solve this?
thanks

Re: System reboots after "Scrubbing free RAM" Xen 4.0.1 linux 2.6.37-rc3

Emmanuel COURCELLE
Le 16/07/2012 10:13, maxxer a écrit :

> did you ever solve this?
> thanks

> http://lists.xen.org/xen-users
This happened to me with servers having a lot of memory (100Gb or more)
This was corrected with dom0_mem=512M among other parameters in the
multiboot grub.cfg file

If you are on debian, the best solution is to add
GRUB_CMDLINE_XEN="dom0_mem=512M dom0_max_vcpus=1 dom0_vcpus_pin" to the
file /etc/default/grub, then update-grub and reboot

Hope this helps

--
Emmanuel COURCELLE                [hidden email]
L.I.P.M. (UMR CNRS-INRA 2594/441) tel (33) 5-61-28-54-50

http://lists.xen.org/xen-users

Re: System reboots after "Scrubbing free RAM" Xen 4.0.1 linux 2.6.37-rc3

maxxer
> If you are on debian, the best solution is to add
> GRUB_CMDLINE_XEN="dom0_mem=512M dom0_max_vcpus=1 dom0_vcpus_pin" to
> the file /etc/default/grub, then update-grub and reboot

I've added your options but still it's rebooting after scrubbing ram :(

--
Lorenzo Milesi - [hidden email]

GPG/PGP Key-Id: 0xE704E230 - http://keyserver.linux.it

http://lists.xen.org/xen-users

Re: System reboots after "Scrubbing free RAM" Xen 4.0.1 linux 2.6.37-rc3

Mark van Dijk-4
On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 11:05:02 +0200 (CEST)
Lorenzo Milesi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > If you are on debian, the best solution is to add
> > GRUB_CMDLINE_XEN="dom0_mem=512M dom0_max_vcpus=1 dom0_vcpus_pin" to
> > the file /etc/default/grub, then update-grub and reboot
>
> I've added your options but still it's rebooting after scrubbing
> ram :(

Are you using a Debian Xen package? Or did you compile Xen from source?
If the latter, did you compile Xen with or without custom CFLAGS and/or
LDFLAGS in your environment?

The tricky part with these kinds of errors is that you don't see what
happens after RAM has been scrubbed. So maybe it has nothing to do with
the scrubbing.

This page might be of interest to you:
http://wiki.xensource.com/wiki/Debugging_Xen

HTH,
Mark

http://lists.xen.org/xen-users

Re: System reboots after "Scrubbing free RAM" Xen 4.0.1 linux 2.6.37-rc3

maxxer
> Are you using a Debian Xen package? Or did you compile Xen from
> source?

Debian packages.
I compared the packages installed with another system I've built some months ago and they're nearly the same version, relatively newer kernel here...

> This page might be of interest to you:
> http://wiki.xensource.com/wiki/Debugging_Xen

I tried starting with noreboot but ok, it won't reboot, buut will show a black screen :(
I believe the only way is to connect a serial console...